Daily MWHCVT(Matt's) Challenge 366 - 2012 - Now with added 5D3 Goodness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 219 - Going Green

Don't worry I've not gone and hit the eco bug, but I did get my first green finch today (y) though I confess that this is a huge crop :bang:

219/366 (584) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt
MWHCVT

Thanks John, I'm really pleased with how its come out (y) so how you getting on with the 5D3?

Pretty well, as you've noticed from you shot today its pretty forgiving on the crops and can actually take images in the shade!

Nice bird by the way :)

Pretty well, as you've noticed from you shot today its pretty forgiving on the crops and can actually take images in the shade!

Nice bird by the way :)

Good to here (y) though I knew you wouldn't be disappointed (y) it also makes the big sigma a very useful lens (y) as it handles ISO so well (y)

Glad you like my little greeny (y)

Matt

I'm really wanting a 5D2 or 3 now - trouble is a lot of my lenses are efs and i can't afford to replace them all with ef models :crying: , maybe i'll get a 7D instead

I'm really wanting a 5D2 or 3 now - trouble is a lot of my lenses are efs and i can't afford to replace them all with ef models :crying: , maybe i'll get a 7D instead

Well with the firmware update I keep hearing rumors of the 7D should be a even more impressive beast (y) though I guess that will not help the people that are desperate for a 7D2 :bang: that said if you made the move the FF in the form of the 5D2/3 I'm sure you would get a lot from it, but as you say it's the lens that would be an issue for you at the moment, virtually since buying the 450D all them years ago I made a choice that where I could I would only buy EF on the of chance that I'd make the move to FF

Very nice Greenfinch Matt, excellent for a huge crop!

Thanks Michael it really is a massive crop too I much have cropped down to about 1/3 of the full frame area :eek:

To be honest Matt, I'm not sure that this new lens of yours is helping you mate, agreed its a "huge crop" but quality wise it isn't the best. Just an idea, have you thought about dropping it on your 40d (is it) which would give you an effective fl 800mm as opposed to 500 and cropping, just a thought.....?

To be honest Matt, I'm not sure that this new lens of yours is helping you mate, agreed its a "huge crop" but quality wise it isn't the best. Just an idea, have you thought about dropping it on your 40d (is it) which would give you an effective fl 800mm as opposed to 500 and cropping, just a thought.....?

Only a 450D mate but I will have to give it a go (y) I'm really enjoying get shot's that are at least usable (y) where as the 70-300 was flipping useless :bang: I've got the 70-200/2.8 coming for a play for a week later this week I've hired it as I want to see how it performs :D my bird photos are no where close to your epic standards of course :D

That's not what I mean, unless you've got a 500 or 600 prime with a 1.4x your always going to struggle on a ff body, especially with wildlife.

That's not what I mean, unless you've got a 500 or 600 prime with a 1.4x your always going to struggle on a ff body, especially with wildlife.

Indeed you are of course right on that front :bang: must find that winning ticket :LOL: but still going to be nice to try out that lens :D I maybe the next thing to hire to try out is going to have to be a decent long and 1.4TC :thinking: that could be fun

Some good stuff again recently, Matt.
Like the Weston's bottle, great editing and depth.
It really gives a good feel of the British summer (whatever that is!) ;)
Really like the "Support" shot with the Olympic ingot too.

Some good stuff again recently, Matt.
Like the Weston's bottle, great editing and depth.
It really gives a good feel of the British summer (whatever that is!) ;)
Really like the "Support" shot with the Olympic ingot too.

Thanks Ben, pleased your still seeing some decent stuff in here (y) that Westons Cider was a real pleasure to shoot it's come out so well just as I envisioned it (y) and then I had to drink it ;) It was nice to do the ingot support shot, as it was the first time that I used my flash in a couple of months :eek: :wacky:

Matt

MWHCVT said:
Indeed you are of course right on that front :bang: must find that winning ticket :LOL: but still going to be nice to try out that lens :D I maybe the next thing to hire to try out is going to have to be a decent long and 1.4TC :thinking: that could be fun

I agree with Jay on this one. I think you will get better results with your Sigma on the 450D as you won't have to crop anywhere near as much as you do with your FF body.

Jason

I agree with Jay on this one. I think you will get better results with your Sigma on the 450D as you won't have to crop anywhere near as much as you do with your FF body.

Jason

Indeed the only issue is that the Siggy is quite a slow lens so the ISO performance of the 5D3 is often very useful :bang:

i'm not sure that those suggesting the smaller sensored body are right here - the 450D has a 12mp sensor against the 5D3s 22.3

so if a 5D3 image is cropped to the equivalent size it would have an 14.3MP

and thus there should be slightly more info in the crop than there would be in a full 450D shot.

I suspect the issue matt may be having leading to some of these shots not looking entirely sharp is more to do with either wobble (coming from not being used to holding the length of a 500mm lens) or noise from high iso use. The former will come in time and won't be helped by attaching a lighter body , and the later is just one of those things but again better on the 5d3

i'm not sure that those suggesting the smaller sensored body are right here - the 450D has a 12mp sensor against the 5D3s 22.3

so if a 5D3 image is cropped to the equivalent size it would have an 14.3MP

and thus there should be slightly more info in the crop than there would be in a full 450D shot.

I suspect the issue matt may be having leading to some of these shots not looking entirely sharp is more to do with either wobble (coming from not being used to holding the length of a 500mm lens) or noise from high iso use. The former will come in time and won't be helped by attaching a lighter body , and the later is just one of those things but again better on the 5d3

Now that does raise and interesting point (y) and I will confess no one that I had given much consideration too :bang: also it is taking me time to get used to holding the sigma, it's a bit of a beast :eek:

are you hand holding or on a tripod ? - Ive got the non stabilised 170-500 and find that hand holding is virtually impossible unless you can lean it on something.

i'd say use a tripod or monopod (eitherway on the lens foot not the camera) wherever possible

are you hand holding or on a tripod ? - Ive got the non stabilised 170-500 and find that hand holding is virtually impossible unless you can lean it on something.

i'd say use a tripod or monopod (eitherway on the lens foot not the camera) wherever possible

Everything taken through that lens have been hand held except for my two moon photos (y) may have to head out and get a monopod :thinking:

Very interesting points made, ones that I hadn't considered..!

Neither had I to be honest (y)

Its surprising how long it takes getting used to such a beast. I have had mine since focus on imaging and still getting used to it. I can now manage to hand hold it but still not quite found the right breathing technique.

You sound like an SAS Sniper :D but it is taking some time to get used to :bonk:

Matt

I find a manfrotto monopod with the 222 joystick head very flexible to use with mine - if you think of the rule of thumb that says that for handholding you need 1/focal length so this would be 1/500 minimum

the OS gives you two stops - so you need 1/125 minimum with the OS engaged

I find a manfrotto monopod with the 222 joystick head very flexible to use with mine - if you think of the rule of thumb that says that for handholding you need 1/focal length so this would be 1/500 minimum

the OS gives you two stops - so you need 1/125 minimum with the OS engaged

I always try to have my SS at x2 of the focal legnth as I just find that more manageable, this goes out the window though if I'm shooting prop aircraft though :bang:

I didn't realise that Matt had the OS version of the Sigma, although with a "slow" lens even with OS you can still find you are struggling for light and also struggling to get a shutter speed fast enough to hand hold.

That's why the long prime lenses are the holy grail and so expensive I suppose. It would be too easy if there were simple and cheap solutions :shrug:

I suppose that I am only jealous that I only have 300mm lol and even that is taking me a while to get used to hand hold properly.

Good suggestions on the 450D vs the 5D3 and the crop issues, again I am one of those that hadn't even considered those options.

Some good images though Matt, I don't suppose that any of us will ever be satisfied with our own images or equipment.

Jason

I didn't realise that Matt had the OS version of the Sigma, although with a "slow" lens even with OS you can still find you are struggling for light and also struggling to get a shutter speed fast enough to hand hold.

That's why the long prime lenses are the holy grail and so expensive I suppose. It would be too easy if there were simple and cheap solutions :shrug:

I suppose that I am only jealous that I only have 300mm lol and even that is taking me a while to get used to hand hold properly.

Good suggestions on the 450D vs the 5D3 and the crop issues, again I am one of those that hadn't even considered those options.

Some good images though Matt, I don't suppose that any of us will ever be satisfied with our own images or equipment.

Jason

It's amazing to be honest Jason I'm still struggling with the capability upgrade that I've gone through with getting the 5D3 I find myself sometimes still thinking like I'm shooting the 450D and it's limitations, wouldn't we all like a couple of really nice fast long primes, but as you say it's out of reach of most except the most committed of users, I don't think unless I have the winning ticket for tonight that I'll ever own one of them lens as I just don't do enough wildlife or sport that would justify me making it a saving goal :shrug:

Glad your liking some of the images that I'm putting up I'm just uploading a photo of a really big winged beast as my photo's of the day :D

Matt

Day 220 - Ruslan the old Russian

This afternoon I went up to EMA to watch and get some photo's of this Russian Air Force Antonov AN124 depart so here you see I'm face on with this big old beast of an aircraft :eek:

220/366 (585) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

It's hard to get a sense of scale from this photo but you can get a good idea from some of the other photo's from today (y) CLICK HERE too see the (total of 5 images)

Matt
MWHCVT

MWHCVT said:
Day 220 - Ruslan the old Russian

This afternoon I went up to EMA to watch and get some photo's of this Russian Air Force Antonov AN124 depart so here you see I'm face on with this big old beast of an aircraft :eek:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mwhcvt/7734188646/
220/366 (585) by mwhcvt, on Flickr

It's hard to get a sense of scale from this photo but you can get a good idea from some of the other photo's from today (y) CLICK HERE too see the (total of 5 images)

Matt
MWHCVT

I love the Antonov. It's one of my favourite planes and I hope I get to see one for real one day.

They are huge. Don't tell me, you were using your fish eye lens from half a mile away and could still only just fit it into the frame lol

Jason

I love the Antonov. It's one of my favourite planes and I hope I get to see one for real one day.

They are huge. Don't tell me, you were using your fish eye lens from half a mile away and could still only just fit it into the frame lol

Jason

:LOL: this was my first one, I travelled up to EMA just for this :D I hope one day to see the AN225 there, it has been there in the past, the AN124's are in quite regular, you should check out Yahoo Groups, there is a group called EMAG standing for East Midlands Air Group and I get a few emails a day of them about stuff going on in the area aeronautically (y)

8mm :LOL: it's big and would love to get the access to take those kind of shots :D but no this was the Big Siggy (y) and this is a near full frame just a tiny crop as I left myself some levelling room :D but shot at 289 mm according to the exif (y)

Last edited:
What a cracking plane Matt. A very nice set. I really must join that group. At least then I will get some worthwhile emails! Lol

Thanks :D it's a massive old plane and you really should join the group EMA has some really interesting visitors in the aircraft form :D

That is one massive beast of a plane! Would like to see one of them up close myself.

Thanks, I'm lucky in that I'm not that far from EMA so if something interesting like this is coming in I can usually get there and grab some photos (y)

Matt

That's a big old bird Matt,

That's a big old bird Matt , worth the trip I reacon

Indeed it is mate :D If I really push it I can be there quite quickly :naughty:

Bloody awesome beast that Antonov AN124, some nice shots in that set Matt !

It's an amazing thing to see you only really get a sense of size when you see it against something like the big lorry refuelling it, that incidentally took two trips :eek: that's one massive bill :LOL:

Matt

I hope he paid with a cashback credit card :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back