My journey into the world of film...

Cheers everyone, I am so pleased that it has come out like it did. It is such a shame that I haven't got a neg scanner!

Just gives you more of a push to do the wet print (y)

I know. We are going to develop Helen's film, that she has had for several years in the fridge, tomorrow evening then we can both do some wet prints on Thursday/Friday

Cheers everyone, I am so pleased that it has come out like it did. It is such a shame that I haven't got a neg scanner!

Indeed and I've just found out that my tv/DVD player shows jpg shots in continuous mode...mind you it's either my lenses, magnification or the TV, is the reason they are not sharp.

Indeed and I've just found out that my tv/DVD player shows jpg shots in continuous mode...mind you it's either my lenses, magnification or the TV, is the reason they are not sharp.

If it's anything like mine, it's the algorithm that the dvd player uses to resize the images on the fly down to 720x576px... they look godawful, oversharpened and shimmery. If I resize specifically, they look fine though :shrug:

Just realised I don't have any negative pockets..... Looked on ebay and are they having a laugh or what. Where can I get some at a proper price?

Lovely smooth grained Black and White - getting to be my favourite smooth film at the moment. :)

I bought mine from 7dayshop

I like the clear acetate ones!

A word of warning, and it may not be gospel but someone on here a while ago said that the material on these was PVC (PolyVinylChloride) and the chloride element was not good for the longevity of the negatives, for that reason I use the paper type negative holders.

A word of warning, and it may not be gospel but someone on here a while ago said that the material on these was PVC (PolyVinylChloride) and the chloride element was not good for the longevity of the negatives, for that reason I use the paper type negative holders.

erm well I can confirm my negs have lasted in good quality paper ones for at least 40 years (y)

Interesting Kev, I've just sent a email to Kenro regarding this, so hopefully they'll get back to me eventually with an answer on this. It's not as if my stuffs so wonderful it'll be a loss to all humanity if it dissolves to soup anyway, but i'd like it to last as long as I do :shrug: When I'm gone, whoever clears the house out will only toss everything in the skip anyway.

Edit:

Reply is in...
Kenro Tech Support said:
Mark,

Our products are manufactured with a material that is free from acid and chlorine and is suitable for long term storage.

Regards, Claire Goddard
Kenro Ltd.

I'll probably get paper ones next time, when I run out - just in case, but I'll not be trashing the one's i've got already.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff TBY, thanks for mailing them. Perhaps the person whose post I referred to was thinking of a material from way back when and the manufacturer didn't know the effect the material would have.

Thanks, thats more like it. Just ordered 2 x 25 packs and a Fuji Neopan ACROS 100 - 135-36 film just to give it a try......

Darren,

Great to see the progress you're making - hope the prints come out OK.

Reading this prompted me to look at any left overs I may still have. I found a packet of Jessops paper pockets. It's opened and rather old but you are welcome to them.

I'm off to Devon for a few weeks and when I get back I'm off on the Yorkshire Dales TP meet. After that I'll see about getting them to you. There just gathering dust at the moment.

Ken

Darren,

Great to see the progress you're making - hope the prints come out OK.

Reading this prompted me to look at any left overs I may still have. I found a packet of Jessops paper pockets. It's opened and rather old but you are welcome to them.

I'm off to Devon for a few weeks and when I get back I'm off on the Yorkshire Dales TP meet. After that I'll see about getting them to you. There just gathering dust at the moment.

Ken

Thats very good of you thanks a lot.

I have had things to do so not managed to get the prints done yet buy hoping to mix the chemicals later and will do my first ones in the next few days. I was hoping to get at least one done in first for the film competition but don't think I will manage it now.

Darren

I wish I could go back to B/W dev and printing just to join in the fun, have all the gear and darkroom even took some B/W shots...but all the enthusiasm has just gone. :(

I wish I could go back to B/W dev and printing just to join in the fun, have all the gear and darkroom even took some B/W shots...but all the enthusiasm has just gone. :(

Exactly the opposite here, since biting the bullet and getting all the stuff it has given my photography a whole new direction.

I was saving for an AFS 70-200mm f2.8 vr2 but that same amount of money will buy me a Nikon F6 + Epson V750 scanner + possible a MF & Colour enlarger ready for my entry into MF land. I have decided that there is a Hassleblad somewhere with MY name on it :)

Exactly the opposite here, since biting the bullet and getting all the stuff it has given my photography a whole new direction.

I was saving for an AFS 70-200mm f2.8 vr2 but that same amount of money will buy me a Nikon F6 + Epson V750 scanner + possible a MF & Colour enlarger ready for my entry into MF land. I have decided that there is a Hassleblad somewhere with MY name on it :)

erm well I only buy gear that is cheap as I'm concerned how film is being squeezed from two ends...places not bothering with film and digital cameras getting better, and no research and development for new films esp for dim light where digital is forging ahead.

erm well I only buy gear that is cheap as I'm concerned how film is being squeezed from two ends...places not bothering with film and digital cameras getting better, and no research and development for new films esp for dim light where digital is forging ahead.

I know what you mean, thats why I'm after a Nikon F6 :LOL:

Seriously it does concern me the possibility that film will disappear but I just really enjoy using the stuff

I don't believe that it's going anywhere ! ;)

Don't understand why the film corps don't promote the archival benefits of film...there's going to be a time bomb in the future for joe public who used cheap printing paper, cheap CD's and hard drives seizing up.

And film is more fun. The anticipation of opening up that can to see your pictures.

Is there a viewer for viewing negatives prior to printing? I have something like that for slides but I can't use that as it only takes mounted slides.

And film is more fun. The anticipation of opening up that can to see your pictures.

Is there a viewer for viewing negatives prior to printing? I have something like that for slides but I can't use that as it only takes mounted slides.

yeah ! it's more magical, more patient, rewarding etc, etc, etc :love:
went into the shop saw my 120format hanging and drying , they said it's going to be ready after 30min. unfortunatelly I now have to wait till 5 to go there, but I saw that all the shots are well exposed and the smell of film .. oh ! lovely ! :)

If you're thinking of going MF or larger at some point, Darren, I'd recommend getting a proper Lightbox. Doesn't have to be Mahoosive, but I'd get one that can take a full page of the 35mm negs with a bit of space to spare. Say something like this...

yeah ! it's more magical, more patient, rewarding etc, etc, etc :love:
went into the shop saw my 120format hanging and drying , they said it's going to be ready after 30min. unfortunatelly I now have to wait till 5 to go there, but I saw that all the shots are well exposed and the smell of film .. oh ! lovely ! :)

I want to do it all myself too. I am now looking for a MF enlarger that will handle colour too. I have even located a supplier of chemistry equipment to get some conical flasks which I can stick through the dishwasher. I have decided that I am using the changing bag for the film changes and using the bathroom for prints rather than the studio (despite making it light tight!). I am putting a board on half the bath and using the bath as a constant temp water bath.

Very addictive :)

Can I just ask everyone... The enlargers have a european plug on them which goes into the timer box thing. Are these timer boxes universal?

I can pass these two normal 35mm enlargers on to other TPers then

If you're thinking of going MF or larger at some point, Darren, I'd recommend getting a proper Lightbox. Doesn't have to be Mahoosive, but I'd get one that can take a full page of the 35mm negs with a bit of space to spare. Say something like this...

That looks good, I think I might have seen something like that elsewhere. Looks like I need one.

That looks good, I think I might have seen something like that elsewhere. Looks like I need one.

Just wait until you see a strip of 120 E6 on the lightbox....and don't get me started on what 10x8" slides look like on there :)

Seriously, a good lightbox and loupe are worth their cost in wasted photo-paper.

Just wait until you see a strip of 120 E6 on the lightbox....and don't get me started on what 10x8" slides look like on there :)

Seriously, a good lightbox and loupe are worth their cost in wasted photo-paper.

I have loupe as Helen is a jewellery maker (y)

I will get one of those but cannot afford to buy that one now.

Any thoughts on an enlarger. The one I have looks like it would take MF cells in the hopper but it apparently doesn't (the hopper is about 6.5cmx6.5cm with a small 35x24mm rectangular cut out in the middle for the 35mm film.

I have seen a durst one which you can dial in the Ilford multigrade numbers and use for colour. What size do I need to get to make sure that I don't end up unable to use it (I would like to get a Hassleblad MF and maybe something else eventually). I think the Nikon F6+scanner is replacing the 70-200 now (y)

It depends what size MF you want to do. A durst M605 colour is what I use from 35mm to 6x6, it won't do 6x7 though which is a pain as I could be tempted to move to 6x7 in the future.

I'd look for a DeVere 500 series enlarger if I was starting again.

Last edited:
I was looking at a camera last week that did upto 6x9 I think. I am not sure as I am quite new to all this. I would love to get some MF colour shots in the studio and of landscapes etc

When you're ready to get an MF enlarger I'd recommend asking on FADU as there's a massive amount of darkroom knowledge on there. Just don't mention anything involving 1s or 0s;)

This is something I want to get into, I am going to have a hunt around the second hand shops in london and see what I could get. I would love a medium format, but I don't think I can stretch that far...

This is something I want to get into, I am going to have a hunt around the second hand shops in london and see what I could get. I would love a medium format, but I don't think I can stretch that far...

If you need a 35mm enlarger then I am pretty sure that I will have a spare and I can probably manage a spare Paterson film developing canister and some trays. Not sure what the postage would be. Oh and an out of date 35mm film to use to practice with (y) Most of the other spare bits are promised to the school

The F&C section is great !

I want to do it all myself too. I am now looking for a MF enlarger that will handle colour too. I have even located a supplier of chemistry equipment to get some conical flasks which I can stick through the dishwasher. I have decided that I am using the changing bag for the film changes and using the bathroom for prints rather than the studio (despite making it light tight!). I am putting a board on half the bath and using the bath as a constant temp water bath.

Very addictive :)

Can I just ask everyone... The enlargers have a european plug on them which goes into the timer box thing. Are these timer boxes universal?

I can pass these two normal 35mm enlargers on to other TPers then

someday I'll get all the junk to do it myself as well ! :)
oh ! the lightbox !!! mmm... calumetcamera or what was the name, had photo loupes but I guess that jewellery one will be fine.

p.s. I'm now looking at the scans. shame that they are only about 2000x2000.

someday I'll get all the junk to do it myself as well ! :)
oh ! the lightbox !!! mmm... calumetcamera or what was the name, had photo loupes but I guess that jewellery one will be fine.

p.s. I'm now looking at the scans. shame that they are only about 2000x2000.

People are giving dark room kit away left right and centre! I bought the first lot of kit for £50 which included a microwave box full of paper etc etc and then I was given the next lot.

Back