Daily My late start 366 - BobBCN

Thanks Matt. I'm trying to shoot as much and as often as poss, different subjects etc I suppose I'm still on that learning curve .... and getting better I hope!

Love the shutter drag candle; it's probably my favourite in-camera effect and that's a great use of it.

Not quite sure what you mean there Tony! :shrug:

It was a 2 sec exposure and I moved the candle from left to right, must have done about 30 attempts before I got this one!!

Is that what you mean by in-camera? In the sense that there was no processing to create the effect.

Last edited:
Not quite sure what you mean there Tony! :shrug:

It was a 2 sec exposure and I moved the candle from left to right, must have done about 30 attempts before I got this one!!

Is that what you mean by in-camera? In the sense that there was no processing to create the effect.

Yup - in-camera means it's all done literally in camera, no post processing. And shutter drag is what it's called when you move the camera while the shutter is open.

Usually I do it that way, but it's interesting that you kept the camera stationary and moved the subject - more like the night time long exposures you see people doing, I suppose.

OK cheers, got it now!

I suppose the only difference would have been the flame. If I had moved the camera, the trail of the flame would be uniform. In mine, on the other hand, you can see how the flame 'dips' - I must have accelerated slightly at that point!

Day 232/366 (2012)

Some more façades ..... and political comment to boot.

The Sabadell HQ of CDC (Convergencia Democratica de Catalunya) having been used for paintball practice it seems ........

PaintSplash (1) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

I don't know what the building's previous function was but I'd say it was something religious. The 'activists' were obviously not concerned about messing that up either.

PaintSplash (3) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Day 233/366 (2012) Wired!

Been very hot for a few days but last night ......... at 1am the thermometer read 28ºC (82ºF) and not a drop of air.

I shot these from the balcony ....... a group of three old dwellings built with the same design at the front, and as with many such places the electricity came later.

Wired! (1) by BobBCN, on Flickr

Wired! (2) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Day 237/366 (2012)

I'll stick this one in for tomorrow's POTD - 24th August - even though I took it today.

It's from a batch of attempts at those daylight long exposures using two ND filters (4 and 8).

My two basic errors were:

Firstly the sea was like a bloody mirror, as flat as a pancake, which really defeats the object if you are going for that milky effect.

Secondly, now I know why most people use stones and piers - the sodding boats move as well!!

This shot was really the only one salvage-able (pun intended btw). Having said that, I quite like the composition of this shot/crop, although maybe I should have removed the bottle!!

5 Seconds by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Wow! I have just realised that you can have the display in BLACK!! Makes a big difference when viewing most of the photos.

Last edited:
Day 239/366 (2012)

This is one of the symbols of Catalunya: the donkey! You may find that strange but in fact it reflects the hardworking nature of the Catalan people. You may have seen them on cars if you have visited this part of the world. It's also a kind of reaction against 'el toro' (the bull) which is very much a symbol of Spain.

Maybe I should have waited until 11th September which is the Catalan national day.

Donkey by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Thanks for the comments - Vince and Matt!!

Day 241/366 (2012)

Took a walk to the central market and shot one of the four stained glass windows which are above the entrances.

stained glass by BobBCN, on Flickr​

242/366 (2012)

Black Cat

CAT standing for Catalunya, and the design represents the Catalan flag - four red lines on a yellow background. There are many theories about the design as with most flags I imagine, but the most 'romantic' from the 13th Century is that a king, using a wounded count's blood, painted the red lines with his fingers. Nice, eh?

Black Cat by BobBCN, on Flickr​

243/366 (2012)

And more modern but along the 'lines' theme, more or less. Here's a tin of Sidol (the Spanish equivalent of Brasso). Taken for no other reason than the tin itself which I quite like! It's of those increasing number of products that seem to have gone back to a more nostalgic look.

Brasso by BobBCN, on Flickr​

And now it's September! Day 245 already!!

I had a real 'photography day' yesterday. So here's a selection .......anticipating a few busy days as I'm back at work on Monday.

Day 245
First off - early in the morning, after all the rain, the sun was out again and the cars parked up all looked clean and shiny. Tons of reflection possibilities!

espejo (3) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Day 246
Later I felt creative so started some splash experiments. This is the one I like best: the ice skater!

Splash! (3) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Day 247
Following on from that I did some more reflections. This time using various tea trays and some olive oil ......

Coca Cola (2) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

Day 248
Finally, a walk out for some more shop dummies, here with some pp treatment ....

31Aug2012 (4) by BobBCN, on Flickr​

That lot takes me as far as Tuesday 4th!

Cheers

Thanks Vince - as to the dummy, the illumination from above by a single spotlight helped to create the image, then just a sepia conversion and increased contrast.

Back