Motorbikes

The Rocket III was more like a 2 wheeled psychopath than a shrink!

For the second day running and three weeks in a row I am faced with a terrible dilemma, one of the most difficult decisions a motorcyclist must make - clean it or ride it ;-)

Yesterday I had fish and chips at the seaside and today I'll get a sandwich at Ye Olde Naked Man in Settle, I can clean it tomorrow :)

The Rocket III was more like a 2 wheeled psychopath than a shrink!
For me the psychobike was a ZX6R - not the out and out fastest bike I’ve had but there was something about that bike that made it very difficult to behave........

It was the torque of the R III. It would pull hard from 20 in top, all the way (presumably) to the limiter. Didn't even need that long a straight to get to ban territory (allegedly...)

It was the torque of the R III. It would pull hard from 20 in top, all the way (presumably) to the limiter. Didn't even need that long a straight to get to ban territory (allegedly...)
Torque is good. We like lotsa torque more than we like lotsa horsepower :D

Reactions: Nod
For me the psychobike was a ZX6R - not the out and out fastest bike I’ve had but there was something about that bike that made it very difficult to behave........
Mine was a tzr250 totally bonkers!!

A friend in Crete has an H2. Hasn't ridden it since his wife first told him she was pregnant!

ETA that the H2 is the old 2 stroke 750 rather than the current supercharged one.

Last edited:
Yes my 350 YPVS is the same it’s not even that fast compared to modern bikes just seems it :)

A friend in Crete has an H2. Hasn't ridden it since his wife first told him she was pregnant!

ETA that the H2 is the old 2 stroke 750 rather than the current supercharged one.

Oh those old 750's were bloody mental. Plasticine frame, iffy suspension - though to be fair, most bikes of that era were similar - basically mass production tech just hadn't woken up to the power those things were slinging out compared to more traditional 750's etc.

But my memory of the H2 was it was a bugger for wheelies. The main reason it had big high wide bars was to keep it in a reasonably straight line while on the back wheel, i'm sure.

Powerband of the 750 triple 2 stroke was like a lightswitch, nothing, nothing, nothing, OMG where did the horizon go....

It was also strangely more prone to it's step in power when cold. As a friend of mine found out when I loaned him it one October morning. He literally threw it into gear, and got 35 yards down the road before flipping it. Pretty sure IIRC I got it fixed up and swapped it pretty much straight away.

For an LC350, which wasn't much more sensible and also had serious aspirations to be a unicycle....

Cheaper than the Aston Bond DB continuation car - AND can be used on the road! FWIW, the Rocket III has always had a passenger ejection seat - disabled by fitting a pillion backrest...

19CF179F-A8D0-4B3A-BD21-7CFC00692208.jpegPicked up the meteor on Monday. Took her out for a short spin, about 40 miles.
Love the sound of the bike and handles well. Never going to set any speed records but gets to 45 quick enough(running in, great fun!)
Looks tiny and I’m only 5’9”
Feels amazing being back on a bike, Chuffed r us!

View attachment 330801Picked up the meteor on Monday. Took her out for a short spin, about 40 miles.
Love the sound of the bike and handles well. Never going to set any speed records but gets to 45 quick enough(running in, great fun!)

That looks lovely!

View attachment 330801Picked up the meteor on Monday. Took her out for a short spin, about 40 miles.

Nice looking bike, Paul. Still retro looking but not as old fashioned as the Bullets.
Well worth investing in some ACF-50 to keep the shiny bits shiny and stop the other bits going red or fluffy!

Enjoy!

I've just reserved this Tenere 700. :oops: :$

s-l1600.jpg

Very nice!
Thanks mate! I'll tell you, it was a close call between this and the Tiger 900 and the T700 is higher but I just liked the sitting position on the Tenere. I come from a motocross/enduro background from the age of 7 and the T700 just felt quite natural. I'm going to put the lowering kit on it which lowers it 18mm. I was close to flat footed either side but about 10mm off so that should sort it.

Thanks mate! I'll tell you, it was a close call between this and the Tiger 900 and the T700 is higher but I just liked the sitting position on the Tenere. I come from a motocross/enduro background from the age of 7 and the T700 just felt quite natural. I'm going to put the lowering kit on it which lowers it 18mm. I was close to flat footed either side but about 10mm off so that should sort it.

One of the reasons I didn’t consider one was the seat height. Lovely looking bikes though and I only read good things about them.
I‘m sure you’ll love it!

One of the reasons I didn’t consider one was the seat height. Lovely looking bikes though and I only read good things about them.
I‘m sure you’ll love it!
Gonna take it out for a test ride Saturday but looking at the reviews it looks to be a well sorted, fun, all round bike.

Supposed to be among the most useable of the adventure/trailie breed. The RE Himalayan would be another on my shortlist if I was into that sort of bike these days.

Enjoy the new toy when you get it!

Is that a standard end can..? Should sound pretty good and the bike certainly looks fab!
No, it's a titanium and carbon fibre Akrapovic. 2.3kg lighter than the stock exhaust. About an £800 upgrade on the original.

Last edited:
I've just reserved this Tenere 700. :oops: :$

I do like those and have considered changing since I did my back in trying to pick mine up :/ I've nearly got my gs right though, just need to improve the suspension. The hard setting is OK, everything else is just like a bouncy castle.

A week ago I was enjoying sunshine and 29C.

Back to reality now. It’s a deluge here in Cardiff. So glad I invested in good clothing and Pinlock!

My bike is in for a service today. The loan bike I have been given would get @Nod ’s approval I‘m sure!

AF47DC86-89AE-4D06-AB7A-F3B2B30A355B.jpeg

First time I have ever ridden one. My initial impressions are:

It feels tiny compared to my bike.

Exhaust sounds awesome.

I didn’t like the lack of protection from the elements.

Triumph have just launched their baby Tiger

My bike is in for a service today. The loan bike I have been given would get @Nod ’s approval I‘m sure!

View attachment 332144

First time I have ever ridden one. My initial impressions are:

It feels tiny compared to my bike.

Exhaust sounds awesome.

I didn’t like the lack of protection from the elements.

You know my bike likes well!!!

The older 865s are even smaller!

And with standard pipes are way too quiet (IMO!)

I much prefer completely naked bikes - you KNOW when you're pressing on a bit.

Have you ordered yours yet or have they got one in stock? :p ;)

You know my bike likes well!!!

The older 865s are even smaller!

And with standard pipes are way too quiet (IMO!)

I much prefer completely naked bikes - you KNOW when you're pressing on a bit.

Have you ordered yours yet or have they got one in stock? :p ;)

Haha, IF I could justify it I’d buy a Street Scrambler to go alongside my Tiger.

244181861_237149541711567_7061358580174413724_n.jpg

I have a strange, expensive and worrying addiction. I just bought another crash helmet.
That makes 7. I have promised myself that I will stop right now.

I have a strange, expensive and worrying addiction. I just bought another crash helmet.
That makes 7. I have promised myself that I will stop right now.

Like cigarettes, every time you get the compulsion to buy yet another lid, resist the temptation and put the cash in a big jar (fivers are best - they build up quickly and look impressive!). Once the jar is full, you'll probably have enough to buy that Street Scrambler!!!

Back