Beginner My sigma 70-200 f2.8 os hsm lens question (UPDATE)

Name
Damen
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

ive been out today taking pictures of my son etc when im at 200mm f2.8 i cant help but notice how soft/not so sharp the image can be, even with a shutter speed of 320th

when i have my little sqaure on his face for focus i dont know if its just me but it appears his other parts of body look sharper than his face

3.5 is better and f4 is fine, but i got rid of my tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 for it for the f2.8

i notice aswel that my tamrons VC is alot more stabilised than my sigma lens, my lens does stablise but i wonder if thats down to the weight?

would they need calibrating?

Last edited:
Hi Damen,

I have had issues at 2.8 with my Tamron 28-75 even after it has been to Tamron and I had tried to use Focal to set it up. Changing to the Nikon 24-70 I do not get this issue. So some lenses are not at their sharpest at 2.8, but you could try and calibrate it if you use 2.8 most of the time and your camera body allows you to do this.

Arr did you see i have the 28-75 tamron and thats fine, i have a d600 so id like to think i could, is this easy to do your self or am i best off taking it in to a shop? Not sure on costs

Arr did you see i have the 28-75 tamron and thats fine, i have a d600 so id like to think i could, is this easy to do your self or am i best off taking it in to a shop? Not sure on costs
You can do it your self otherwise you have to send both lens and body off and can be a bit expensive.

This show what you need to do on the camera body

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/...configured=1&lang=en_GB&sfdcIFrameOrigin=null

And you have the option of using focal, for which you will need good light or other lens cal methods.

Arr cheers, i will post 2 pictures out of camera, the only thing i have done is use the sharpen slider in lightroom.

the f2.8 has a +95 sharpen and the f6.3 has a +74 sharpen

Thank you, i think you maybe right, its something i will 100% do as i do tend to use f2.8 quite alot and after all, thats the reason why we pay bigger money isnt it

You know for example if i calibrated my 70-200 lens, would that mean that my 28-75mm lens would then be out? Or do i have to do both separately??

Each one has an ID and needs to be done separately. The camera remember the settings for each lens.

Have you tried it on a tripod with the ois switched off?

If you are at 200mm with 1/320th I would say that handheld camera shake will still be an issue

I didnt no, i didnt think i would get much camera shake at that speed.

i have taken it back into the shop today and they are going to test it all out and hopfully calibrate it with the d600 and also calibrate it with my d3400, im not sure how they will do that as the d3400 doesnt have a AF fine tune option

they said if it doesnt then they will have to send it off to sigma for them to calibrate the lens

Last edited:
They phoned me back up guys, tested all sorts of lenses on my bodies and it turns out its the lens, theyve tried focussing etc and its not improving.

they have taken it back from me and have now given me a Tamron 70-200 F2.8 G2 as when this was tested it was pin sharp from f2.8

i have had to put little money towards it however they have given me a huge discount. Absoloutly top quality service.

They phoned me back up guys, tested all sorts of lenses on my bodies and it turns out its the lens, theyve tried focussing etc and its not improving.

they have taken it back from me and have now given me a Tamron 70-200 F2.8 G2 as when this was tested it was pin sharp from f2.8

i have had to put little money towards it however they have given me a huge discount. Absoloutly top quality service.
That is good news, I believe the Tamron is sharper then the sigma one.

That is good news, I believe the Tamron is sharper then the sigma one.

ye it is, also a significant price difference as the g2 was up for £890 and my sigma cost me £550 but i only had to put £150 towards so im happy with that.

the trouble being was i would have rather kept my tamron 70-300 f4 over the sigma with the way it was performing.

I am sure once you start using 2.8 at 200 you will fall in love with the lens, especially when it is sharp.

I am sure once you start using 2.8 at 200 you will fall in love with the lens, especially when it is sharp.
I really hope so, id hate to think of spending this amount of money for the same outcome

Back