Motorbikes

As far as I can tell, the fresh Bonnies just have new clothes rather than being upgraded much. Probably just enough changes so parts for the older ones won't fit the newer ones...

The oil filler cap for an 08, 14 and 67 plate Bonnie is the same, despite the 67 plate being a 1200 rather than an 865. Fuel caps are the same thread too, although since the 08 is a Speedmaster, I can't fit a locking cap. Put a Monza style cap on the Bobber - it needs filling so often that a locking cap is a PITA!!!

Pretty sure they're a series of 'shopped photos rather than drawings. once you know what needs to be done, you can set up an automated process to convert every shot so minimal time spent, especially if all their instructions are done the same way.

Pretty sure they're a series of 'shopped photos rather than drawings. once you know what needs to be done, you can set up an automated process to convert every shot so minimal time spent, especially if all their instructions are done the same way.

Interesting! Why do you think they’d present them like that?

Clearer than plain photos - look at a Haynes manual's cluttered photo, even in black and white and it's harder to decipher than those that have been processed down to almost line drawings. For your installation instructions, "line drawings" show enough detail without showing too much. (Had they been actual drawings, I wouldn't expect to see the datatag sticker!)

Dunno what's wrong with a set of A4 sheets in a tank bag!!!

Today I took it off life support (optimate trickle charger), gave it a good clean (hate cleaning spoked wheels) and got it MOT'd. Haven't ridden since the 7th of October, almost forgotten what a thrill bikes are!

I watched as they tested it and was impressed by the Denali D4 spots, I haven't seen them from a distance before and man they are bright. The sound bomb is pretty good as well :)

Today I took it off life support (optimate trickle charger), gave it a good clean (hate cleaning spoked wheels) and got it MOT'd. Haven't ridden since the 7th of October, almost forgotten what a thrill bikes are!

I watched as they tested it and was impressed by the Denali D4 spots, I haven't seen them from a distance before and man they are bright. The sound bomb is pretty good as well :)

Those Denali lights are expensive! Did you fit them yourself?

Those Denali lights are expensive! Did you fit them yourself?

I did fit them and it was a faff to say the least but I have to take a lot of the blame, my bike has quite a few body panels at the front and I didn't realise as I removed them that there are three different lengths of fixings. It was PITA putting the panels back, like most jobs it would be considerably quicker doing it a second time :/

The lights are expensive and I went the whole hog with the controller, sound bomb horn and additional rear brake light. I fitted a Innovv K2 dual camera system the same day, cables everywhere!

If it's worth doing it's worth doing properly :)

The ride to work over the last couple of mornings has been absolutely glorious! Sunshine, dry roads, not having to pussyfoot around roundabouts, and it’s still light when I get home. Spring is on the way!
What’s more I survived (just) my first winter on a bike.

I just got back from an hour and a half on the bike. Glorious weather and I feel alive again.

To be honest, I was ready to pay the fine if I was stopped because my mental health needed that. I did carry a letter from my Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner with me just to show I am currently having mental health issues. There were quite a few bikes out, it was nice to see.

I just got back from an hour and a half on the bike. Glorious weather and I feel alive again.

To be honest, I was ready to pay the fine if I was stopped because my mental health needed that. I did carry a letter from my Psychological Wellbeing Practitioner with me just to show I am currently having mental health issues. There were quite a few bikes out, it was nice to see.

Lots of bikes out on the IOW last couple of days. That said us islanders seldom obey the law at the best of times. [emoji15][emoji38]

I’ve just ordered a Healtech Thunderbox. Looks like an elegant solution for attaching electrical accessories.

I *finally* got round to fitting my modified centre stand, I bought a used stand and will sell my original on.

I sent the stand to a company who shot blasts it, welds a tab with a hole onto the upper section, powder coats it and sends it back. When you put the bike on the centre stand you can hook a padlock through the tabs hole which stops anyone taking the bike off the stand and wheeling it away. It's additional security for home but I wanted it for parking up away from home, carrying a chain is a PITA and there isn't always something to chain up to.

I have a Roadlok fitted so this is another 'layer', Paranoid me! WHO WANTS TO KNOW ;)

Last edited:
I don’t think you can be too paranoid. I rotate between three different parking places, and as my rota is different every week, it’s impossible to predict where I will park on any given day.
I always then use a huge Milenco chain on the back and a Kryptonite disc lock on the front. Both are stored in the top box.

A bit limited on what chain I can carry on the Bobber. Managed to strap a "tool roll" to the rear subframe/swingarm which is just about big enough for a decent (if lightweight) Oxford chain and an Oxford alarmed disc lock goes in a handlebar stash bag. I try to park where I can lock the bike to a bit of street furniture but that's not always possible. Only reason I bother is that it's just about light enough for a couple of blokes to pick up and lob in a trailer. Never bothered when I had the Rocket III - that needed a bloody crane to lift!!!

I still have some of my biking gear left, a pair of summer gloves and a pair of Frank Thomas trousers. I think I bought them when I bought a Suzuki GS500E, brand new back in 1997. Bought both trousers and bike new, only the trousers have survived. Can't believe the trousers are nearly 24 years old, don't suppose they will be much good now.

I don’t think you can be too paranoid. I rotate between three different parking places, and as my rota is different every week, it’s impossible to predict where I will park on any given day.
I always then use a huge Milenco chain on the back and a Kryptonite disc lock on the front. Both are stored in the top box.

If they want it they'll take it no matter what you do, I think the trick is to make them look for something easier.

Reactions: Nod
I’ve got some jobs lined up over the next few days. Connect the Thunderbox (I’ve already sussed out where it will go - underneath the mobile phone charger, which is under the passenger seat. Connect the TomTom to the Thunderbox. Install a Denali Soundbomb and some Barkbusters DRLs, and connect them to the Thunderbox.

A9E0FC94-3A4B-4F7F-BF1F-065D73A219A7.jpeg

7BA0F79C-5748-4C0222.jpg

Ouch! Hope all came to a stop under control. Any scrotes around who might have planted the blade in the tyre groove? Less common now that most people have mobile phones but thieves used to rig things like that so the bike would be immobilised a couple of miles down the road and the rider would have to leave it unattended, leaving the bike available to the following van...

Holy cow! Bet that was fun. Who the heck is leaving razor blades on the road?

it was a stanley blade..luckily it was a rear tyre, got quite a wobble to say the least, i could get my finger in the hole so no chance of plugging it, i was only a couple of miles home so just rode it back flat, not bad apart form going round corners and any undulations in the road caused it to move around a bit but i kept it to 20-25..id only done about 1500 miles on the tyre...hey ho 160 quid for a new one

Back