My first ever Aurora Borealis shots :)

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken just outside Reykjavík, Iceland today :)

Aurora_Borealis1.jpg

Aurora_Borealis2.jpg

Lovely captures Ian. the second one for me. I really want to get to see the aurora myself.

Wow! Love to see one of these! Great shots! #2 for me too!

Whilst I am incredibly jealous that you have seen it....I must say the pictures don't really do anything for me :(

Wow! Indeed...

Really good shots, lovely colours.

We get the aurora up here too, most of the times I`ve seen it it`s been spectacular but often just white.

There have been times when it`s been that gorgeous green too though, and flashes of green/blue.

Fanatstic how it just dances across the sky.

Great pics. (y)

Whilst I am incredibly jealous that you have seen it....I must say the pictures don't really do anything for me :(

Actually i think i know what you mean, the foreground needs to be seen, or at least identifiable, if i get chance tomorrow night im going to try flash at the beginning or end (first or second curtain sync) of the exposure to see if it will light the foreground enough but still show the aurora ! I havent really got a clue what im doing lol im just guessing so ill probably mess it all up ;)

Actually i think i know what you mean, the foreground needs to be seen, or at least identifiable, if i get chance tomorrow night im going to try flash at the beginning or end (first or second curtain sync) of the exposure to see if it will light the foreground enough but still show the aurora !

Exactly what I had in mind :) As it's a long exposure, just use your flash off camera and press the test button and 'paint' the scenery!

The 3rd post is great...the extra contrast makes the light stand out much better! :)

Wow! Indeed...

Really good shots, lovely colours.

We get the aurora up here too, most of the times I`ve seen it it`s been spectacular but often just white.

There have been times when it`s been that gorgeous green too though, and flashes of green/blue.

Fanatstic how it just dances across the sky.

Great pics. (y)

Cool (y) I'm glad you found them Ian (y)

All I can see is about 20 hot pixels and some chronic lens flare :shrug:

Bob

Actually i think i know what you mean, the foreground needs to be seen, or at least identifiable, if i get chance tomorrow night im going to try flash at the beginning or end (first or second curtain sync) of the exposure to see if it will light the foreground enough but still show the aurora ! I havent really got a clue what im doing lol im just guessing so ill probably mess it all up ;)

F8, ISO 400, 10 minutes exposure for the foreground. Then bracket for the sky and merge :D

Unless its so dark that 10 min wont cut it?

All I can see is about 20 hot pixels and some chronic lens flare :shrug:

Bob

:agree: I don't see anything special there.

>>insert arms folded, not really in a huff smilie here<< Not jealous at all :shake:

But seriously, I'm looking forward to your next lot, that will show some foreground detail :D :clap:

Very good start - look forward to seeing more.

You could ps a model of the Enterprise in the foreground heading towards it :) But that aside you lucky chap getting up close to see them :)

I'll make no bones about it, I'm jealous, very jealous. I'd be very pleased to get a shot anywhere half as good as that.
If I ever get the opportunity to do the same thing, I wonder if it is worth bringing one of those powerful 5 mega candle torch with me and use that to "light paint" the foreground while the northern lights is being photographed?

F8, ISO 400, 10 minutes exposure for the foreground. Then bracket for the sky and merge :D

Unless its so dark that 10 min wont cut it?

Longer than 30 seconds and it washes the detail out apparently Gary. Also the stars would be moving lol its totally pitch black as well, no light at all where this was taken. I can up the levels and see foreground but the noise is unbearable lol

Great shots, I'm going to Kuusamo on the 19th Dec, I hope the lights are active then.
Kevin :)

Longer than 30 seconds and it washes the detail out apparently Gary. Also the stars would be moving lol its totally pitch black as well, no light at all where this was taken. I can up the levels and see foreground but the noise is unbearable lol

Oh sorry, I mean for just the foreground detail. SO you would keep your sky as is, like above, but then take a second exposure for foreground and ignore the sky more or less. Then exposure blend.

Fantastic, great effort.

Did you have any problems with the cold (apart from your fingers!) ?

Nah, I've rumbled you Mr Cook :nono:

That's a long exposure panning shot of a Kingfisher in flight taken at night ;)

Ah right i see. I might give that a go, its 9:43 here and still dark lol wonder what time the sun comes up ? lol

Its a very effective technique, however, you do need *some light*, the best I find is a full moon, as it literally splashes real sunlight into the foreground, with enough exposure time, you will have all the colours of daylight :D

THen you have that insanely lovely sky. Win win.

The lights are also moving - you would get just a green mass with no detail.

I'm sure you have already researched settings - this is an article I referred to:

http://www.royhooper.ca/articles/aurora.html

Thanks for that, i did have a good look through several sites, all said more or less the same, biggest aperture you can, iso 400, 20-30 second exposures, and check the histogram. Its the first time i have used cable release in anger lol and was a bit of a learning experience, i am also not great at landscape shots generally, as i either dont have the eye for them, or the talent one or both really lol

Thanks all for he comments, and LOL re Paul and he Kingfisher at night !

What about your camera batteries Ian ? No issues there ? I know mine don't last as long when I've been out Astro imaging in the cold.

Nah, I've rumbled you Mr Cook :nono:

That's a long exposure panning shot of a Kingfisher in flight taken at night ;)

I see now, and imbalance of having the 17-40 on instead of the 600+1.4 has forced him to shoot high. By the way Ian, how did you get the 600 off.

Nice shots Ian, (y)

What a great sight!

Ian,

How long do the lights last for? (How long have you got to mess about?)

How far away is that foreground?

Does AV hack it for the lights exposure or are you setting the time manually?

Brilliant Ian,congrats........(y)

Been in the circle a few times and never seen it, so I am jealous as hell..........:LOL:

What about your camera batteries Ian ? No issues there ? I know mine don't last as long when I've been out Astro imaging in the cold.

Was using the 1d Mk3 and the battery level didnt move, it still looks fuly charged. Was only outside for 90 minutes tops though.

very nice Ian your lucky to see such an amazing sight (y)

I see now, and imbalance of having the 17-40 on instead of the 600+1.4 has forced him to shoot high. By the way Ian, how did you get the 600 off.

Nice shots Ian, (y)

A big hammer and chisel got the 600 off mate :)

What a great sight!

Ian,

How long do the lights last for? (How long have you got to mess about?)

How far away is that foreground?

Does AV hack it for the lights exposure or are you setting the time manually?

CT, the lights were there for about an hour or so, but were coming and going and not as obvious by eye as they are in the pictures, even in total darkness they arent quite as obvious as you may think.

Foreground varies from inches to about 3 miles lol so a flash wont light it all ;)

I was in bulb mode for these pics, using the Canon cable release with the timer on (think you have that one too) so was full manual not AV or TV.

Wow cool.

Brilliant Ian,congrats........(y)

Been in the circle a few times and never seen it, so I am jealous as hell..........:LOL:

Thanks guys :) im going again tonight weather permitting so hopefully will try some of these bits of advice and see what happens :)

check flickr for examples, and your average exposure is 40 secs. Keeps the lights looking good, but brings out detail in the landscape.
I'm extremely jealious!!!

Back