motorbikes old/new...open thread??

With the Silver Wing and other faired variants being plastic maggots!

There was even a turbocharged one and there was one of 'em at the bike show today alongside the more courier friendly ones.

Speaking of the show, here are a few shots from it. I'll drip feed them over a few days, starting with a couple of Harleys.

In age order,

A very pretty Knuckle Head on one of the auctioneers' stands.
DSCF6926.JPG

And an extremely tasty Shovel which doesn't seem to be a trailer queen - we passed it on the M5 on the way home and it was NOT ideal motorcycling weather...

DSCF6936.JPG

More to follow...

A few other V Twins.

I would have been allowed to buy this one but there are between 80,000 and 120.000 reasons not to...

DSCF6930.JPG

A very pretty trailer queen that really deserves better (IMO!) Vinton or Norvin?

DSCF6931.JPG

and another that might get some occasional use.

DSCF6934.JPG

Personally, I'd rather have the slightly ropey looking one I posted last week and not be afraid of damaging an investment! (NOT that I'd turn either of them down!!!)

A pretty tank that is atop a T110 Bobber. The textured effect in the brown shows up much better in the flesh and matches the crocodile effect leather on the seat.

DSCF6929.JPG

And a couple of views of a couple of Slippery Sam replicas/tributes.

DSCF6932.JPGDSCF6933.JPG

A few other V Twins.

I would have been allowed to buy this one but there are between 80,000 and 120.000 reasons not to...

View attachment 415780

A very pretty trailer queen that really deserves better (IMO!) Vinton or Norvin?

View attachment 415781

and another that might get some occasional use.

View attachment 415782

Personally, I'd rather have the slightly ropey looking one I posted last week and not be afraid of damaging an investment! (NOT that I'd turn either of them down!!!)
The only time I (we) met a black shadow on the road was when we were leaving a race meet in the late 50's and we were all flat out on the road (probably anything from 95 to 105 mph) and the black shadow went past as though we were standing still, after we thought "well that's the black shadow and wish we could afford one". I quite liked the Black knight and have only seen a few on the road over the years.

Never seen a Knight (or a Prince) on the road but there are usually one or 2 at the show - not this year though!

About 50 years ago, my parents had a tenant who had a Norvin/Vinton (apparently, Vinton is more correct [frame followed by engine, like TriBSA and Triton] but Norvin is more "common" [if "common" can be applied to the nobility!!!) as his daily transport. When he started it in the enclosed courtyard area where the garage was, it rattled all the windows!

Strictly speaking, not even a trike, let alone a bike but would fall into that category with a gentle shoehorn!

I was half tempted to post it in the N&G section with the thread title "Robin, naked with undercarriage"...

DSCF6923.JPGDSCF6924.JPG

Never seen a Knight (or a Prince) on the road but there are usually one or 2 at the show - not this year though!

About 50 years ago, my parents had a tenant who had a Norvin/Vinton (apparently, Vinton is more correct [frame followed by engine, like TriBSA and Triton] but Norvin is more "common" [if "common" can be applied to the nobility!!!) as his daily transport. When he started it in the enclosed courtyard area where the garage was, it rattled all the windows!
In the old days we didn't have any respect for the Comet, as when you are young...... accelleration and top speed was most important.

The engine in the Triumph maybe a triple?
OYJGTGc.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a Thunderbird - 900, 1600 or 1700.

The last of mine from the Bristol show (that's a fair way from Bristol!!!)

A MotoMartin CBX and a prototype Bonnie.

DSCF6927.JPGDSCF6928.JPG

Maybe the Rocket behind should have 152 on its clutch cover? :p

Back