Motorbikes

Could be worse - could have the tank size of the Bobber!

I did about 270 miles yesterday. When I got to my destination I had to use my Muc-Off visor cleaner to remove all the bug debris, and today I’ve had to clean off a huge amount of bug splats from the screen, handguards, mirrors, headlamp and beak. How do riders who use open face helmets cope with that stuff?

Last edited:
Treat the bugs as a dietary supplement!!!

More seriously, the scarf over my mouth collects them from that area and the shades keep them out of my eyes Occasionally get one on the bridge of my nose but not often. Only tend to use an open face for very local and slow rides, although my main lid is a flip-front. Any part of a ride that I expect to be at 40+ gets the front flipped down.

I didn't see the sea on Monday but I did see it yesterday :) I haven't been out for a while so it was a steady day, I was surprised how few bikes were about even for a week day given the weather.

I had a grand time :)

Gonna try refitting my panniers so I can carry more stuff, zimmer frame, rubber ring, oxygen tank etc ;) I changed my top box for a smaller version last year because I was always over packing it and didn't like the effect on the bike balance. Now I miss my helonox chair, jetboil, etc etc. I always seem to hit traffic on the way home, school run/rush hour, so panniers make filtering more challenging.

Hard life init ;)

Had a great ride out on the LC around north Wales, I’ve got a modern more powerful bike but there’s something special about opening up a two stroke out of a B road bend

Had a great ride out on the LC around north Wales, I’ve got a modern more powerful bike but there’s something special about opening up a two stroke out of a B road bend
I used to have a tzr 250
best bike for out and out fun I have ever ridden

.... And remaining on the bike... :LOL:

I long for an old GT750 triple 2 stroke. It's never going to happen, but what fun they must have been. A mate of mine had a Honda V4 400, which he reckons was the closest thing to an old 70's 250 2 stroke he had ever ridden. Sounded absolutely manic....

I long for an old GT750 triple 2 stroke. It's never going to happen, but what fun they must have been. A mate of mine had a Honda V4 400, which he reckons was the closest thing to an old 70's 250 2 stroke he had ever ridden. Sounded absolutely manic....
Yep that’s true :oops: :$
Unfortunately yes the value of GT 750 triples and actually most bikes of that era has gone through the roof
Honda have made some brilliant V4 400s I used to have one from the 90s an amazing bike, think it was called the nc24

I have just switched from TomTom to Garmin, so have spent some time programming three tracks which will take in some of the best roads in south Wales.
I have a day off tomorrow so I’ll do one of them. Forecast is for rain, but who cares. I’ve got the right clothing to cope!
Tomorrow I’ll do the smaller track, which is a loop of 95.7 miles. Should be fun!

1B8FCF86-382F-484D-AF22-F51073CA0A46.jpeg

I have just switched from TomTom to Garmin, so have spent some time programming three tracks which will take in some of the best roads in south Wales.
I have a day off tomorrow so I’ll do one of them. Forecast is for rain, but who cares. I’ve got the right clothing to cope!
Tomorrow I’ll do the smaller track, which is a loop of 95.7 miles. Should be fun!

View attachment 322474

Ahhhh, my old stomping ground.

I had a GT550 for a while. It was a lovely bike to ride in terms of how it felt, but it was a cruiser and not at all a sports bike. It also had an interesting tendency to pogo on fastish sweeping bends that was terrifying and uncontrollable - better suspension and bracing the frame & swing arm would have helped. AFAIK the GT750 was similar, although by the time I was riding the water buffalo was old news and the guys were riding GS550 and 750s that handled much better and made more power.

I had a GT550 for a while. It was a lovely bike to ride in terms of how it felt, but it was a cruiser and not at all a sports bike. It also had an interesting tendency to pogo on fastish sweeping bends that was terrifying and uncontrollable - better suspension and bracing the frame & swing arm would have helped. AFAIK the GT750 was similar, although by the time I was riding the water buffalo was old news and the guys were riding GS550 and 750s that handled much better and made more power.

When I was a kid, 13'ish, the chap over the road used to have one. IIRC, that had a damper on the steering as I asked him what it was. This must have been 1974/5 I guess. The noise with those expansion pipes, and the smell of 2 stroke oil..... It was what got me into biking to start with. I know somebody with one, but it has a few safety mods, like twin discs on the front and a steering damper.

I always remember the fear when, coming onto the M4 at the M25 junction and accelerating for a gap in the traffic, my Aprilia Falco decided to shake it's head. All I could remember was from what I had been taught about not closing the gas, and try and let it sort itself out. That bike was really raw, loads of torque, the front wheel would come up if you gave it just a little too much. It taught me to respect the bike for what it was, shame the electrics were just so, "Italian".....

try myrouteapp for plotting then saving as a GPX file to transfer to your garmin...so much easier than basecamp, the free version works ok, pay a subscription for more bells and whistles ( extra map options and you can do a bit more

try myrouteapp for plotting then saving as a GPX file to transfer to your garmin...so much easier than basecamp, the free version works ok, pay a subscription for more bells and whistles ( extra map options and you can do a bit more

I have been creating the routes in Google Maps then exporting as a GPX file, then importing into Garmin Explore.

I’ve had to drop a line to Barkbusters. Whilst the hand guards are a quality product, the LED lights I added to them in March have already failed on one side. Not impressed.

An update to this. Barkbusters confirmed there is a 2 year warranty on them, so the retailer (Chainspeed) have now replaced them.

I have been creating the routes in Google Maps then exporting as a GPX file, then importing into Garmin Explore.

I didn't know about garmin explore, removing my GPS from the locking mount and taking into the house to do stuff is a PITA - I'm often lazy.

Need to see if I can update the mp3s over BT now :)

I didn't know about garmin explore, removing my GPS from the locking mount and taking into the house to do stuff is a PITA - I'm often lazy.

Need to see if I can update the mp3s over BT now :)

It works well. Once the file is in Garmin Explore it syncs immediately to the Zumo.

Incidentally I’m loving the size of the Garmin.

70ACA127-6593-4C11-A245-E55DB934C240.jpeg

had a wee ride on friday, went up to Scotland to see my mum on the Thursday and on the way down decided to visit the highest pub in Scotland (wanlockhead inn), england Tan hill in Yorkshire and the Sportsman on Denbigh moor (despite it being 50 miles past my house in Liverpool...all on a or B roads...322.5 miles (plus 50 home), some great roads, beautiful vistas a lovely sunset to end the day...and a sore arse...sport.jpgtan.jpgwanlock.jpgsun.jpg

I’ve enjoyed this thread - congrats on passing your test @Ricardodaforce

I passed my big bike test in 2001. Back then if you were over 21 you only had to do a CBT and a theory test, take the practical test and if you passed were free to go out and buy whatever bike you want - I bought a Bandit 600 on the way home from the test centre :D

Have hung up my helmet and gloves now but had some good times on 2 wheels - went through several bikes (much like with cars I got bored quickly) and had 2x 600 Bandits, a 1200 bandit, an XJR1200, Suzuki VL800, HD 48, Suzuki GT250X7 that I restored and finally a Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, The Harley and the Triumph were new, the rest used.

Decided I had diced with death too many times - so stopped riding and sold the Triumph before falling off, getting knocked off or getting banned :rolleyes:

I passed my big bike test in 2001. Back then if you were over 21 you only had to do a CBT and a theory test, take the practical test and if you passed were free to go out and buy whatever bike you want - I bought a Bandit 600 on the way home from the test centre :D

Have hung up my helmet and gloves now but had some good times on 2 wheels - went through several bikes (much like with cars I got bored quickly) and had 2x 600 Bandits, a 1200 bandit, an XJR1200, Suzuki VL800, HD 48, Suzuki GT250X7 that I restored and finally a Triumph 1050 Speed Triple, The Harley and the Triumph were new, the rest used.

Decided I had diced with death too many times - so stopped riding and sold the Triumph before falling off, getting knocked off or getting banned :rolleyes:

Thanks! One of the best things I’ve ever done. My only regret is that I didn’t do it when I was a younger man.
As I also use my bike to commute I ride in all weathers and even if it’s hammering down or freezing, every second on the bike is a joy. I’m sure that having to have my wits about me watching out for inattentive drivers is also great exercise for the brain!

I took my bike test in 1972. Back then you could ride up to a 250 on L plates, or any size bike providing it had a sidecar attached. A schoolmate had a BSA 650 with a sidecar chassis with just a plank of wood on top, quite legal to ride on a provisional licence, although that legislation was pretty crazy I think. The current licence/test set up is much more sensible.

Bear in mind it wasn’t even a legal requirement to wear a helmet back then either. I only had one because my dad said he’d help me with the cost of my first bike but only if I wore a lid. I had a nasty smash and went over the top of the bars (not my fault) and I would’ve had serious head injuries if I hadn’t worn the helmet.

I still ride my bike occasionally, got a Honda CBF1000, but I think I’m getting past it now. Frankly I don’t enjoy riding that much nowadays anyway. Far too many idiots on the road who don’t pay attention to what’s going on around them and just aren’t aware of bikers.

Last edited:
Only one thing scarier than riding an outfit (bike and sidecar) and that's being a passenger in the sidecar! Nearly bought one for practicality but a short ride round the block made me see sense and I just carried less stuff with me and made more trips!
Started learning on a 250 (followed by a short stint on a 350 with 250 side panels...) but when the owner of the 350 put it into an artic, I went off bikes for a year or 2 and by the time I was back on, the 125 rules were in force.
Mum told me that if I ever bought a bike, I'd have to find somewhere else to live... Guess who moved out!!!

Only one thing scarier than riding an outfit (bike and sidecar) and that's being a passenger in the sidecar! Nearly bought one for practicality but a short ride round the block made me see sense and I just carried less stuff with me and made more trips!
Started learning on a 250 (followed by a short stint on a 350 with 250 side panels...) but when the owner of the 350 put it into an artic, I went off bikes for a year or 2 and by the time I was back on, the 125 rules were in force.
Mum told me that if I ever bought a bike, I'd have to find somewhere else to live... Guess who moved out!!!
My uncle was a keen amateur sidecar racer in the 60s, with my aunty on the sidecar! She must’ve had nerves of steel.

Possibly less scary in/on a racing chair but on the road you feel so vulnerable and have zero control. Massive dose of drink was needed for the return trip!!!

armour.jpg

I suppose it should really be a genny Shovelhead rather than a cone one (for continuity!) but it still works!!!

F8685027-CEFD-4CD9-91AE-55FF8BBE4B0D.jpeg

i worked it out last month(4th june to 5th july ive done over 2700 miles on the bike..ive spent 396 quid just on petrol for the bike...worth every single penny, god knows what milage il do when i retire

Best selling motorbike in June was the BMW R 1250 GS Adventure.

Some people have got a lot of money to spend on a bike!

Time for me to part with my Triumph Explorer. She's been brilliant, taken me halfway across America and back again on two occasions.

Taken me to Italy and Germany and Switzerland and Belgium and France and the Czech Republic - and that was on a single trip :cool:

I'm getting older and finding the weight just too much for me and my iffy shoulders. We are moving house too so the plan is to sell the Tex and in Spring next year get another bike.

The Triumph 900GT is much lighter, the weight is lower and I think she'll still give me the rush that I love. We will see.

Back