My Olympus and Om systems bird photos and maybe a few with my Canon system

I'm in awe of your shots. You must have some good techniques to get such a wide variety of birds .
It would be interesting to have a few summaries in the talk photography section of where & how you do it
I will have a think about that one.
I'm lucky as I'm ambidextrous with both hands and feet. l learnt to shoot when I was young not animals or birds I may add but clay pidgeons and thrown bottles and cans. I got to the point I could do it without looking down the barrel. I think this gave me a headstart on tracking birds in flight. I was always good at most sports as it came natural to me.
I'm an engineer by trade a (pattern maker) which at one time was classed at the top of the engineering trade. The abilities from that job let's me truly understand the inner workings of the camera and what the engineers were trying to accomplish with the autofocus system. That and I do a lot of testing in varied situations this allows me to squeeze every thing I can from the equipment. Add into that the software that's now available and it's stunning what you can achieve.
Some of my friends are camera nuts and have been for years they just they just say I'm a freak of nature which I can live with.
I don't like to compare myself to people who go out every day and hone their skills to become good photographers.
When my abilities just seems to have dropped in my lap. Also animals and birds seem to like me which makes life easy as well.

Evening offering.
Shot with a 15mm lens on the farne islands where everyone else was ducking I just walked and took photos. The starburst is a natural phenomenon with a 15mm lens I just twisted a bit to get the tip of the birds wing against the sun1000018847.jpg

:ROFLMAO: whilst most of us are just happy to get the bird wholly in the frame and in focus ... you also get the starburst, the eye contact and the open beak. Superb!
To be fair it's a bit of a cheat you set your lens to focus at 3' manually set f10 a shutter of about 1/1600
This gives you anything from about 56cm to 240cm in focus so all you worry about is composition.

I always imagine a certain type of image before I actually take it. I can see it in my mind's eye so to speak. Also like I have said before on the thread spend a bit of time watching the subject watch the wings and body of the subject it helps you to anticipate what it will do next.

Just like to thank everyone for their nice comments and likes if anyone wants any info please ask. I will do my best to answer. I always think sharing places and info while not making us better photographers it does make us more friends.

The swallow in flight is the best one - partly because I know how hard it is photograph them. I have never got one yet - partly because at my local park I never see them.
Thank you. I'm lucky to have them in my garden also on the Malvern Hills and when we go away with the camper we tend to get them on different camp sites. One of my favourite birds for checking the tracking abilities of camera's.
A few more with cousins
PSX_20231212_084111.jpg1000019174.jpg1000019173.jpg1000019172.jpg1000019175.jpg

Thank you. I'm lucky to have them in my garden also on the Malvern Hills and when we go away with the camper we tend to get them on different camp sites. One of my favourite birds for checking the tracking abilities of camera's.
A few more with cousins
View attachment 408988View attachment 408989View attachment 408990View attachment 408991View attachment 408992
Wow those are great - sadly there is only one place near me where I see them and even then they are a long way from me. I would like to find some nests so I can get photos as they leave the nests

Wow those are great - sadly there is only one place near me where I see them and even then they are a long way from me. I would like to find some nests so I can get photos as they leave the nests
Try some of the local farms near you they love farm buildings and tend to like telegraph lines close to where they nest. The one site we stayed at they were nesting In the office doorway just above your head
Not a prize winner by any means but a good reference
On how nature adapts around us.

PSX_20231212_102815.jpg

Try some of the local farms near you they love farm buildings and tend to like telegraph lines close to where they nest. The one site we stayed at they were nesting In the office doorway just above your head
Not a prize winner by any means but a good reference
On how nature adapts around us.

View attachment 409001
That is an idea - although I am a bit of distance from any farms. Hopefully next summer.

Back