MWHCVT(Matt's) Challenge 365 - Completed

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I have been giving it some thought for a few weeks and I have decided that with the new year, what the heck I'll give it a go, and not to be someone that takes the easy option, I have decided to go for a 365 over a 52 challenge so I hope I manage to pull it off.

Just a warning that there is likely to be more than a few light trails in this 365 as those that have seen my posts will attest to. ;)

1/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

The Challenge 365 Set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/sets/72157625597570143/

Thanks to anyone that takes a look that in itself is much appreciated and any comments that you make will be valued.

Matt
MWHCVT

A slide show of my Challenge 365 - 2011 is viewable HERE

Day 3 - A flash experiment

3/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I used the flash off the camera for this photo, not to shabby for the first time that I have tried this method of illumination.

Matt
MWHCVT

Good luck with your challenge - you have made a great start

Nice use of the lemonade there - very clever :D

gl with the project

Thanks, it was inspired by a image from a DLSR Mag that I read

Good luck with the project. The money image is my favourite to start with.

Thanks, this picture is mad when you looks at the full size one the level of detail in the front three coins is amazing, trouble is it is making me want to buy a dedicated macro lens ;) my dream kit list is just getting longer and longer I think I need that lottery win soon :p

Good luck with your challenge - you have made a great start

Thanks.

I already have a plan for 4/365 but I'm not going to spoil the surprise, and it might fail miserably, there will be a delay in posting at the end of the week as have to head down to the big smoke for a hospital appointment overnight but will take the camera with me.

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 4 - Anyone for a cocktail

4/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I think with more planning this could be a really good image but this was not what I wanted for today if I am honest, I was hoping to have a photo of the partial solar eclipse for today but the clouds had a different plan :dummy:

I hope to get away from the house tomorrow if the car is fixed (y)

Thanks for taking a look

Matt
MWHCVT

I still like image 4 even though it isn't what you intended.

I must say that I still really like the image, I think that I am still angry at the clouds blocking my view of the eclipse, very pleased for the TP's that managed to get some fantastic images of the eclipse.

Now what the get tomorrow, I also need to consider what to capture for my interpretation of this weeks TP 52 Challenge, I have a couple of concepts in my head.

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 5 - Lighting Disappointment

I went down to the local church to take a night shot only had 5 minutes to get the photo as have been busy this evening because of my trip down to London tomorrow so to get there and find out that one corner is not lit at all was very disappointing to say the least.

5/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I prefer the B&W to the colour but this can be seen on my flickr account.

Day 6 will not be posted tomorrow as will not have Internet access to post but will be taken tomorrow.

Matt
MWHCVT

Look on the bright side Matt [/pun] your in London today - so many opportunities

Good luck with the 365

Ian

Look on the bright side Matt [/pun] your in London today - so many opportunities

Good luck with the 365

Ian

Thanks, Ian there will be a lot of opportunities I am sure but for most of the time I will be horizontal ;) I have to go to St. Thomas' for a sleep study.

I suspect that my image for tomorrow will be a nice picture of Parliament ;)

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 6 - Great Balls of Boken

Well I know that this is being posted a day late but the photo was taken on day 6 so it still counts, well after walking what seemed like miles of corridors at St. Thomas' hospital I could not find a view to capture the image that I had in my head so time to rethink my plans.

It struck me as looking down river how beautiful all the lights were so I snapped a couple of shots, then I thought time to be a bit more creative and having never attempted this style before I thought well lets give it a go.

6/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr
Matt
MWHCVT

Last edited:
Day 7 - The inevitable light trail

Regrettably this is not the best light trail that I have ever done but is the first true light trail that I have done this year ;) and it adds a new light trails location to the map

7_365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I will be doing more but not sure when yet, I have another trip to London in a 11 days and for the first time since I was 10 I am going to go for a bit of a mooch around and take some photos weather permitting

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 7 - The inevitable light trail

Regrettably this is not the best light trail that I have ever done but is the first true light trail that I have done this year ;) and it adds a new light trails location to the map

7_365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

I will be doing more but not sure when yet, I have another trip to London in a 11 days and for the first time since I was 10 I am going to go for a bit of a mooch around and take some photos weather permitting

Matt
MWHCVT

Nice light trail. What time was it? Looks as if the sun was just going down?

Nice light trail. What time was it? Looks as if the sun was just going down?

Thanks, it was actually taken at about 9.30 this evening, was really p***ed off actually because I had just packed all my gear away back in the car and ready to pull of as a big breakdown truck was coming one way and a ambulance with blues and twos went the other way so would have had both in the exposure :bonk: :bang: :bonk: :bang: :bonk: :bang:

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 8 - Gold Hour for Trails

Well with day 7 because of the time of day the trail was not one that would rank as one of my best in the style, so I thought that I ought to go out am prove that I am talented with light trails or at least I think that I am ;)

8/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Let me know what you think, as always C&C very much welcome and appreciated. for those that are interested I have added 17 new trails into my set from this evening pleased head over to my set to have a look at them http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/sets/72157622801523928

An added bonus to this evening trip would be a new location to the light trails map, that would be two in two days.

Thanks for you interest

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 8 - Gold Hour for Trails

Well with day 7 because of the time of day the trail was not one that would rank as one of my best in the style, so I thought that I ought to go out am prove that I am talented with light trails or at least I think that I am ;)

8/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Let me know what you think, as always C&C very much welcome and appreciated. for those that are interested I have added 17 new trails into my set from this evening pleased head over to my set to have a look at them http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/sets/72157622801523928

An added bonus to this evening trip would be a new location to the light trails map, that would be two in two days.

Thanks for you interest

Matt
MWHCVT

Very nice, your best yet imo. The trails are not too burnt out and the sky looks awesome! Nicee :)

Day 9 - By Royal Appointment

9/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Taken on the way to Daventry, I was planning to take a nice atmospheric photo of a long abandoned church at sunset, but I was about 10 years ago since I have been there so could not for the life of me find it, will drag dad out one evening and go and find it. So went for walk around the marina. The was a chap on the bridge that was also out with a DSLR if I had not been in a hurry I would have gone and spoken to him, I wonder was this a fellow TPer

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 10 - Inspiration Tested

So I was having a lot of trouble thinking of an idea for today, since the weather has been terrible and have been busy all daytime I have not been able to play with the camera outside, so it was going to have to be an indoor photo today. So was seriously struggling with what to shoot, here comes facebook, posted my problem as my status and within a minute there was suggestions coming in.

So decided to have a play, don't think that I have done the concept justice at all so I really need C&C on this image, this is a result of an hour of shots, a box of matches and a increasingly frustrated Matt.

10/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Thanks for your time.

Matt
MWHCVT

nice pic, like the DOF. As im subscribed reminded me to take mine. almost forgot :bonk:

nice pic, like the DOF. As im subscribed reminded me to take mine. almost forgot :bonk:

Cheers, have struggled with inspiration this last couple of days if I am honest looking forward to your shot.

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 12 - Oil Slick

Well sticking with the macro theme of the last couple of days here is today's offering.

12_365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

As always C&C more than welcome and appreciated

Matt
MWHCVT

Loving this a lot! Can I ask how you went about it?

Thanks, I set the tripod up with the camera under the tripod using my remote trigger, the oil and water was in a glass bowl set on a sheet of holographic wrapping paper but this was an experiment as last time I used tin foil and that seemed to work well also, I then mixed into the oil and water some yellow and blue food colouring, finally I played around with my flash at different angles until I was totally happy.

There is a picture of my set up in this thread of mine

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=283551

Matt
MWHCVT

Day 13 - Fly away home

A close look as some of my fishing flies

13_365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

There are a few more on my flickr so please consider taking a look. If anyone has any tips on how I can do this and get the backdrop better, this was done of a white sheet of card?

Matt
MWHCVT

Well I really love the money one and the fly one. Best of luck with the 365.

Well I really love the money one and the fly one. Best of luck with the 365.

Thanks so much, I think that the money shot will show itself but with something else in the lemonade.

Matt
MWHCVT

The fly shot is great. I like the bokeh on the one at the back

Thanks, it was a really pleasing photo, unlike today, I have really struggled today with taking photo's today as the weather has been so dull and I havent had the time to set up to do a indoor shot.

Matt
MWHCVT

Hiya Matt,

I have been following your 365 on Flickr, but thought I would pop in here too so that I have your thread bookmarked so I can see the comments other peeps are leaving and to keep up with you progress.

The images you have produced so far a fabulous. I especially like the coins, cocktail, light trails and the oil slick.

Like the match technique too and something I want to try soon.

Also like the bit of bokeh you have got on the flies.

Love the colours and sense of motion you have captured in the windmill. Not a bad attempt for handheld.

Look forward to seeing the rest of your 365, I'm sure I will draw some inspiration from your images to help me get through my 365.

Good luck.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Day 15 - Hit Hard, Hit Fast

I have decided to use this image for my 15th image of my 365, this is my first trip out this year togging at a sports game, this was taken today at Copsewood RFC vs Coventrians RFC, I think that this truly shows that there is often nothing amateur about the amateur game.

15/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Conditions - Dull, Cold and Windy :LOL:

Matt
MWHCVT

Wow Matt I think that is fantastic! It looks pretty sharp to me, not to mention a great tackle (Rugby is the sport I like to watch .... think it must have something to do with my South African upbringing .....and am a big fan of 'die bokke')

Matt, if you want advice regards sports photography, Tony (aka Kipax) here on TP is fantastic. He referred me to TP way back in Jan last year and the images he has are amazing, and best of all is I get to see some his pics published in the local paper (as he is a local lad to moi). I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you sent him a PM.

Cheers

Thanks Dawn, I have just finished going through all the photos from today only took me 3 1/5 solid hours of editing :LOL:

I can believe that, it generally takes me a day to process 600+ pics. So go on, tell me did you get anything fab?

Cheers

I can believe that, it generally takes me a day to process 600+ pics. So go on, tell me did you get anything fab?

Cheers

Yeah there are some good ones in there, and I could edit them that fast because I open the first and scroll through them and delete all that I don't like at first sight, then I open them in the editor and level, any that cannot be levelled without loosing a key part of the image is then deleted this leaves me my keepers :clap: then for this style it is just a case of crop and as required adjust contrast and brightness, maybe on the odd one a pass of sharpening but that is it so generally about 90-100 seconds per image once the initial 30-60 minutes of yes/no filtering has been completed.

For me the highlights would be:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/5358190219/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/5358192365/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/5358811664/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/5358202673/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/5358819112/

But of Course please don't take my word for it may your own mind up ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/sets/72157625706743353/

Oddly there are exactly 100 in the set, so I am quite please to have a 1:6.9 success rate :LOL:

Matt
MWHCVT

Back