Murray

This cartoon came about when he was't happy about the roof doors not being ordered to close up when it started raining.

TennisCartoon2No33.jpg

And when the tennis was shown across two channels, along with the "red button" last Saturday.

TennisNo30.jpg

What I'm about to say isn't really very conductive to this thread so forgive me for that but I have very little interest in it all, apart from it providing great cartoon drawing material for me.

This cartoon came about when he was't happy about the roof doors not being ordered to close up when it started raining.

TennisCartoon2No33.jpg

And when the tennis was shown across two channels, along with the "red button" last Saturday.

TennisNo30.jpg

What I'm about to say isn't really very conductive to this thread so forgive me for that but I have very little interest in it all, apart from it providing great cartoon drawing material for me.

Great cartoons again too :LOL:

Hey. "Less of the snap judgments"... Really? Is that the tone you take all the time? After however many years of sullen strops and the same time without a single insight or example of generousity of spirit, how about less snap judgments about the rationale behind the general dislike of Murray, and unwillingness to forgive such a deficit of character?

And the Brit/Scot thing? I'll cheer any UK sportsperson, if they exhibit UK values. If they're utterly devoid of charm, and some subset of Scots want to say, "How dare you criticise him, because he's Scottish", well, that says far more about those Scots' racism and xenophobia than it does about anything else.

I've read some crap in my time .(y)

Daily mail employee by any chance :shrug:

Yawn Yawn bored now.... Well done Andy all the same ,probably have to eat my words come Sunday night ,he's made the final and i'm happy with that

for now :D

Last edited:

TennisCartoon2No33.jpg

TennisNo30.jpg

:D

Until he loses on Sunday and then all you scots will be referring to him as British again :wacky:

and us Engli*****s, will be referrin him as to "Jock T**t" as opposed to British! :LOL::LOL:

ops seems i had a s h i t e in there, when I meant Englis h ites!

Love the cartoon Ian.........

Some unpleasant posts a page back, I can't be bothered to dig in and clean it all up, but for those getting arsey, its the Internet, chill out

Before Federer became brilliant he was a surly and spoilt brat who broke racquets. Nobody is perfect and it's perfectly okay to wish someone other than the home player to win, but don't paint him as a saint not Murray as a sinner unless you know them personally.

Up until a few years ago Tiger Woods was a role model for millions...

Before Federer became brilliant he was a surly and spoilt brat who broke racquets. Nobody is perfect and it's perfectly okay to wish someone other than the home player to win, but don't paint him as a saint not Murray as a sinner unless you know them personally.

Up until a few years ago Tiger Woods was a role model for millions...

Exactly, Tiger Woods is the most fined player on the circuit...spitting and swearing his way around the course.

I couldn't care less what he's like personally, it's not as if I have to live in the flat downstairs or anything. I'll be supporting him.

antihero said:
I couldn't care less what he's like personally, it's not as if I have to live in the flat downstairs or anything. I'll be supporting him.

This.

Hey. "Less of the snap judgments"... Really? Is that the tone you take all the time? After however many years of sullen strops and the same time without a single insight or example of generousity of spirit, how about less snap judgments about the rationale behind the general dislike of Murray, and unwillingness to forgive such a deficit of character?

And the Brit/Scot thing? I'll cheer any UK sportsperson, if they exhibit UK values. If they're utterly devoid of charm, and some subset of Scots want to say, "How dare you criticise him, because he's Scottish", well, that says far more about those Scots' racism and xenophobia than it does about anything else.

Surely I can't be the only one wanting to ask what UK values are? Also are they better than other countries or unions values?

When does a Scot or as you call them a "subset of Scots" defending a fellow Scot make them racist. Where did that so called racist and xenophobic quote ""How dare you criticise him, because he's Scottish"" come from cause it ain't in the thread.

Is your first name really Alf?, Garnett.

Been following him all this time and he deserves a win, he has a tough game but fingers crossed he does it.

On this whole British Scottish debate, notice how Jonathan Marray is being called a Briton not an Englishman.

I was going to say something about not needing to argue against those who, when countering the charge that some Scots are xenophobic and racist, make bigoted assumptions about someone based on their name, and conflate "some Scots" with "all Scots". An impressive fail, but let's forget it.

I don't understand the argument that, because another successful sportsman is also a muppet - Tiger Woods - that we should support Murray.

I just support decent-seeming people and hope they do better. I'm into my cycling so I'll be cheering on Sir Chris this summer, and managed to meet one of my heroes last summer when Graeme Obree gave a talk in Bloomsbury.

If I was recruiting an army officer, or a captain of industry, then I'd love a "dedicated professional who is a winner", but this is sport. I'll always root for the decent guy or girl.

Edited to add: If Murray proves me wrong about him being sullen and mean-spirited, then fair enough - I'll be happy to be wrong. But I don't ever want to start treating sport like any other business - surely sport is one endeavor where we can still, if we choose, insist on attractiveness of spirit before commiting our support?

Last edited:
Garnett said:
I was going to say something about not needing to argue against those who, when countering the charge that some Scots are xenophobic and racist, make bigoted assumptions about someone based on their name, and conflate "some Scots" with "all Scots". An impressive fail, but let's forget it.

I don't understand the argument that, because another successful sportsman is also a muppet - Tiger Woods - that we should support Murray.

I just support decent-seeming people and hope they do better. I'm into my cycling so I'll be cheering on Sir Chris this summer, and managed to meet one of my heroes last summer when Graeme Obree gave a talk in Bloomsbury.

If I was recruiting an army officer, or a captain of industry, then I'd love a "dedicated professional who is a winner", but this is sport. I'll always root for the decent guy or girl.

Edited to add: If Murray proves me wrong about him being sullen and mean-spirited, then fair enough - I'll be happy to be wrong. But I don't ever want to start treating sport like any other business - surely sport is one endeavor where we can still, if we choose, insist on attractiveness of spirit before commiting our support?

Missed the point by a hundred miles.

i think Federer once spent a week in brighton on holiday as a kid ,so that makes him english ,,,,,,come on Fed,,,,,then he can play football for england in the next worl cup

Sport is on TV for our entertainment. Murray does not entertain me personally so I find it hard to support him

Absolutely correct, Yv. We've apologised to each other in PM, and I have to say Sam made the first move. All friends again. :D

Obviously lots of support for Murray up here in Perthshire

So far so good.

Cracking 1st set. Federer is still great to watch and Murray showed great determination to win that 1st set.

I don`t like tennis.

Yes, Murray definitely has the upper hand at the moment. Let's hope he capitalises on it while he can.

At least it's dry for those on Haggis Hill!

Reality now setting in ... except with the roof ... why oh why are we still having rain stops?

Reality now setting in ... except with the roof ... why oh why are we still having rain stops?

They can't really play whilst the roof is being closed.

Edit: Ah, it's only going to be a brief shower apparently so they're not going to close the roof.

They can't really play whilst the roof is being closed.

I know ... what I am saying is, with the obvious weather risk, why isn't it already closed :shrug:

I know ... what I am saying is, with the obvious weather risk, why isn't it already closed :shrug:

The conditions are very different when the roof is closed so they try to keep it open as much as possible.

Because ultimately they would prefer not to have to close it. That's the whole point of Wimbledon. Otherwise it may as well just be another indoor competition.

if they can get away without closing it they will try. And so they should.

Seems like backwards progress to me :shrug:

Back