Must try harder :(

Name
Susane
Edit My Images
Yes
Was difficult getting sharp photos of planes with prop blur at Waddington last Sat.
I can't afford to go down the Dslr route yet so I'll just have to try harder with what I've got. :)

This is the best I got of the prop planes, I'll put the others up when I've processed them.

DSCF1074.jpg

very nice but you my have the camera in the wrong mode. Not sure myself as i do not have one but heres the exif data

Camera Maker: FUJIFILM
Camera Model: FinePix S100FS
Image Date: 2010-07-03 12:26:29 +0100
Focal Length: 73.6mm
Aperture: f/4.8
Exposure Time: 0.0022 s (1/450)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Action program (based towards fast shutter speed)
White Balance: Auto
Light Source: Unknown
Flash Fired: No (Manual)
Color Space: sRGB

Great timing (y)

Pure fluke! :LOL:

very nice but you my have the camera in the wrong mode. Not sure myself as i do not have one but heres the exif data

Thanks, yes I do know what the exif is, it's the remembering to change settings between different aircraft that I need to work on. :bonk: :D

The Prop Police should be happy with this one.

I don't think a dslr will do any better than the camera you have. And I can't see much wrong with the mode that you had it set on. 1/450 is faster than the Prop Police's requirements [250-ish] but has produced the required results, so you'll stay out of jail. Not sure of the aperture of 4.8 is the cause of the slight unsharpness - I don't think it's motion blur.

I think you could have moved the ISO higher to give you a smaller aperture. 200 easily. Not sure how the noise is if it were to be higher.

I'm not a mass-producer of plane shots so I'm no expert. But I've had good results setting a fixed shutter speed of 1000 or faster for the jets [750 or 500 at a push if it's dull], 250 for the props [trying desperately to remember to change as and when!] and an ISO to give me around f8 [sometimes a bit either side]. The 5D will give noise-free photos at 1600. As for focus most of the time it's on manual where I back it off slightly from infinity. Sometimes I'll let it autofocus on the first fly-by to set it up [checking the lens scale to make sure it's not somewhere stupid - the 5D isn't the most reliable auto-focuser] then switch to manual to stop it hunting. Most of the Heathrow shots [some posted here, lots more in my Zenfolio gallery] were taken this way.

And if it's any consolation - for every good picture I've taken there were 20 crap ones [.......maybe 10].

I hope you don't mind Susane, but I had a 30 second play with your image:

DSCF1074.jpg

See! You did really well! :)

Kev.

It was quite a heavy crop Mike, thanks for all the technical jabber, I'll take it on board. (y)

I hope you don't mind Susane, but I had a 30 second play with your image:

See! You did really well! :)

Kev.

Damn it Kev! what did you do ! I'm usually ok with PP but I must have loused up this one if you could pull that out of it.
I'm gonna give the raw another go.
That's a great job, thanks. :clap:

I know very little about PP. I simply just opened your shot as a RAW file and changed the white balance, changed the saturation and contrast slightly and a teeny weeny sharpen. :) I'm hoping to get some training on PP to help improve my own editing.
Thats what I meant about you actually did take a good shot!

Kev.

Back