My lens steamed up!

Edit My Images
Yes
I was out taking some photos and my lens steamed up! Is it Ok just to let it warm up at room temp? I removed it from the camera and it looks like nothing in there steamed up.

It should be fine but why did it steam up in the first place? Were you somewhere humid or cold?
You could always buy some silica pouches and pack it in with some of those.

I would not have removed the lens. If the conditions were right for condensation on the lens, then conditions were right for condensation inside the camera where it can do a lot more harm.

It was quite cold outside last night, It didnt seem humid, but I did spend most of the day jet washing the yard, I always thought the lens would have to be colder than the enviroment and not the other way around.

This has only happened to me once. I had left my camera (with lens attached) in it's bag in the car overnight and it steamed up on the inside when I went to use it. I just left it on the tripod and waited 5 minutes and the condensation disappeared. No harm done as far as I could tell.

Had you taken your camera from somewhere cold to somewhere warm - presumably this wasn't in the middle of a photography session?

It was quite cold outside last night, It didnt seem humid, but I did spend most of the day jet washing the yard, I always thought the lens would have to be colder than the enviroment and not the other way around.

Agree with the comment about not removing the lens from the camera - just let the camera and lens warm up somewhere and as above the condensation will disappear.

You are correct, warm air holds more moisture than cold air. If the lens is colder than the air then water vapour from the air will condense on to the lens.

Dave

Not to mention but if this happens a lot you have a good chance of fungus growing inside the lens.

Back