Salisbury is my home town. I lived here until moving to France nearly 7 years ago.

It's actually quite hard for me to find stuff in the city now. Having pretty much got it covered it's hard to get my camera out of the bag!

Fair enough, you know far better than me then.

It's a difficult one. I'm probably the best person to speak to about photographing the meadows. I have been granted lifetime access by the trust so know all the corners to get the cathedral.

There is a hidden view of the cathedral that hardly anyone knows about where it reflects in one of the rivers.

If you park in Salisbury try either Culver Street or New Street car park. Each one has an open top floor and gives you a shot of the cathedral.

Harnham Hill has a nice view looking down on the city. I haven't been up in ages but you get that on a good day and it's impressive.

We've lost a view near to Downton Road. It used to be fields but now they've built on it the view has gone.

Haven't yet scouted around Peter's Finger but I'm sure there is a view from a hill up there.

Pepperbox Hill us where my Dad used to take us to fly kites. It also offers a VERY long lens view of Salisbury.

There's some historic buildings in the city but if you look closely at the place it seems that every time a shop closes it either becomes a charity shop or a café. Salisbury is known for it among the locals.

Now, yesterday I was in York. Honestly, Salisbury could take a few leaves out of their centre. OK, there's the normal chains but there's quite a number if independent shops.

That's alright!

Just come back from wandering around the centre. Reminded me of the right decision I made to go! It's nice to visit but I just feel like a massive sense of déjà-vu when I go there.

The best thing was bumping into an old friend I had lost contact with and have no re-connected :D

That's alright!

Just come back from wandering around the centre. Reminded me of the right decision I made to go! It's nice to visit but I just feel like a massive sense of déjà-vu when I go there.

The best thing was bumping into an old friend I had lost contact with and have no re-connected :D

I used to feel that way about SE London, but haven't been back for 5 years, and that was a funeral. A few years back an old school friend described Croydon as "the ghetto".

Enjoying these. Subscribed also. I'd love to film some of my travels, will hopefully get some tips and get round to giving it a go :)

Thanks @Shams!

Not sure if you do it full-time or not. Just be aware it can be quite time consuming as well as frustrating if you want a place to yourself.

I like to film when no one is around so if I mess up you don't feel too much of a prat. The piece at Knowlton took about 2 hours until I had the place to myself. The time lapse took a while to wait for as I wanted it with no people to clone out.

Next vlog. Well, more of a tutorial.

tried to explain three different ways of choosing a grad. Why? Because I know that some people do struggle to choose the correct strength. I've personally had people tell me all sorts of stories etc when I was first learning that confused the heck out of me and I now realise they more than likely didn't know themselves.

Hopefully I have explained things but this is my first vlog in this vein. It took a while to film this and in fact it's filmed on two different days about 3 weeks apart.

Was on holiday in Brittany last week but it's VERY hard to turn off life as a working travel and landscape photographer.

If you love the Cornish coastline but have never seen what Brittany is like then here is a glimpse of it. Having had a taste I'm desperate to get back there.

I mention the next vlog is on Burgundy. It won't be as the weather was rubbish. But I'm in the Dolomites from 22 to 30 April and might get to document that but we shall see.

Thanks for your vlogs. Have subscribed to your youtube channel. Keep em coming ;)

Haven't updated this in ages! Life and work has been manic and it doesn't look like it's stopping soon either.

Here's three vlogs:

What's up next? Possibly Rotterdam where I'm off to tomorrow. Next week I'm in Provence and I should be able to vlog that. Then I'm in the UK straight after that for things such as the Flying Legends in Duxford.

All comments appreciated :)

Phew!!!

Here's the latest vlog from my travels. Rotterdam just wasn't possible as my arrival in the city was marred by KLM leaving my suitcase in Paris while I arrived in Amsterdam. Then Air France managed to do the same 5 days later :mad:

But Provence did happen and I did get a little time to document some of what I did down there.

If you reading this and headed off down there soon be aware that last week they were already harvesting the lavender fields on the Plateau de Valensole.

I liked the vid about Rome. Some views I hadn't seen before. :)

You were a bit luckier than me last time I went to the Coliseum, at 4am, the soldiers were parked at the end of the path, and didn't feel like moving out of the way. :mad: :( :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments :)

The Colisseum is definitely luck if the draw. The last couple of times I went it was covered in scaffolding. And then like you it's been inundated with police or army.

Last year the Spanish Steps too were covered in works which is why I went back.

Thanks for the comments :)

The Colisseum is definitely luck if the draw. The last couple of times I went it was covered in scaffolding. And then like you it's been inundated with police or army.

Last year the Spanish Steps too were covered in works which is why I went back.
Yep, a few years ago when I went they seemed to have scaffold, or be putting scaffold up in the case of the Colosseum, on almost everything I planned to take pics of. :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: It got quite funny after awhile. It was like they had read my mind. :LOL:

You can only do so much planning beforehand without knowing someone who lives there with up to date info. I'm sure Julian has such problems all the time with the amount of travelling to different locations.

It is absolutely one of the main issues you get in historic centres. Will there be scaffolding? How long will it be there for?

One of the views I did was looking down the Tiber towards the Vatican. Last year there was a building with some horrid scaffolding to the side of the view which couldn't be removed easily. But a few weeks ago it had gone!

A timely return, Julian.....I've only just checked whether YouTube had stopped alerting me.

Bob

Yes, sorry about the wait. The summer is always a killer. My wife is a teacher which means she and the kids are at home. That in turn means things slow down a lot for me.

On Sunday I was an accredited photographer for the Paris > Tours cycle race. A vlog has been done on that and will be put together by the end of the week.

I "may" get time to do some autumn stuff here in the Loire. But I am in the Dolomites for 8 days at the end of October/ early November. That WILL be filmed and hopefully the weather will play ball. If not, I have said to my wife that we'll decamp elsewhere in Italy.

Please always be patient though. It's not always easy being a full-time pro; fitting in family life; travelling and making vlogs ;)

Yesterday I finished the first of two vlogs centred on the Dolomites in Northern Italian. It's been split into two parts because of the huge area that the Dolomites cover.

We had great weather for the majority of our time over there. Mostly blue sky sunrise and sunsets but what can you?

And the second part of the Dolomites. Different terrain and different views around the Cortina d'Ampezzo area. First night was frustrating as there were high winds coming down from Austria which meant nothing got done.

In any case, a good time was had and more knowledge has been gained of the area.

Please feel free to comment!

Back