motorbikes old/new...open thread??

At least my 3 Bonnevilles are different variants! ;)

Well as they only made 2 models - RVF400 RR (the middle one) & the RVF400 RT (nearest one) at least I have both.. lol
The blue is an RT in the Movistar colours.

Can't afford (or have space for, even if I could!!!) all the Bonnie variants. Looking forward to some brighter days through the winter.

I currently am on a ban from buying any more - have 5 at my house & 3 mini bikes, 3 at my mother in laws house, 1 at a friends house, & another mini bike in France... wife has demanded a bigger house - lol

I currently am on a ban from buying any more - have 5 at my house & 3 mini bikes, 3 at my mother in laws house, 1 at a friends house, & another mini bike in France... wife has demanded a bigger house - lol

Hi, this makes me think. - My mother in law has an empty garage. --- On the other hand, this might mean seeing her more often ... --- ( :D )

DSC04915-a7r2-s35-tp.jpg

So does mine but a half hour drive to go for a ride doesn't appeal much!

My mother in law is 1 & 1/2 miles away. There are times this is too close - LOL but as I'm using her 3 car garage to do a total rebuild on 1 of my bikes she is in my good books ..

IMG_1889 by Pete Smith, on Flickr

Suitable lighting and noise control is (IIRC) all that's necessary, although getting road insurance for it could be... interesting!

Suitable lighting and noise control is (IIRC) all that's necessary, although getting road insurance for it could be... interesting!
There was a time when you didn't need lights so long as it was only used in daylight hours, construction and uses regs as I recall, has that changed?
That was how trial/trail bikes got round not having lights.

IIRC you only need brake lights but, as you say, you are then restricted to daytime use only (and will probably get plenty of tugs from plod who aren't always that conversant with all the rules and regs…) I have a feeling you need a horn as well. A GOOD MOT station will be able to give up-to-date information.

... A GOOD MOT station will be able to give up-to-date information.

Hi, in Germany, we would be talking about an Einzelabnahme, because the kneelers were not sold to the general public, which requires a Typprüfung.

Normally, lighting, silencing, secure riding position, and a horn would be minimally required. The TÃœV-(MOT) tester has some discretion with an Einzelabnahme and
depending on the owner, he might be generous within limits.

Up to now, I have never seen a kneeler on a public road or at an old-timer event here in Germany. I go to around 25 events each year.

Should I see one, I will let you know! :)

Wasn't sure what "Einzelabnahme" meant so Googled it and, as I half expected, it seem to be type approval or similar. So does "Typprüfung". NEW cars and bikes (kit cars etc.) need an SVA here but older vehicles can get away with a fair bit! (I was custodian of a 1924 or 5 Harley for a while - but the frame was built in 1979 around the original headstock [which had the frame number stamped on it] and the engine was originally made in '78 but bore little relationship to what had come out of the factory in Milwaukee. Wish I could have afforded to buy it when the owner wanted shot of it and also wish I had some photos of it! Anyone remember a "Big, Fat F'koff Hog" being featured in BSH in the early '90s?)

I've seen a kneeler on the road but it was some years ago and I doubt it would be driven/ridden far - they're as comfortable as they look!

Hi, Einzelabnahme is for individual vehicles one could have built oneself (in Germany). A Typprüfung is done when a manufacturer brings out a new vehicle to be sold in large numbers.

So, when I go to the TÜV (MOT)-test every two years with my cars, neither is done, only a check (because they are mass-produced and Daimler-Benz had the Typprüfung done).

Similar to here - SVA = Single Vehicle Approval = Einzelabnahme and TA = Type Approval = Typprüfung.

After the initial SVA inspection, lots of people make alterations that might not have made it past the original inspectors.

Every 2 years for a TUV? The MOT here is every year after (and including) the vehicle's 3rd birthday.

... Every 2 years for a TUV? The MOT here is every year after (and including) the vehicle's 3rd birthday.

Oh! It seems this is one of the rare cases of less bureaucracy in Germany ... ---

(On the other hand, I can see a reason for your regulations. Very often, cars or bikes are bought second-hand by people who could not afford it new,
and do not have the money to maintain it properly.)

Don’t know whether this qualifies :rolleyes:

Beachy Head, 2011
by Cliff Jones, on Flickr

ARTE, a German television production network, were filming in and around the British coastline as part of a European culture series. They focussed on Brighton culture and predominantly the scooter scene there. A rideout was organised to be filmed for the programme, with riders from Portsmouth, Bognor Regis and Worthing converging on Beachy Head, with the return journey being filmed by both a motion camera crew on land and two helicopters 'heli-filming' the ride back into Brighton

Don’t know whether this qualifies :rolleyes:
Head, 2011
by Cliff Jones, on Flickr

ARTE, a German television production network, were filming in and around the British coastline as part of a European culture series. They focussed on Brighton culture and predominantly the scooter scene there. A rideout was organised to be filmed for the programme, with riders from Portsmouth, Bognor Regis and Worthing converging on Beachy Head, with the return journey being filmed by both a motion camera crew on land and two helicopters 'heli-filming' the ride back into Brighton

Sure, I would say - but I am not the op here ... This rerminds me of my holidays in England in 1966, when the Mods and the Rockers were active on the south coast.

Saw the WHO live in Hastings then ... --- :

DSC04972-a7r2-s35c-tp.jpg

I can smell the "R"!

Last edited:
I can smell the "R"!

Hi, the R-smell was part of my racing experience towards the end of the 60s, when I went to the Nürburgring and Spa, DKW two-strokes contributing heavily ...

I live near Hockenheim and must go there to find out if the new Castrol racing oil smells as good. (I am not sure if this attitude is ec ? ;) )

@Chalklers: Thank you for another rare example of a kneeler used on public roads! (y)

At the museum in Otterbach/D :

DSC03980-a7r2-3-c-tp.jpg

DSC03980-a7r2-3-cc-tp.jpg

Back