My Book: More.Than.Mundane

Name
Joanne Christian
Edit My Images
Yes
Been working on it for a bit and now its on the Blurb website!
i've just put a preview on there, but i'd be interesting to know what you think.
The writing on the cover is a bit hard to read, but its too late for me to do anything about that!

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1205667

Maybe I am missing a trick here but what is the purpose of the book?

Not much to go on there Jo. Need a few more pics at least.

They say not to judge a book by its cover... but to be honest if I can't read the writing I'm not going to buy it. ;)

Also, are you expecting to sell any copies at £59.95 or is that a typo?

Could we have a bit more background on it?

From the limited preview available it seems to be a coffee table type book with photos of abandoned sites, etc. Kind of glossy urban exploration.

It looks very professional and the photos that I can see are very well shot and processed.

I like what I can see.

However, I do feel that it will have a very limited appeal and the price will put off a lot of people.

Hope that is the kind of feedback you were after Jo.

I would consider paying that price for a book I knew for absolute certain I would love to bits. Even then I'd want to browse a copy first, and after that I would only maybe buy it. The book looks intersting and well produced judging by the preview. I would think about it if I could see more of what was inside, and for £20 or less, but that is way too much imo.

Looks interesting Jo and well done for going for it! However the price is far too dear in my opinion. I cant imagine ever paying that for a book. But well done, it looks good (y)

nowt wrong with the price its a coffee table book type size and its funky contemporary type imagery

loving the pics themselves, need t get urbexing more :p

thanks for the feedback guys!
its not really so much for people to buy.. its kind of just for me but blurb have the option so its not that bad!
the cover only seems difficult to read on the blurb site, its fine on the booksmart software so i'm crossing my fingers hoping it comes out fine on the finished copy.
Blurb have priced it up as that much because thats how much it costs to make, i would love to make it cheaper (or free!) but obviously they aren't mass produced, they are done individually.
The preview on there has a small selection of images, obviously the real book has a lot more, and i need to get a website loaded up to make them easier to access.
The book is really for me to take to university interviews. I'm hoping they see it as an interesting way to present my prints, and it looks different to what other people are taking in.
i realised i didn't write anything about it in the opening post! but i got a bit excited that i had finally managed to put it all together and i needed to tell someone :p
xxx

typography is not god on any of the sample pages - difficult to read - and badly spaced - white against light b/gs. pics look interesting but not enough tere to judge.

If it's primarily for you to use then I guess the only relevant question is: does it do what you need it to do?

But @ £60 is going to put off pretty much everyone I else from buying it however good it is!

How many pages is it?

I would consider paying that, but only for a photographer I am a fan of etc. Seems very expensive, but images look good.

As long as you are not in it to sell lots of copies then great, you have a book for sale. I mean that in the nicest way though! as reading it, it does come off as sarcastic. Well done for putting it together. I am considering doing some of these for portfolios, so would be interested in quality.

Actually one more comment having looked over the preview -- I get how the first two pictures relate very clearly to the cover, the title and the ethos but I don't see how the portrait at the end does. Am I missing something? Is it clearer in the book?

If I'm honest about it Jo, I'm not sure that taking a self-published book (it's 'vanity publishing' after all) to a university interview, conveys the right impression.

I dunno. Not sure about that. Not knocking it - I would love to have a good enough set of pictures to do that with myself. Just a thought. Don't want it to back fire.

I think taking the book in will make a great impression. As all the interviews for Uni are coming up my lecturers are constantly reccomending a book as presentation. It shows initiative and speaks of how serious you are about getting on the course. Good luck Jo (y)

If you sign up to Blurb's (damn it can't remember what its called) something like 'set your price' thing then the whole book will show in the preview.

Andy

Back