My 52 Photos for 2009 - Week 17 DARK

-Rob-

Say Cheese!...Oh, and call me Susan
Edit My Images
No
So the theme for Week 1 is "Reflection". Having not had time to get out and take one specific to the theme I'm using this one that was taken on New Years Eve on the Leeds Liverpool canal.

01-Reflection.jpg

Comments welcomed on this and any of the following 51 photos.

Last edited:
Well it certainly fits the theme - shame you couldn't get out this week though. Looking forward to seeing what you do with next weeks (y)

rob, glad you are with us. This is very reminicent of the sort of photos I took when I was starting out. It's clearly an interesting subject but the photo is a bit cluttered to make a statement.

You've captured the reflection well (assuming that was your intention) but I think it would be more effective if you zoomed (or cropped) in close to a specific part of the image that most interests you.

Good luck on this week's theme, get out there and put the effort in to getting something fresh. It's hard work but it is rewarding (y)

Good one Rob, welcome to the 52, good luck for the remaining 51

Welcome to the 52ers and I know what you mean about not being able to get out and about when you want to. In the past I've done the same as you and looked for something that I could use instead and then later realised I would have done better if I'd actually shot something specific :shake:

It sounds like I think it doesn't fit, but it does (y) it's just a bit cluttered for me. Looking forward to seeing your take on History. :)

Well inspiration for a 'History' theme was a little on the light side so I decided to nip down to the library, find a few history books and do a simple still life. I know it's not an exciting photo but it fits the bill so it'll have to do.

02-HistoryBooks.jpg

Last edited:
nice one on the reflections shot Rob

Well that fits the history alright... and the next aswell...now it's learning:LOL:

As soon as I saw the 'learning' theme for this week's photo I knew I wanted to use my daughter in an image but being divorced and not seeing her all the time means I've not had the chance to take something new this week so I've had to resort to a picture taken on holiday last summer. I love the curious look on her face. You can only wonder what thoughts are going through her head as the caterpillar crawls over her. I just wish she'd learn to wipe her mouth properly after eating chocolate but that's kids for you!!

03-Learning.jpg
<< Edited 24th Jan to lighten face and clone chocolate out.

Last edited:
That's a gorgeous shot. Her concentration is totally on the caterpillar and you've caught her expression beautifully. I like the fact that you have focussed on the caterpillar and your daughter's face is slightly oof. :)

Perfect for this week's theme - did you have advance warning? :D

Jean

Good shot for history, and a lovely shot for learning. Wonderfully caught image of deep concentration (y)

I love your Learning shot. The concentration on her face, and the focus on the caterpillar make it a great capture. I love the soft focus of her face too. :clap:

Brilliantly caught image, fantastic expression. I don't know if it is the monitor I'm using but I think the face is touch too dark. I find fill in flash really helps on sunny days but in this case I am sure some PP could bring the brightness up in the image.

I think this would be stunning as a square canvas on the wall.

Lovely capture - and as pure a bit of learning as you could find :) No books or teachers just the 'student' and the 'subject'

Her face is perhaps a tiny bit dark as Simon mentioned (or again it could be my monitor) but the composition and especially the fact that you have captured a great moment make this a lovely shot for me :)

Thanks for your comments everyone. I agree that her face was a little dark but I decided to post the picture as it came out of the camera, I didn't even do a crop, I just added a thin black border. I have gone back to it now and lightened the face slightly and also tried to clone out the chocolate around her mouth. Only minor tweaks but hopefully they'll make a difference.

Your third shot is far and away the best of the three imo - you've really caught her concentration and I think the composition is great (y)

Very nice shot indeed...total concentration, not taking any notice of you which is always great with kids...well done...agree with Daysleeper40 your best one so far...:clap:

Lovely shot for 'Learning', expression is tremendous and I think the framing is spot on.:clap:

This photo made me smile as it brought back so many memories of when I was a child, trying to keep millipeeds and snails as pets. It also makes me laugh at how pathetic I am at being so frightened of some insects but not others now.

A really lovely image which captured the moment beautifully. I'll let you off that it was taken last year as I may be cheating myself this week. Although my image was only taken a week or two ago.

I'm with everyone, I do prefer the third one although the first two are still good pitcures. It's just the expression, you can just see the concentration and wonder what she's thinking

After doing so well in Week 3 for Learning I had absolutely no inspiration at all for Surprise in week 4 and never really found the time to go out and and get the photo I needed. I will however at some point in the year (hopefully sooner rather than later) come back to this subject and catch up. So, on to week 5 and Opposites. I had plenty of ideas for this one but at the end of the day I decided on the blonde vs brunette picture below.

05-Opposites.jpg

Last edited:
I think lots of us found Week 4 hard going - but when you come back to it you'll enjoy it, I'm sure. :)

Week 5 is a treat - good portraits and fitting the theme very well. The girls' expressions and their make up are lovely and I also like the colours of their tops/jumpers - very subtle and in keeping with the hair and skin tones. :clap::clap:

Jean

Good choice I'd say...how do you get any teenagers to pose like that...:LOL:

I like the blonde vs brunette theme...and great lighting...:clap:

Good spin on the theme, good portrait too! Hair vs hair and top v top works well!

Good stuff :clap:

Well done for coming back, and with a great photo.:clap::clap:

agree with everything thats been said.

good job :clap:

Glad to see you are back, I like the image, the closeness of the faces really brings out the differences in the hair.

What did you use to light it and what did you use as a back drop? I can see the background isn't uniform and the blonde's face is in a fair bit of shadow and I'm wondering if this is deliberate, accidental or a lack of kit.

Is there anything you don't like about the image and how would you go about doing this again.

Well done Rob, that's a great comeback shot. Plenty of differences in there, it's worked really well.

Sorry you missed your Surpise shot, life has a habit of getting in the way no matter what our intentions are :(

I think your Opposites shot is spot on for the theme. (y) Hair colour, skin tones and clothing all work well and you've caught the eyes spot on. :clap:

Having the theme of 'Special' for Valentines week certainly provided some easy inspriation for me. At the request of my girlfriend we've just had a day in the Lake District around Ullswater and Windermere. Ullswater is our favourite area of the Lake District, we've been camping and walking there several times in the last couple of years but today was purely about spending time together, having a picnic by the lake and just relaxing. This was the special view we had from the side of Ullswater as we ate our lunch. I could have sat there all day.

06-Special.jpg

Rob, I agree with everything Jean has said. That's a great shot. (y)

That's a lovely shot, beautiful landscape.

Nice bit of forground interest...excellent...:clap:

Rob, this is an excellent shot. I love the way the clouds give depth to the blue sky (and I like the line from the plane just going out.)

Because of the angle of the sun, the mountain centre right ish is highlighted and whilst I originally looked at the stones in the forground, my eye was drawn into the background and I found myself imagining what it would be like on this mountain.

I love the fact that both the forgound and background are both firmly in focus. What a gorgeous place to visit.

A question, is this shot as it was or did you need to play a little in photoshop?

anyway great stuff :clap: :clap: :clap:

Back