My First 100% Film Wedding

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

As some of you will know, this was a goal of mine for a long time so I thought I would share some of the images with you guys as well as the fact that I found a lovely couple happy to trust me with their amazing wedding day.

Chose not to put it in the C&C section as I am aware of the grain and the lack of razor sharp digital detail at 400%. The couple were very happy with the final set of images which totalled 377 images, delivered digitally on USB as well as a full set of proof prints.

I didn't touch a digital body all day, and going forwards, there are things I have learned which I would do maybe differently, including some film selection in certain formats, however on the whole, I think it went quite well.

Here are a few images with a link to the blog post (which is not that long). :)

http://www.garethmorton.com/blog1/sam-izzy-london-rowing-club-wedding-film-analogue-filmwedding

GM160617BW244513-20170627-05.jpg

GM160617244503-20170626-13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These are just gorgeous, Gareth. Proper kudos to you for doing a fully-film wedding, I have only done one wedding (digital, a friend's) and I'd never do it again!

Well done Gareth, they look fantastic. I remember when you first posted about weddings on film- you were really passionate about it, even though a lot of people tried to put you off. You knew exactly what you wanted to do and you worked hard to get there. I'm glad the hard work has finally paid off :)

Well done :) looks great!

How many rolls of film did you get developed? will you do it again?

Great work Gareth, the combination of colour and b&w works so well. Like others Im keen to know film used and camera combinations.

Hmmm - so what have we learned here then?

That a really good photographer can take really good photos using film, just like he can using digital? lol

Of course its not brave of you or the couple, that's how hundreds of millions of Weddings have been captured, so what have you learned about doing it this way that makes you want to do it again? What does it bring to the experience for either you or the client that's better?

Yours - really intrigued ex film and glad to see the back of it user :D

Dave

I think shooting a wedding on film is certainly brave, especially when there is the easier option of digital, where you can review photos on the fly. Just because you don't like film, don't bash someone's fantastic results using it. The couple obviously wanted the film look and feel - something that, despite lots of filters etc, still can't be exactly matched by digital.

That a really good photographer can take really good photos using film, just like he can using digital? lol

Of course its not brave of you or the couple, that's how hundreds of millions of Weddings have been captured, so what have you learned about doing it this way that makes you want to do it again? What does it bring to the experience for either you or the client that's better?

Dave

:troll::troll::troll:

Dave
Surely every day is a learning day Dave, I'm intrigued to know why you were so glad to see the back of film.

Excellent results.

I'm interested to know how much PP you did, not that they look like they have had a lot at all, but to get the consistency?

It's always nice when Dave pops his head beneath the parapet to let us know that digital is better, I enjoy his insightful, thoughtful comments nearly as much as his work. :D

Oh, and what we've learned here is that if you give people choice you are onto a winner and that a good photographer can take good images with pretty much any kind of kit but if it is top of the range then the images will be stunning. Well done Gareth, a lovely set.

Great images but am confused to why you would go to all that effort and then convert the images to digital so they can go on a USB.

Comes across a little bit as being retro for retros sake. Might as well just have shot digital.

Because everyone wants to put their wedding shots on Facebook etc now, surely?

Did a flare go up, alerting people to come and have a dig at this thread?

Great images but am confused to why you would go to all that effort and then convert the images to digital so they can go on a USB.

Comes across a little bit as being retro for retros sake. Might as well just have shot digital.

That's how we, in this modern world of ours, share our images, including us retrographers on here. Even if you convert a film shot to digital it still has that 'film look' and it would appear that nearly every bloody photo manipulating software is trying desperately to emulate it. Just shoot film, sorted. (y):sneaky:

Just checked out the blog. Looks great. Which camera and which film do you use if you don't mind me asking?

Wow, quite the response! Firstly, forgive me for not quoting everyone directly, there are just too many for me to do this time, however I will try to address some of the points if I may? (potential long reply coming)

Firstly, thank you for the kind words on the images. It is very much appreciated. I definitely wouldn't use the word 'brave' for shooting weddings on film. The main disadvantage is not being able to review as you go but that is also a blessing in a lot of respects. Firstly, I took a lot less images than I do digitally and had a much higher keeper percentage.

How many rolls of film did you get developed? will you do it again?

what films and formats did you use?

Like others Im keen to know film used and camera combinations.

Which camera and which film do you use if you don't mind me asking?

I shot the entire day on a combination of Contax 645 with 80mm F2.0, Nikon F100 with 35mm F1.4 and Leica M2 with 50mm F2.0.

Film stocks were Kodak Portra 400 and 800 for the colour (a single roll of Fuji 400H in 35mm) with Ilford HP5 and Ilford Delta 3200 for the B&W, a mix of 120 and 35mm for all of them. I shot a total of I think 35 rolls. It was 625 frames anyway, delivering a final number of 377.

I'm interested to know how much PP you did, not that they look like they have had a lot at all, but to get the consistency?

I did almost zero PP to the images in regard of colour etc, I work with a great lab (Canadian Film Lab) who take care of all that. I did have to rotate a lot of images though as I don't seem to be able to hold a camera straight for the life of me!

Dave

Firstly, I take the first part as a compliment so thank you for that. The second part I shall address under the next quote as I feel they are the same point......

So personally, I LOVE film. The look, the feel, the way it makes me shoot. Why convert to digital? Unfortunately it seems that is something that's a necessary evil, not only for delivering to clients so they can view and share their images socially, but for marketing as a photographer. What would I put on the website otherwise or use to get work? I refuse to do a full digital package though. A lot of photographers now are providing their final product in the form of a download link. I will never do that. Now this isn't a dig at those who do it, not at all as it's whatever works for people but I constantly see (or I did when I was in a certain FB group) people asking for ways to do it cheaper, cheaper. Get rid of boxes and USB and go download only. My thought are, if my customers are paying in excess of £1,000 (even when I shoot digitally), I want them to have something to hold and feel and see. This is something I talk about in my promo video.

As I said, with my film wedding (and hopefully more in the future) I also provide a full set of 6x4 and 6x4.5 proofs. The clients in this instance loved receiving that. In fact, here is what the bride said....

"We got home last night to your beautiful box full of the most wonderful photos! I honestly can't thank you enough - we are thrilled with them and they brought back so many happy memories, plus so many things we'd missed on the day.

There are so many of them too!! It's amazing to have hard copies to look at (again and again!)."

At the end of the day, I advertise and provide a product. I sell what I want to sell and if people buy it then great. I don't have to be the photographer for everyone.

IMG_4373.JPG

As someone who worked in a photographic lab for over ten years printing weddings I think it's great that film is seen as a benchmark for quality.

Wow, quite the response! Firstly, forgive me for not quoting everyone directly, there are just too many for me to do this time, however I will try to address some of the points if I may? (potential long reply coming)

Firstly, thank you for the kind words on the images. It is very much appreciated. I definitely wouldn't use the word 'brave' for shooting weddings on film. The main disadvantage is not being able to review as you go but that is also a blessing in a lot of respects. Firstly, I took a lot less images than I do digitally and had a much higher keeper percentage.

I shot the entire day on a combination of Contax 645 with 80mm F2.0, Nikon F100 with 35mm F1.4 and Leica M2 with 50mm F2.0.

Film stocks were Kodak Portra 400 and 800 for the colour (a single roll of Fuji 400H in 35mm) with Ilford HP5 and Ilford Delta 3200 for the B&W, a mix of 120 and 35mm for all of them. I shot a total of I think 35 rolls. It was 625 frames anyway, delivering a final number of 377.

I did almost zero PP to the images in regard of colour etc, I work with a great lab (Canadian Film Lab) who take care of all that. I did have to rotate a lot of images though as I don't seem to be able to hold a camera straight for the life of me!

Firstly, I take the first part as a compliment so thank you for that. The second part I shall address under the next quote as I feel they are the same point......

So personally, I LOVE film. The look, the feel, the way it makes me shoot. Why convert to digital? Unfortunately it seems that is something that's a necessary evil, not only for delivering to clients so they can view and share their images socially, but for marketing as a photographer. What would I put on the website otherwise or use to get work? I refuse to do a full digital package though. A lot of photographers now are providing their final product in the form of a download link. I will never do that. Now this isn't a dig at those who do it, not at all as it's whatever works for people but I constantly see (or I did when I was in a certain FB group) people asking for ways to do it cheaper, cheaper. Get rid of boxes and USB and go download only. My thought are, if my customers are paying in excess of £1,000 (even when I shoot digitally), I want them to have something to hold and feel and see. This is something I talk about in my promo video.

As I said, with my film wedding (and hopefully more in the future) I also provide a full set of 6x4 and 6x4.5 proofs. The clients in this instance loved receiving that. In fact, here is what the bride said....

"We got home last night to your beautiful box full of the most wonderful photos! I honestly can't thank you enough - we are thrilled with them and they brought back so many happy memories, plus so many things we'd missed on the day.

There are so many of them too!! It's amazing to have hard copies to look at (again and again!)."

At the end of the day, I advertise and provide a product. I sell what I want to sell and if people buy it then great. I don't have to be the photographer for everyone.

View attachment 109499

And that boys and girls is why we shoot fillums. Top marks Gareth for style and presentation :D:film:

Excellent results there Gareth and I understand where you're coming from with the feel for you as the photographer to shoot analogue. I've always shot my weddings digitally (with some film included) and I guess the digital shooters could supply the same proof prints/USB so, as a usp, have you considered shooting slide and delivering a subset of actual slides as a truly unique output?

I shot some outdoor portraits for a client on slide a while back and they loved receiving the actual slides mounted into an led lightbox frame (one of my other projects that I need to come back to!).

14762682163_6eeb4ca2e4_o.jpg

Well said. I wish I could like your post more than once. (y)

Personally, I shoot film because then I can blame dodgy exposures and badly framed or focused images on processor error. Unfortunately I also develop and scan my own films.

Ah, the days when our customers used to bring their films in on Monday after sweating that something had gone wrong with camera/ weather/ family arguments during their wedding shoots. All turned out OK though!

A great set of photos and I take my hat off to anybody who shoots weddings, be it digital or film! Nerves of steel.

And that boys and girls is why we shoot fillums. Top marks Gareth for style and presentation :D:film:

Thank you, Andy.

Excellent results there Gareth and I understand where you're coming from with the feel for you as the photographer to shoot analogue. I've always shot my weddings digitally (with some film included) and I guess the digital shooters could supply the same proof prints/USB so, as a usp, have you considered shooting slide and delivering a subset of actual slides as a truly unique output?

Thanks for the idea, Steve. I will have a think about that for the future but can't see it being something I do. Not sure why though as the results are ace. I do love slides myself.

I love those boxes and the presentation, Gareth. Gorgeous!

Thank you. :)

Well said. I wish I could like your post more than once. (y)

Personally, I shoot film because then I can blame dodgy exposures and badly framed or focused images on processor error. Unfortunately I also develop and scan my own films.

Thank you. :)

These are lovely photographs Gareth, I'd be chuffed to bits if they were mine (both as a photographer AND a customer).

Appreciated. Thank you. :)

A great set of photos and I take my hat off to anybody who shoots weddings, be it digital or film! Nerves of steel.

Not sure it's that nerve wracking (I lie, the wait for the rolls was horrendous)

Awesome. Well done to you for doing it and well done to your clients for having faith.

I'm not sure I'd want to use transparency material for a wedding: the contrast issue of a white dress & dark suit would make losing detail in one or other almost a certainty, and even with print film it can be a challenge to keep everything in usable range without hand printing and dodging & burning.

I'm not sure I'd want to use transparency material for a wedding: the contrast issue of a white dress & dark suit would make losing detail in one or other almost a certainty, and even with print film it can be a challenge to keep everything in usable range without hand printing and dodging & burning.

That's one of the benefits of a hybrid film+digital workflow, a good neg scan will allow you to expose for the dark suit and still have tons of headroom for the white dress without the need to dodge and burn on paper. Definitely agree on the transparency though.

That's one of the benefits of a hybrid film+digital workflow, a good neg scan will allow you to expose for the dark suit and still have tons of headroom for the white dress without the need to dodge and burn on paper. Definitely agree on the transparency though.

My greatest 'challenge' was shooting a wedding where the Nigerian bride, recently arrived and very dark-skinned, wore a bright white dress. I was using whatever film Fuji made in 160asa with a lower contrast for professional portrait work in the late 80's, and it wasn't possible to hold detail in both skin and dress on the conventional enprints I used for proofs. I ended up hand printing every shot in their album just to get an acceptable result, and the customer was darn picky about it.

Nice :) and you gotta love UKFL ;) for their lovely scans :)
We shot film from time to time on weddings as well but not the whole wedding:) maybe 3-5 rolls of 120mm. But again it depends on the couple if they want film.

Hopefully you will get more film bookings and can share results with us :)

@gazmorton2000 ; Well done and well said. Top results and good on you for sticking to your principles.

Dave

You really do have a way of rubbing people up the wrong way, don't you? For someone who is so clearly glad to see the back of it, you sure do show up here a lot. Perhaps if you checked the smarmy attitude and giant shoulder chip at the door, and asked your questions in a way that didn't come across as condescending and belittling, you'd perhaps get a warmer welcome. I sure do hope you don't talk to your clients like that in any case.

So personally, I LOVE film. The look, the feel, the way it makes me shoot.

Oh, and my first bit was a compliment :)

Re this, film is a very tactile experience and that aspect of it is really the only thing I miss about digital - unloading an SD card just hasn't got that magic bit to it that you get from winding your used film back into the cassette, so I get that; your comment about how it makes you shoot I still find intriguing as that's something I don't miss

I want them to have something to hold and feel and see.

And this is defo something I agree with, although I do sell a lot of digi only work I have a pitch all about how future kids, grandkids won't really have anything to look back on in the same way we do and what a shame that will be; it ocnverts a few to an album too but while there is profit obviously I really believe they've 'lost' something if there's no physical representation of their Wedding

Love the boxes too btw :)

Dave

@gazmorton2000 ; Well done and well said. Top results and good on you for sticking to your principles.

You really do have a way of rubbing people up the wrong way, don't you? For someone who is so clearly glad to see the back of it, you sure do show up here a lot. Perhaps if you checked the smarmy attitude and giant shoulder chip at the door, and asked your questions in a way that didn't come across as condescending and belittling, you'd perhaps get a warmer welcome. I sure do hope you don't talk to your clients like that in any case.

Hmmm

Dave

Back