"Must Have" Accessories

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm a bit bored at work and looking for some of those must-have accessories for my camera bag. I've got everything like cleaning cloths, memory card cases, batteries and a blower but what are those things you never leave the house without, the things that only cost a few quid but are worth their weight in gold...?

DB

I've found a remote shutter release cable to be surprisingly useful for when the camera is on a tripod :)

ND Grads, penknife

As you say, very brief list. I have most things covered like notebook, remote release, hood and filters, torch and also, strangely, a knife!

I am just wondering if I've missed something and what you all carry about. Heading to Dubai nextweek and going to watch the Bahrain GP so want to make sure my bag is fully stocked as equipment is going up over there.

DB

A couple of elastic bands - extra grip on a stuck filter, convert a poly bag into a rain cover, an extra lock on the built in lens hood.

socks!!:coat:

I carry a mini tripod & clamp in my bag. Handy if you don't have your full-size tripod with you, providing you have a fence or a wall to rest it on. Hama do one with a ball and socket head.

I know this sounds daft but if your going to Dubai then take the knife out of your bag.

When I went to Menorca last September I forgot I had a Spanner (for my car rig) and a multi use knife set with pliers etc. I had alot of explaining to do lol.

I think my new MUST HAVE item is the Expo Disc I recently bought, makes setting the white balance oh so easy. Cost £3 I think it was for a 77mm one. I’m gonna buy a pocket sized grey card aswell soon, and I must get an a6 notebook.

Rain cover, I might have looked like a complete idiot at the WHF meet but at least my kit was dry :p ;)

Definately a small notebook and a small pencil or pen.

I always have a bunch of loose change in the pocket of my camera bag, you never know when you need to spend 50/60p here or there for a drink, parking, or anything else.

Perhaps a camera would be useful......

:D

I know this sounds daft but if your going to Dubai then take the knife out of your bag.

When I went to Menorca last September I forgot I had a Spanner (for my car rig) and a multi use knife set with pliers etc. I had alot of explaining to do lol.

Good thinking...I thought the other day how bad it would be if I turned up at the airport forgetting it was in there and low-and-behold, I forgot!!!

DB

I think my new MUST HAVE item is the Expo Disc I recently bought, makes setting the white balance oh so easy. Cost £3 I think it was for a 77mm one. I’m gonna buy a pocket sized grey card aswell soon, and I must get an a6 notebook.

Also, been looking for an expodisc and theyare about £65 from W/E...where did you get one for £3?

DB

I don't think there's anything in my camera bag that I would class as 'cheap'. My pockets already contain things like money, iPhone, etc. Erm... there's always two Landranger (?) maps in the car for the area... can't really think of anything TBH.

I ALWAYS carry my tripod, all filters, and all lenses anyways. I think the only thing I don't take out every time is the flashgun.

leather chamois for keeping the rian off or a propper rain cover.

i keep a pint and tooth brush in the bag, great for getting dust/mud off the lens body and cam body

i keep allsorts in the bag, emergency 20 fags, lighter, empty bottle (never know), pain killers, anti septic wipes, midge spray, cap (great for keeping sun off the back of your neck)

gorillapod!!

leather chamois for keeping the rian off or a propper rain cover.

i keep a pint and tooth brush in the bag, great for getting dust/mud off the lens body and cam body

i keep allsorts in the bag, emergency 20 fags, lighter, empty bottle (never know), pain killers, anti septic wipes, midge spray, cap (great for keeping sun off the back of your neck)

gorillapod!!

pint, fags...
wheres the portable tv?

One of the most useful accessories I have in my camera bag is a rocket blower along with a lens cloth. Saved the day for me many a time.

Fingerless gloves and a rain cover.

Lisa

A compass - so I can figure out where the light will be coming from at other times of the day. Sometimes I'll find a great shot composition wise, but the light is all wrong - so I take out the compass and make notes (so add a notebook - though I replaced that with an iphone recently) and then come back another day at the appropriate time for the light.

I've usually got half a dozen "Opticlear" lens wipes in my bag. Cheap as chips, about £2 for 20 from Superdrug.

Pete

Okay, just ordered a optech raincover, 2 for £5 at WE, some digi-pads and eclipse cleaning solution. I'm hoping I won't need to use the rain cover in Dubai and Bahrain but having a recent weather report from ym Dad it's not been too good recently over there.

DB

A couple of black bin bags and a carrier bag ... bin bags for kneeling/sitting on or as rain covers, temporary shelter/hide. And the carrier bag to collect rubbish

A couple of black bin bags and a carrier bag ... bin bags for kneeling/sitting on or as rain covers, temporary shelter/hide. And the carrier bag to collect rubbish

I was in Snowdon for the Bank Holiday and actually bought some little kneeling pads (think they're foam pillows, roll-mat type material) which slip in the laptop section of my rucksack and allow me to get low-level shots without getting a wet bum or knees. Also good when you want a sit down walking up Snowdon ;)

Really lightweight and on £1 each.

DB

actually one really useful thing I carry is a pair of plastic bags.

- you know, the kind you get your shopping in. They are great for "emergency waterproofing" (my crumpler ain't waterproof) or if your out and about, I find I eventually end up using one for some purpose.

The other thing that I stated in another thread, is that if you get fizzy vitamin C (or any other vitamin) from boots, the plastic tube makes a great canister for 120 film! -but thats just cos I HATE! having to carry 120 film without some protection (i always end up opening it by mistake!

waterproof too!

oh and elastic bands. one of gods gifts to mankind....

I carry a priest attached to my bag with a length of 3mm paracord(y) you might call them something else but I genuinly carry a priest with me(y)

actually one really useful thing I carry is a pair of plastic bags.

- you know, the kind you get your shopping in. They are great for "emergency waterproofing" (my crumpler ain't waterproof) or if your out and about, I find I eventually end up using one for some purpose.

Definately agree with this, my Crumpler isn't waterproof / doesn't have the AW cover like my father-in-laws Lowepro bag, and was I glad that I had a plastic bag when I went to the Welsh Rally in October and had every season in 1 day - it saved my bag and probably the gear inside aswell:woot:

Cheap multi-type card reader?

Back