MPB.

Why bother asking, I sold one of my D3s to them a few months ago, that never asked if it was grey and to be honest it never even occurred to me to volunteer that information, I purchased used myself so don't even know, the bottom line is they sell second hand gear so I can't see how it makes any difference whatsoever, as regards them worrying about import duties if they have purchased second hand themselves what's to worry about. @razer I know what you mean about the value they add on to the items they buy from you, I think they gave me around £600 for my D3 and put it up for about £850 Grrr.

They’re a company, not a charity. They’re out to make a profit. They offer a warranty on the goods they sell. They pay staff to process the paperwork and check, wrap, and despatch equipment. They even pay couriers to pick up your stuff. And people are surprised that they sell stuff for more than they paid them?

I know they have to make a living but to offer £500 for mine, and sell it for £699 and still want a extra £144 against a camera they are selling for £640 and making a profit on. That's a big profit. It's not like I have not brought from them before either.

I recently traded one lens against another - they didn't ask if mine was grey (I had no way of knowing anyway as I purchased it secondhand) and I didn't think to ask if the one they were sending was grey.

If my experience is anything to go by, their Customer Service is great and they stand by their products. That can be worth more than a few quid especially for an easy and quick trade.

I know they have to make a living but to offer £500 for mine, and sell it for £699 and still want a extra £144 against a camera they are selling for £640 and making a profit on. That's a big profit. It's not like I have not brought from them before either.
Sorry, but I don't follow your reasoning. As far as I know they don't offer a loyalty scheme. If you don't like their prices, don't use them. Simple. (and no, I am not affiliated to them. Sometimes they offer me a low price so I don't use them. Sometimes they offer a reasonable price and I do. My choice as an adult.)

The problem they have is that they factor in a warranty. It's the peace of mind which you get from a retailer that makes the few extra pounds worth it. As above, you aren't obliged to use them.

I have to say that the price I was offered for my 1DX recently was very good. Yes they were making money from the deal, as you would expect. This was a straight sale. My local Canon Pro dealer offered me £500 less as a trade in and wouldn't budge an inch. Ive spent a lot of money over the last couple of years with my local dealer and I felt that he was just trying to rip me off on my 1DX. So much so that since then I've bought my gear elsewhere.

Not to mention that last night when I last checked they had half a dozen D7200s ranging from £595 to just under £700.

And VAT on the margin, (see VAT margin scheme), so out of £200 profit, one sixth (£33.33) will go to the VATman
More to the collection service, then they have to check it over (man hours) and confirm it is as suggested, shutter count, condition etc, then list it as stock and wait for it to sell. It's probably not going to sell immediately for their '£200 profit' but sit as stock. As such, with new items coming out, that stock then has a depreciating value. Then there's the office and storage fees, the insurance fees on such a large stock, the business rates, the corporate tax, the wages, the website fees...

Theyve got to shift a lot of stock to make money looking at that markup.

IT's not just £200 pound, they also want another £144, plus the profit on the d600, say another £150. that's almost £500 pound on one deal.

IT's not just £200 pound, they also want another £144, plus the profit on the d600, say another £150. that's almost £500 pound on one deal.
Well then, just don't deal with them. Problem solved.
Sell it on here. I hope you have the box. Does it come from a smoke free and pet free home?
You'll be paying postage of course. And make sure you declare every single mark on it. You'll be in big trouble if the buyer finds a 0.5mm mark that you haven't published a picture of.

I'm not selling too them, and yes I have the box and all it came with, most unopened., its mint with no marks. Only 6000 clicks.
Smoke free and there are pets, but its kept in my bag so they cant use it ;).
It is up for a swap on here .

Last edited:
I fail to see why MPB would be interested in whether the goods are grey import or not. They are buying them as used goods from a private individual and unless MPB have some way of checking the serial numbers of the unit, I don’t see how they can tell if an item is grey or not and remember that item may have had 5 owners before MPB get it. I used to work for the now defunct Cine Equipments in their Stratford Upon Avon camera shop many years ago (30 years ago to be exact) where we aimed to sell second hand kit for double what we paid for it, in order to cover the warranty we had to stand ourselves and make some decent margin. The margin on selling new Nikon gear at the time was 19%. Not exactly a lot once the rent, rates etc were paid.......

Why not just sell to them for cash and buy elsewhere if you think you can get a better deal? I've sold them a few things and the hassle free nature of it is great. It does take around a week to get the money, but that's it. No listing, no taking pictures, no going back and forward and worrying about sending to a stranger. Best of all - no cheeky offers!

I've also seen some things that are cheaper than anywhere else so I'd happily use them again. I sold an imported dslr to them which I bought second hand. No problems at all, and why should there be?

I fail to see why MPB would be interested in whether the goods are grey import or not.
They probably would not be and it is up to them to bother or not but they might as well sell stolen goods next.

Well according to your calculation it is £344 minus postage two ways minus VAT. You really want to get they money you paid back, good luck. If £500 for yours is not good enough it can be had new and grey import like yours for £585 Google says so.

They've offered £500 trade in for your D7200 of which they already have 11, so they aren't big sellers? The cost of the camera you want is £644, so it's another £144 to you to change bodies. £144 is the cost to you, including collection and delivery, warranty and piece of mind dealing with MPB, not a private seller. It's not a £500 cost to you.

Swap bodies with someone else, have you any idea whats wrong with it? First second hand body I bought for my son was a Canon 400D. Second time we used it the pins on the CF card broke when removing the card. I suspect the seller had bent the pins, straightened them and sold the body. £160 repair bill for a new main board.

But it's your choice. They've made an offer, you don't find it acceptable so don't take it.

Does anyone know if MPB take trades in from Ireland? I can't see anywhere on the site that states UK only

[edit] Got my answer via email, they do indeed take trade ins from Ireland, just takes a few more days, good to know :)

Last edited:
I've sold a few grey bodies to them and I've always told them where I purchased them from. I think only once was I told they wouldn't take it, but that could have been because it was a low value body versus being grey. Surely once they sell it on the issue with grey stuff not being under manuf. warranty is a moot point anyway so why would they care?

I've sold a few grey bodies to them and I've always told them where I purchased them from. I think only once was I told they wouldn't take it, but that could have been because it was a low value body versus being grey. Surely once they sell it on the issue with grey stuff not being under manuf. warranty is a moot point anyway so why would they care?
Theoretically I wonder if therestill a potential duty/vat issue. In practice, I doubt anyone would chase it.

It's called VAT. You decided not to pay it when you bought the camera so MPB will now have to pay it (in full) on your retail price before they can sell it on. Otherwise their sale would be tax evasion (as was your purchase by the way).

It's called VAT. You decided not to pay it when you bought the camera so MPB will now have to pay it (in full) on your retail price before they can sell it on. Otherwise their sale would be tax evasion (as was your purchase by the way).

Since when?

Since when?
If a new van/commercial vehicle is sold without VAT, if subsequently you buy it as a private buyer the seller has to charge VAT on the whole price of the resale. I only use this as an example as I first became aware of it when I was looking at car auctions (never bought anything anyway but that is another story).

Last edited:
I take it MPB deal with trade in inquiries manually? how many times have you chanced different selections over a few days? I wonder does that really wind them up?

If a new van/commercial vehicle is sold without VAT, if subsequently you buy it as a private buyer the seller has to charge VAT on the whole price. I only use this as an example as I first became aware of it when I was looking at car auctions (never bought anything anyway but that is another story).

Vehicles are treated differently from ordinary goods because they have high value and are traceable.

So if a vehicle is sold to a business or other owner (either for use as a business asset or because it is being leased) then it is treated differently when it comes to resale than a vehicle sold on with VAT paid.

I take it MPB deal with trade in inquiries manually? how many times have you chanced different selections over a few days? I wonder does that really wind them up?

Actually a lot of its automated now, I often look to see what the value of an item is and get an email back with a price instantly.

Actually a lot of its automated now, I often look to see what the value of an item is and get an email back with a price instantly.

I wondered because sometimes when I do it, there's a good hour before I get the quote. Maybe I should try it off hours and see :D

[edit] I stuck one in right after that post for the 'craic - 30mins later, no quote yet, I think they do oversee them personally

Last edited:

I believe this is the case. Replies are instant even during the middle of the night.

I believe this is the case. Replies are instant even during the middle of the night.

They'll have a predecided valuation for most products in various condition like CEX do. They'll probably review this quite regularly

I think MPB give really good prices for used equipment considering VAT/warranties etc. I remember a few years ago my local camera shop offered me £35 for a Nikon D70 against a new D700 (£1500 iirc), he had just sold one (used) the previous week for £199. I had been dealing with him for years too, in fact I had bought my first serious camera from his father in 1979.

I recently sold a D7200(grey import) to them,they were achieving about £500 on the forum.I rated mine as good and they offered £465 with free collection.
After they checked it out they said the condition was rated as excellent and paid me an extra £20.
This was a total hassle free sale.
I always get a quote off mpb,sometimes I use them sometimes I don't.

They have just offered me £380 for my Nikon 24-120 vr. Couldn’t sell it for that on here!

Nonsense, both are subject to VAT and YES they should make a profit on both, they are a business not a charity, they will have loads of overheads, for a comparison see what it would cost you to sell on EBay and then factor in VAT which they would have to pay and you might think again

Mike

Vehicles are treated differently from ordinary goods because they have high value and are traceable.

So if a vehicle is sold to a business or other owner (either for use as a business asset or because it is being leased) then it is treated differently when it comes to resale than a vehicle sold on with VAT paid.

They're treated no differently to any other form of goods. They are, as you've both said, more readily recognisable and therefore thought of.

If VAT hasn't been paid on an item (usually on import), then it must be paid on the resale price.

I believe the VAT man can tell if an import has paid the relevant VAT via the serial number. I used to wonder if customs stopped you and checked your camera when re-entering the country, if they found no VAT had been paid, they would confiscate the goods until you paid?

Regarding MPB, they've just offered me £400 for my XT1 Graphite silver in excellent nick, which I found a little disappointing.

Last edited:
Back