My first milky way photo

Name
Mark Ross
Edit My Images
No
It has been my ambition to get a good photo of the milky way for a long time now. I happened to be in Ibiza a few weeks ago and noticed the skies were really dark and clear. The moon wasn't even rising above the horizon and the milky way was faintly visible to the naked eye. It was then that I realised with some excitement that the milky way should appear right next to Es Vedra, an island in the south and one of the most photographed parts of Ibiza. So I set out just after sunset and made my way up to the cliff with the best view of the island. I spent about 90 mins capturing this shot, trying different compositions and exposures. The end result was produced from 2 exposures at 16mm. The sky is a 30s exposure (just short enough to prevent star trails), and the land and sea were exposed for 4 mins. Both were at ISO 3200 and f2.8. I used a Canon 6D and 16-35mm f2.8 lens on a 3 Legged Thing Brian tripod. Post processing in Lightroom and Photoshop. I was pretty happy with the result:

View attachment 24869

Wow! I love it. Es vedra is a great place, but I've never seen it photographed like that before. Well done.

Superb shot very well thought out and conceived, and very nicely processed.

Yeah lovely capture, love the composition and the colours.

Hi Mark,
That is a superb shot even if you had been doing this sort of thing for a few years ( which you haven't !) - can I suggest you think about entering the Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2015 competition early in 2015 - I think you have a great deal to contribute to this world wide competition.
Cheers
James

James Woodend APOTY 2014 ( overall winner).

Thanks for the kind words, particularly @jbw - hadn't even considered entering in the APOTY competition, but will definitely give it a go now!

That is a superb image, well done and thanks for sharing your info.

That is awesome, I love it.

Back