My journey into the world of film...

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I bought my first serious digital camera four years ago and then decided to try film about 18 months ago. I bought and had developed several films and have really enjoyed this aspect of photography. I love the "film look" that you get.

Anyway when I built my studio I decided to include a dark room and to try developing film myself. I have managed to acquire 2 entire dark rooms full of kit and have asked for advice on here.

Well today is the day......

I am just waiting for a combined price for the following shopping list:

1 X 5L BOX OF ILFORD ID11 FILM DEVELOPER

1 X Box ILFORD BROMOPHEN BLACK AND WHITE PAPER DEVELOPER.

1 X BOTTLE OF ILFORD ILFOSTOP STOPBATH

1 X BOTTLE OF ILFORD RAPID FIXER

6 X Ilford films to try: PAN F 50 ASA/ISO, FP4+ 125 ASA/ISO, HP5+ 400 ASA/ISO, DELTA 100, DELTA 400 & DELTA 3200

Do I need wetting agent? I was going to use a couple of drops of fairy liquid or should I add a bottle.

Anyway when the stuff arrives I will be able to try my dark room for the first time.

I have a load of those squeezy bottles some of which contain chemicals but I think I need to empty them all, clean them out and start again. Will get all the stuff out and look through it all over the weekend so that I can work out what is what......

OOOO its exciting.

I will also be trying out loading the film developer canister over the weekend. Might make this thread a sort of blog. "Total newbie goes film"

Nice to see another photographer experimenting with film - it's such a fun, rewarding medium (y)

What sort of kit have you got in the dark room - is it just for developing or are you going to give printing a go too?

Couple drops of washing up liquid is all you need for wetting agent, though a 1 litre bottle of Ilford wetting agent has lasted me around 2 years, so very good value. Please don't use a squeegee on your film before hanging up to dry (scratches) - just pull the film through your index and middle fingers once or twice to get most of the liquid off and the hang in a dust free cupboard or shower cubicle for 2-3 hours.

Last edited:
I have two enlargers as I got two full dark room kits !

I have several easels, timers, dozens of trays, about 4 or 5 film developing pots, squeegies for film and paper, spare bulbs etc, two safe lights, 2 sets of ilford multigrade filters, lots of chemical bottles, grain finder thing, 2 unopened sets of paint for touching up negs with the brushes, buckets and all manner of other things, some of which I have NO IDEA what they are!

Once I have worked out what I am doing I have promised the spare stuff to a school in the NE as one of the teachers is starting a photography club (on here!)

I have a microwave cooker box full of paper too. All manner of vintage papers and 2 x rolls of 4 inch wide paper which from memory were 240 yards long for the ultimate panos :LOL:

Right thats it no turning back now just ordered:

1 X 5L BOX OF ILFORD ID11 FILM DEVELOPER
1 X BOTTLE OF ILFORD ILFOSTOP STOPBATH
1 X BOTTLE OF ILFORD RAPID FIXER
1 X ILFORD BROMOPHEN BLACK AND WHITE PAPER DEVELOP
1 X PAN F 50 ASA/ISO
1 X FP4+ 125 ASA/ISO
1 X HP5+ 400 ASA/ISO
1 X DELTA 400
1 X DELTA 3200
3 X DELTA 100

For £78.45 inc postage

Will sort all the rest of the stuff out on Saturday/Sunday.

I still have half a dozen Kodak BW400cn C41 process B&W films though.......

To counter Mike's suggestion about fingers I'd recommend a squeegee but only a new one and before you use it soak it in warm mater to soften the rubber blades. I've tried the finger method and can't apply even pressure across a 120 frame which then leaves streaks down it. Squeegees are fine if you're careful.

I'm looking forward to follow your "blog" on here as I'm a few steps behind you. I finished my first roll of film today, and can't wait to get it back some time next week.

I did try developing film about 8 years ago, but found that doing so in my bathroom was a lot of hassle as it took too long to establish a DARK room before actually doing any processing/printing. It was only last year that I gave my developing kit to the art dept at school as they had a dark room, but the kit was knackerd. Given that I've started dabbling with film again, I might just pop into the darkroom when we're back next week to see what the setup is like....

I'm looking forward to follow your "blog" on here as I'm a few steps behind you. I finished my first roll of film today, and can't wait to get it back some time next week.

I did try developing film about 8 years ago, but found that doing so in my bathroom was a lot of hassle as it took too long to establish a DARK room before actually doing any processing/printing. It was only last year that I gave my developing kit to the art dept at school as they had a dark room, but the kit was knackerd. Given that I've started dabbling with film again, I might just pop into the darkroom when we're back next week to see what the setup is like....

I might have a spare enlarger if you cover the postage but I'll let you know.

Woohoo....

Look what arrived this morning (y)

Film in the fridge but I need a bigger box it only just fit :D

Will practice taking film from cannisters and putting in film developer thing tonight and will load a Delta 100 into my F80.

drstuff1.jpg

One bit of advice - make up the ID-11 as stock solution the day before you want to process your first film - to get the powders to dissolve, you'll need pretty hot water, and it takes an absolute age waiting for the 40c stock solution to come down to 20c when you're sat with the tank loaded with film and everything else in the sink tempering :LOL:

On a more serious note, it'll also allow any last crystals of dev. to dissolve, meaning you're stock solution will be a bit more accurate!

and here's a running start on your times for ID-11 and Delta 100 ;) (i'd stick with standard processing - no push or pull, and 1+3 one shot developing as a first try...)

Last edited:
I'd start with the FP4 or HP5 tbh as they are more lenient than the delta films at both the taking and developing stages :)

Cheers, I will get all the stuff out tomorrow and catalogue it all taking photos and emptying/washing out all the chemical bottles etc. Then I will mix up the stock chemicals from powder as advised which will be a few days before I need them. I will use my first film tomorrow if I get chance and work from there.

Well I've fallen at the first hurdle!

None of the bottle openers I have will pop the lids of Kodak Gold film canisters. I did have a Homer Simpson one which looked ideal but the pointed bit that goes under the lid to prise it off is not sharp enough and just slips over the lid. Looked on ebay for one and ended up buying a product photography table, a rubber eyepiece for the D700 and 3 rubber eyepieces for the D300/D200 etc that look like the D700 ones!!! Someone keep me away from the place.

Anyway I am off out now and will take an old film canister with me and see if I can find one at Sainsburys . If not its back to the drawing board. I am going through the several boxes of darkroom kit I have got later when Helen goes out and will no doubt find one! Will also flush out all the chemical bottles ready for new chemicals and mix them in advance.

I don't have any films to develop yet other than one of Helens that has been sitting around for 4 years but she wants to do that one. Oh well being on nights this week isn't going to help.........

Well I'm home and I have unpacked all the boxes of stuff....

darkroom01.jpg

3 x patterson 2x35mm dev tanks
2 x patterson 3x35mm dev tanks
safe light
film winder
28 x refillable film canisters
measuring cylinders, jug & funnels
Patterson colour retouching set (new)
Patterson B&W retouching set (new)
retouching easel (new)
Ilford EM10 exposure monitor EDIT: Just found it here <LINK>
Grain finder ??????
thermometer

darkroom02.jpg

2 x Easels (just had the bottom one re-sprayed)
2 x paper squeegees
1 x film squeegees
tongs
2 x thermometers
film and paper clips
bulbs for the safe light and B&W enlarger
5 x refillable film canisters
device in top corner ?????????
rubber tube thing ??????
Jessops B&W variable contrast filter set ????
Ilford multigrade filters set of 12 (new)
air duster
timer
Ilford exposure calculator
Lens for the colour enlarger
49mm star filter :LOL:

darkroom03.jpg

17 x assorted trays
funnel and stirrers
Changing bag
14 x chemical pots

Chemicals:
> Barclay Sepia Toner
> SLT20 Selenium toner
> LD20 Lith Developer
> Ilford IN1 stop bath
> Ilford Wetting agent

darkroom04.jpg

Axomat 5 standard B&W 35mm enlarger
Aico 35 colour SL enlarger
+ 3 metal plates that seemed to be with this enlarger
Baeuerte timer
Philips double timer

Then there is a very large box full of literally dozens of types and sizes of paper and 2 rolls which are 4" wide and 240 yards long.

Together with the films and Ilford chemicals I bought over the weekend and I do have some bulk film too.....

Unfortunately no canister openers but will attack the Homer Simpson bottle opener with my dremel later and make it into a film canister opener.......

So all set, I need to use a film first although I could try doing some prints from my existing black and white negatives.

There are a few question marks up there still :LOL:

Last edited:
Can I just say one thing??

WOW!

Oh - easiest way i've found of opening film canisters was to use the can opener bit from my swiss army knife, and sort of hook it in the corner, under the felt lined slot,and just use brute strength and ignorance. Back in the day, they seemed less tightly sealed, and you could actually pop the end cap off by holding the film canister with the sticky-out-end downwards, and whacking it on the bench. This trick doesn't seem to work as well any more though. Other trick is to use the dymo-tape film-fish and pull the leader out, then just load it from there...

device in top corner ????????? - looks like a focus-finder (bit like a dedicated microscope for ensuring properly focused images from the enlarger...)

rubber tube thing ?????? - it's a film washer - goes on tap at one end, and feeds into the dev tank, for rinsing film after fixing.

Can I just say one thing??

WOW!

I know, its like someone who has only used the camera on a mobile phone being given a D3x with an assortment of lenses. I have never developed a film OR prints yet so this is ALL new to me! I seem to think that I have everything that I need.

Other trick is to use the dymo-tape film-fish and pull the leader out, then just load it from there...

Yes I've heard that one and I think that I might well use that trick instead of ripping the can to bits. Seems easier to get the leader back out, cut it off flat and feed it into the neg holder then work from there. Will give it a practice run as I have been given 4 rolls of Kodak 400 gold film that is out of date. I was also given a roll of Ektar 25 that was out of date but used that and was really happy with the result.

device in top corner ????????? - looks like a focus-finder (bit like a dedicated microscope for ensuring properly focused images from the enlarger...)

Is that like the Patterson grain finder in the first picture?

rubber tube thing ?????? - it's a film washer - goes on tap at one end, and feeds into the dev tank, for rinsing film after fixing.

Ah yes cheers.

I don't know what I am going to do with 30 odd refillable film canisters :)

Any of you lot need any?

Yes I've heard that one and I think that I might well use that trick instead of ripping the can to bits. Seems easier to get the leader back out, cut it off flat and feed it into the neg holder then work from there. Will give it a practice run as I have been given 4 rolls of Kodak 400 gold film that is out of date. I was also given a roll of Ektar 25 that was out of date but used that and was really happy with the result.

In future, don't wind the film in all the way - posh modern cameras have custom settings to leave the leader out, old fashioned ones, you listen at the back of the camera to hear the fillm leaving the winder spool but not back into the can :)

Cut the film off but round the edges as well - a bit like this...

Film leader cut off by The Big Yin, on Flickr

stops the film hanging in the spiral...

Is that like the Patterson grain finder in the first picture?

I think so, yep

It'd be rather cool to get a shot, develop, print and scan it today, then submit it for the "one day in TP" thread... :)

Hmmm - now that's an idea... I've been struggling for inspiration for this, as I couldn't get away into the hills for a shoot today :(

Last edited:
It'd be rather cool to get a shot, develop, print and scan it today, then submit it for the "one day in TP" thread... :)

Hmmm - now that's an idea...

It might be cool but without someone else's help who knows what they are doing I wouldn't sort it in a day :eek:

I am really going to have to do this step by step. Use a film then develop the negs. I THINK I am happy with what to do there.

Then look at the two enlargers and work out what on earth I actually do with the timers and how long things take etc, remember I haven't got a clue!! I have been told about zooming the head in and out to get the size then focusing it. I know that I need to install one of the filters from the Ilford multigrade box into the enlarger somewhere. Then I use the safe light and put a piece of paper on the easel under the enlarger.

BUT it's all a bit woolly and I haven't a clue about timings or how to use the timer etc yet.......

That's an awesome collection of kit, it looks like you have enough for three darkrooms there.
As TBY says the microscope things are for fine focussing when making prints, the Jessops B&W variable contrast filter set I assume is there propritry version of the Ilford Multi-grade system, just refer to the Ilford book I sent you they should be roughly the same.

And just remember to make sure the spirals are completely dry when you load them with film otherwise than can be a complete pig to load.

Good luck.

Oh and I have several books as well which I will be reading over the next few days. I am on nights this week so I haven't even got the full evening.

That's an awesome collection of kit, it looks like you have enough for three darkrooms there.
As TBY says the microscope things are for fine focussing when making prints, the Jessops B&W variable contrast filter set I assume is there propritry version of the Ilford Multi-grade system, just refer to the Ilford book I sent you they should be roughly the same.

And just remember to make sure the spirals are completely dry when you load them with film otherwise than can be a complete pig to load.

Good luck.

Thanks, you posted this just as I posted saying I need to read the books I was sent (y)

I have just picked the book you sent up and I am reading it :)

I still have half a dozen Kodak BW400cn C41 process B&W films though.......

Would you be interested in parting with these?

It looks like an amazing set-up you're going to have there once you've got it all up and running!

Would you be interested in parting with these?

It looks like an amazing set-up you're going to have there once you've got it all up and running!

To be honest they only cost me about £2.40 each as I got them from 7dayshop whilst on special offer. I will probably just keep them for the moment as they are doing no harm sat in the fridge.

Well just fitted a new battery in the Ilford EM10 and it works (y)

I have read the instructions and it sounds like a useful bit of kit.

Well I mixed up my stock solution of ID-11 earlier and mixed a 1+3 solution ready for processing.

Just successfully removed the film from a cassette (of throw away stuff) and successfully got it onto a spool in the changing bag :banana:

I know that this is all childs play for those using film for years but I am really quite chuffed....

So I should be able to get one of my films into a developer tub reasonably easily....

Then to add the 1+3 developer 325cc and then agitate it etc. Need to get it to the 20 degree temp too and check the timing....

Done it, I have developed my first EVER film. It is currently hanging up by a film clip from the shelf in the on suite bathroom and I can see pictures on it...

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Thank you everyone for your help and encouragement over the past month or two whilst I have been getting the stuff together and asking advice. My second film is currently in another development tank as I read up on whether I re-use the stop and fixer chemicals.......

Helen has a film to develop too and will probably do that tomorrow. We will both be doing some wet prints on Thursday / Friday.

I am sooooooo chuffed.

Way to go - cue warm cuddly feeling!

Way to go - cue warm cuddly feeling!

I have a warm cuddly feeling, second film came out too. Shame I can't share them yet but they are both hanging up and I don't have a film scanner :)

You are now an alchemist! Seriously, have an objective look at your negs. Are the edge numbers a good black (not grey) without bleeding or becoming fuzzy? If so your development is right. Do the images have a range of blacks, clears and greys? If so your exposure is right.

If either are off tweak your settings or timings next time. It's better to get into good habits now so achieving good results becomes automatic.

You are now an alchemist! Seriously, have an objective look at your negs. Are the edge numbers a good black (not grey) without bleeding or becoming fuzzy? If so your development is right. Do the images have a range of blacks, clears and greys? If so your exposure is right.

If either are off tweak your settings or timings next time. It's better to get into good habits now so achieving good results becomes automatic.

Bizarrely the writing along the edge is black and crisp plus the negs have a good range too (y) It would appear that they have come out right.

I used two rolls of Ilford Delta 100 pro film which I ran through the Nikon F80 with the AFS 24-70 f2.8 on it. Developed in standard Ilford chemicals inc ID-11 which was mixed 1+3 with a temp of 23C they took 17.5 minutes each!! I would have done them together but I thought that if something goes wrong then at least I only loose one film at a time....

Nice one! I'm a fan of ID-11 for medium speed films, it has a good balance of characteristics.

Nice one! I'm a fan of ID-11 for medium speed films, it has a good balance of characteristics.

I only have the ID-11 so haven't tried any others. I also have only actually tried the one film type which is the Delta 100. I have all 6 Ilform films left to try as I bought 3 of the Delta 100s plus the 400 and 3200 plus the other three too as a package deal.

Looking forwards to the paper bit too :D

Well - the good news is that Delta 100 is normally a bit more sensitive to getting things right than FP4+ / HP5+ so it looks like your on the right track :woot::woot::woot:

Back