Motorbikes

I am so annoyed!!!! One rule for royalty and one for us commoners. Got a ticket for undertaking on the M25.. I joined from the A13 just before they closed the slip road to allow a royal motorcade with Prince Charles and Camilla in heading to their Cornwall retreat...they were travelling along under police protection but so bloody slow.... They were doing 48 in lane three.. I waited and waited hoping it would move over. Or hoping they would speed up. But they didn't.. I got impatient and used lane 1 to pass them at 65 as they continued to do less than 50.. I then got Stopped by lead police motorcade biker.. He told me off and wrote me a ticket.. I asked "why?" He said its because i saw you "pass the duchy on the left hand side......"

I want to add a tool tube for a bit of extra storage but prefer it to be lockable to deter casual theft, the contents won't be valuable. I've had a google and the only diy examples I've found are externally mounted, they don't look very pleasing and I don't really want 'bits and bobs' floating about as I go along.

I have an idea but before I reinvent the wheel has anyone done or seen anything where the locking mechanism is inside the tube?

I want to add a tool tube for a bit of extra storage but prefer it to be lockable to deter casual theft, the contents won't be valuable. I've had a google and the only diy examples I've found are externally mounted, they don't look very pleasing and I don't really want 'bits and bobs' floating about as I go along.

I have an idea but before I reinvent the wheel has anyone done or seen anything where the locking mechanism is inside the tube?

Can’t help there I’m afraid, I keep my stuff in the top box.

From your pics I see you ride a Beemer......
If you haven’t already I’d have a look at Nippy Norman’s website or drop them a line.
They seem to have (or know about) just about every aftermarket gizmo for BMWs and when I’ve been in touch with queries they’ve been really responsive and helpful.

Still don't trust my back/leg. Hopefully there'll still be some weather left when it/they are up to it! I'd be fine riding but not sure how the back/leg would perform if used in a hurry.

..all warm and glowy inside, my bike pased it's MOT today with flying colours. I went for the obligatory, post MOT bimble. Time to put it away for another year now. ;) :LOL:
Remember a few years ago when my bike was having an MOT a guy had left a Ducati Diavel there for testing. The guy doing the paperwork could only find a display showing it had done 110 miles so assumed it was the trip meter and called the owner to ask how to switch it to the “full” odometer. Turns out it was the full mileage the bike had done since new.......

Our last landlady was in her late 90s but had a car. The only time it was ever driven was to and from the MoT station. Its sole purpose was to stop people parking under her balcony!

Vale, Vale! #46 is hanging up his Daineses at the end of the season. All the best to him in his future.

Can’t believe that I ordered my bike exactly a year ago today. Time does fly.

Had it serviced on Friday which wasn't cheap, I'm lazy and it maintains full service history :/

New tyres tomorrow morning and the weather forecast looks good for Tuesday so I'm going out to play :)

Back to BMW topbox :banghead:

The touratech is too small and the givi just looks wrong on my bike, that and I was always expecting someone to stop me and ask if I had a spare pizza ;)

Back to BMW topbox :banghead:

The touratech is too small and the givi just looks wrong on my bike, that and I was always expecting someone to stop me and ask if I had a spare pizza ;)
So do you have a Givi, and if so which one ?
I'm looking at getting one, but it seems to be difficult to know what size, My current one is a no-name one which is obviously cheap, and I have no idea what size it is although it just about fits two helmets in, so roughly 45-48 litres. Is the Givi 47L big enough or should I go for a 56L one......

So do you have a Givi, and if so which one ?
I'm looking at getting one, but it seems to be difficult to know what size, My current one is a no-name one which is obviously cheap, and I have no idea what size it is although it just about fits two helmets in, so roughly 45-48 litres. Is the Givi 47L big enough or should I go for a 56L one......

Givi Outback Trekker 42L, great box, very well made. I first had it on Triumph Tiger 800 for commuting but just don't like on my GS, I think there is a larger version that will take two helmets.

Best bet is to look at one in a shop or keep your eye out for someone using one and accost them :)

got a quick 3 days up in Scotland planned for tuesday to friday...weather looking very Scottish ie pishing doon...( i was there 2 weeks ago and got sunburnt)...time to get the gortex out

Very happy with it, maybe my all time fav lid! The chin vent doesn't seem to do much but the vent on the top is effective, built in sun visor is great.

I can't put it on without 'flipping' the front which I like, when the front is down it's not coming off easily. Latching chin strap, I hate the 'D' type things.

TBH one of the reasons I got my first neoteric was to p*** off a local petrol station that insisted on bike riders removing their helmet before being served, I won :)

I have an LS2 Flip-Front which is another that's legal in both modes. Again, chin latch rather than DD (old fingers can't work DDs!) Also again, I have to have the chin flipped back to don/doff it. IIRC it has a recess for earpieces but they're not big enough to allow me to wear my hearing aids under the lid. I can slip shades on with it on (chin up) but it's awkward putting the lid on with specs/shades on.

I almost always fill at Sainsbury's who (down here) don't seem to insist on lid removal. I usually stick my head round the door with as much face as possible showing to reassure the staff that I'm wanting to pay rather than make a withdrawal!

One of the eternal truths of biking - for me at least - always rains on the day I’m having new tyres fitted.
Today is no exception!!

It was punctures for me.
Night before Skye trip....puncture
Day before Isle of Man trip....puncture
Is always the way!!

I remember a trip many years ago when three of us spent a week around Devon and Cornwall. I had a spare inner tube (said it was a long time ago), one lad had puncture repair foam and the third one had nothing - you can guess which one of us got the puncture :D

Absolutely hammering down here in Cardiff today. Glad I bought good clothing and a pinlock insert!

Absolutely hammering down here in Cardiff today. Glad I bought good clothing and a pinlock insert!
Fortunately I was able to get home on damp roads as opposed to properly wet ones before the Yorkshire heavens opened. Glad I’m not out there on brand new tyres right now!! :)

Vacuum packed waterproofs

VAC_WATER.jpg

8 bags and a nifty USB powered suction pump from amazon for £12.

BTW, followed a bike briefly this afternoon that used its rear indicators as a rear light and brake lights, what a great idea! Dunno what make model it was, any ideas?

Vacuum packed waterproofs

View attachment 328015

8 bags and a nifty USB powered suction pump from amazon for £12.

BTW, followed a bike briefly this afternoon that used its rear indicators as a rear light and brake lights, what a great idea! Dunno what make model it was, any ideas?

It was probably using an after market add on like this

This was different, it had standard (stock) looking indicators but they were red all the time, when the rider braked they got brighter. It stood out because the rider braked a lot :/

I think that some Bonnies have that arrangement these days.

Talking of lights, I rode at night on Sunday for the first time in months. I’d forgotten just how good the lights are on my bike. Very impressive for a relatively small unit.

My old Bantam (6V "Prince of Darkness!") lights might as well have been Carbide lamps!

Triumph have just announced the upcoming launch of the Tiger Sport 660.
Looks nice from what I can see.

Back