Moving on to mirrorless from a 5D2 and 7D

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
No
I have had a 5D2 and 7D for a long time (9/10 years) and feel that it's time to move onto something new, and am looking at mirrorless options. I can't afford new lenses so will need to continue using my existing ones, primarily Canon 100mm L Macro, 100-400 mk2 but I also have a 17-40L, 24-70L 2.8 (gen1) and Tamron 70-200 2.8 (gen 1) amongst others.

The budget will stretch to a Canon EOS R + EF-R adapter or a Sony A7iii + Sigma MC-11 (the current £200 rebate will pay for the MC-11).

I'm wondering what experiences people here have had using EF lenses (would be great if this includes the 100/100-400) via ther required adapters on the EOS R and A7iii.

I did this when the A7iii came out, though I only had three lenses. A Sigma 50mm, the F4 24-105 and f4 70-200
I sold the lot and made more than enough to get the A7iii and 24-105, which in all honesty would suffice 90% of the time as you have crop mode and lossless digital zoom takes it to about 200mm though I soon added used f4 16-35 as it sometimes wasn't wide enough
The adapters will always be a work around and are vulnerable to future firmware updates.
Though A7iv is expected this year the A7iii is still rather excellent and good value now IMO.

The Sony adaptor is ‘usable’, the Canon adaptor will be indistinguishable from using the lens without.

Hi there

please be reassured that the adapted 100-400 will work flawlessly on the R series bodies

and unless you feel that you really need the higher resolution of the R, would consider chopping in a couple of lenses to get the R6 with a 24-105 to sit alongside your 100-400

Dave

Hi there

please be reassured that the adapted 100-400 will work flawlessly on the R series bodies

and unless you feel that you really need the higher resolution of the R, would consider chopping in a couple of lenses to get the R6 with a 24-105 to sit alongside your 100-400

Dave

agreed the lens work amazing on the R. Seamless

I made a very similar swap this weekend - my old 5DS to a used but minty EOS R from LCE Cheltenham.

I can confirm that my legacy lenses work flawlessly Three Canon Primes, 24, 50 and 85 and three Sigma; 24-105 Art, 105 Macro and an ancient 70-200 2.8 zoom all working without any issue.

As I intend to use my EOS 5DSR until it dies I will be using legacy glass for some time to come.

Since the Canon is now out, (when I got it the R5/6 wasn't out), I would just get the Canon. Some Canon lenses are are better than others. Whereas they all function natively on Canon.

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I'm better off sticking with Canon. Just my other half to convince now... ;)

That is of course you plan to keep your lenses, because if you think eventually all getting RF Mount, the savings would be best going to Sony as Sony lenses are actually cheaper for the same lenses.

But I see that you are still shooting a 5D2…you don’t seem to be one who chase the latest but sticks with what works then adapted will do you fine.

Food for thought thought.

Before you buy an EOS R camera you may want to find out if the the tracking capability suits your type of photography.

Before you buy an EOS R camera you may want to find out if the the tracking capability suits your type of photography.
The AF is very good, however the slight pause/freeze on continuous on this and the RP is not great. But - and it’s a big but - depends on the usage!

Thanks all for the input.
I went for the EOS R along with a control ring ef-r adapter.

Back