Most useful, non-official-photographic thing in your camera bag?

Always a bottle of water, nothing worse than being thirsty.

Pen and paper (also soon to be pencil!)

I take carrier bags too for covering the camera in rain/sitting on/picking up litter

This threads also reminded me I've been meaning to pick up a small torch!

A pair of neoprene fishing gloves that allow you to uncover both thumb and index finger!.... As well as usual, pencil & paper, plastic bags, rubber bands, mini torch, Old Uncle Tom Cobbley and all!

its got to be a few plastic bags/bin bags /gloves /hat and a bottle of coke

I've got a multi-tool penknife, used mainly for attaching my tripod, a couple of plastic bags with clean dry cloths and a set of handwarmers. I usually have a bottle of hand cleaning gel in there as well for after a snack or something so I don't get my camera greasy.

+1

They keep splitting in my bag though. Ordered some big ones from Amazon and getting the MiL to make a velcro pouch for them to stop spillage.

I bought the SG made by Peli. Come in a sealed metal container (very light) and when they go clear bung them in the oven to regenerate. Also, they won't split but are a bit pricey. Hey Ho....

Nurofen tablets as there is nothing worse than getting a blinding headache while out and also Hand/face wipes, the type that are at chinese restrurants. very useful if having a burger during a break.

Last edited:
Thanks for that one, been looking for gloves like this!

Just measure your hands correctly. I added an extra 1/2 size on mine as normally gloves aren't that good on size. But I could have stuck to the originally measurement.
They know what they are going size wise.

Stingoes, Aeroguard and Sunscreen..... I do live in far north Queensland after all!!

My top 3:-

1.Chinograph pencil and waterproof notebook (military surplus / outward bound shops)

2.Chamois leather - ideal for putting over the camera and lens for light rain. Damp fog and mist between shots.(£1 shops)

3.String, bulldog clips - ideal for holding back foliage if it interferes with shot. (£1 shops)

Sent from my iPad using Talk Photography Forums

Foam garden kneeler, protects the knees from trackside concrete & it's warm to sit on waiting for the next race :)

A squeaker from a dog toy. I do loads of dog photography and it's essential for getting good expressions. Otherwise a bin bag for kneeling on when I haven't got my mat with me, and a multitool just in case.

Half of a pair of waterproof overtrousers (one leg - not the top half!). The best cheap lens rain cover yet.

For a brief second i did think 'Waterproof shorts?!?"

For me, it's black masking/insulation tape (BMT) holds half the british army together that stuff, as well as half my camera bag and it's contents.
A carabiner, for clipping the dog's lead to things so he can't run off and chase things and I don't have to hold him, as he has a habit of suddenly pulling my arm with his lead when I'm about to take a shot, I swear he does it on purpose.
A £15 tesco LED torch, with some greaseproof paper taped over the front to soften the light. Useful for extra light, light painting and seeing what the hell i'm doing of a night time.

lemsip max strength capsules, seems to have the ability to make you feel better for a short period, no matter how rough you are. Think it must be the adult equivalent of Calpol

quote of the day (a photographers back pack is like a womans hand bag you can never have to much in it ) lol

Back