IMO, the internet is mostly full of short attention span people... It doesn't have to be "polished," it has to be "good." If you want watchers you need to provide something they want (information/entertainment/etc), and it has to be "efficient." Otherwise, they would have to be really bored and just "wasting time" to watch.

Just as an aside here is something that I was speaking about in my introduction video. The fact that as a stock photographer how images I take end up being used across the World but that I personally am a nameless shutter clicker ;)

At around 11 seconds into this video on Bloomberg you'll see an image of a pilot's hand which is my photo. I got VERY lucky with this as I asked if I could take on a flight home to France and the pilot said yes. What also helped was being a frequent flyer and with the status I have I was on the plane first.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2016-07-26/daybreak-what-you-need-to-know-today-july-26

Consider doing a translation, closed captions are becoming a priority quickly now, many people refuse to watch, share or subscribe to a channel that doesn't have captions. Your video will have an automatic captioning anyway, so it's not too challenging or time consuming to go through a correct them - you will be very lucky if it spot on first go, I have had some very amusing/awkward captions and I'm really glad I found them.

If you are going to correct the captions you will have an accurate text running through. With a click that can become a transcript. Google can translate it and your French would hopefully be good enough to spot any mistakes. Iron out the creases, upload it as a new translation for captioning, score brownie points with google.

Some believe anyone with captions corrected gets boosted up he promotions list and your video has a much better chance of being seen.

You are right what you say about people will either like you or not. Don't sweat about it, make the best videos you can, and enjoy it. Let's be honest, the chance of it being a huge hit channel is small, that doesn't mean it can't generate an income but ere are millions of channels, most go nowhere. That's not a criticism, it's a reality. If that's the goal then I wouldn't bother. If it's not the goal then you may as well be doing it because you enjoy it.

Sound is important. A decent lavalier wireless mic is a good investment if you are sticking at it, but don't forget your ambient sound too or your videos will sound very odd if all made outside and no background noise.

Thanks @NDevon! I shall take a look at that and see what I can do.

Absolutely agree that it's not likely to hit any top 10s anytime soon. But hey you gotta put yourself out there and you can always dream ;)

Sound wise I have the Rode Smartlav which goes into a Tascam DR05. It was a toss up between the Tascam and Zoom that most people go for but I've known of Tascam for far longer than Zoom.

That's good then, you have the sound sorted, Rode and Tascam you can't go wrong with. I got a new Zoom H5 for £175 delivered so I couldn't resist that, I was looking at Tascam and about to buy when I spotted that.

What camera do you actually film on?

Captions have been done on the original intro video as well as the updated sound intro video. Not sure I want to spend my evening doing the other but will do it during the coming week.

The original Intro video was shot on three cameras but only two positions were used due to the nightmare of the white balance. I also had, if memory serves, the sun going in and out of the clouds behind the camera which added to the headache.

A Canon 5D Mark II and a Canon 6D did the intro. Attached lenses were a Canon 28-70mm L (not a mistake as it's the old version) and the Canon 17-40mm L.

Adobe Premiere Pro CC was used to splice it all together. I used the multicam portion to do this and align the audio. I just did a clap at the beginning and it aligned it perfectly.

Next week a GoPro Hero 5 is being added for the in the field stuff. The next hurdle and learning curve ;)

I got a Hero 5 just before Christmas and then spent a load on different brackets and holders. My favourite is the dog harness! I've been experimenting with time lapse stuff, but working out he right intervals is not easy. I want to do it for journeys, I have the window holder and it looks fine, but you need to work out how long the journey will be, how long you want it to take to run through and then choose how often pictures taken and how many pictures displayed per 10/30 seconds. Get it wrong and the journey takes too long to play back or it's over in a few seconds. Or as I found out today on a drive through Dartmoor the damn battery runs out mid drive.

The most useful extra I got for the GoPro is a tiny ball joint connector. Some of the brackets and connectors you get are great but the camera just isn't facing how you want it to. You can add various links to turn it round, but just spend a few quid on a ball joint on Amazon or eBay and you will be glad you do. Oh and get a spare battery for the GoPro, I need to find one. Oh and a bag for all the extras you will buy for it! Oh and a small bag for all the locking pins, links and connectors you'll gather.

That should about do it!

I'm using my son as a mobile film unit, he's happy to oblige, he wears a harness with the GoPro on and I clamp a camera onto the side of his wheelchair, we can then film where we are going but also film him and me. He thinks it's funny, he doesn't talk but he loves seeing himself on the screen as it's recording. We are going to be reviewing places for accessibility, something I've wanted to do for ages. I've got an DJI Osmo Mobile coming and I'll use my iPhone in that for a steady shot connected to the wheelchair, though I'm hinting of a second GoPro as they can go in with an adapter. It's just the stability as we bump around places, a camera on a rigid bracket doesn't get a good shot from the hard wheels and all the knocks.

Just trying to decide which way to go for my new main cameras. I am really keen on the X-T2, does all I'd need it to, and using Log and taking the feed straight out to a couple of Atomos recorders with screens could give me a really high quality and flexible package for filming and be what I want for photography too. I was waiting to see what the new 5D was about, but I just don't think it's exciting or interesting enough for the money. The other option I'm not ruling out is the anew GH5. I'd not really considered Panasonic before, I knew the GH4 was about as good as there was for video, the 5 really steps it up. But I'm just not sure for photography. I'm sure it's more than good enough, I'm just not wowed by it. I like the X-T2, I like the manual adjustments, I like how it feels in my hands, and with the right lens it will sit in a pocket and be a practical camera to take most places.

For a while I was thinking about going mad and getting something from the Canon cinema line, but it would only be the one and I really can't justify it.

@NDevon. As you may have seen in my intro video I'm not just a stills photographer but also time lapse creator. Ideally, they are best done using a DSLR as you have much better control and quality.

It took me a while to work out the ideal intervals for different scenarios but it was just a matter of practice.

I certainly understand what you mean about the mounts. Yet more gear to carry!!! And Gopro aren't always the best solution either.

As far as camera goes, it's always hard to justify things. There are some things that I would like in bag as for me they are kind of a necessity but they'll just have to wait for now ;)

Very good! How was the access arranged?

By the look of all the names scratched on the walls behind you, the spot doesn't look like it has always been the preserve of the especially privileged.

Very good! How was the access arranged?

By the look of all the names scratched on the walls behind you, the spot doesn't look like it has always been the preserve of the especially privileged.

A lot of the rooftops in the cites have quite easy access if you know where to look at it, especially the older ones. If you want to do it legally with permission a lot of the time it is possible by contacting their PR or media department. We were on a few rooftops doing stuff a few years ago, some were arranged for us and others we had to arrange ourselves. In some cases they wanted to see some types of accreditation though. I think we have shots from this location too, it looks like the Westmister Hall building.

But is is getting harder even with accreditation, which I have. Some are willing to help but it gets scuppered by a higher authority. Some want a huge fee.

For me and what I do it is better to get the proper permission.

As mentioned earlier. Keep an eye out for the London open house event in September whereby you can gain access to a ton of rooftops for free :)

But is is getting harder even with accreditation, which I have. Some are willing to help but it gets scuppered by a higher authority. Some want a huge fee.

For me and what I do it is better to get the proper permission.

As mentioned earlier. Keep an eye out for the London open house event in September whereby you can gain access to a ton of rooftops for free :)
Ours was helped by the client owning a lot of the propertys and their ability to throw some weight around to get free access to others where we were needed it.

Evening all

One thing my vlog is doing for me is getting me away from the monotony of the administration work I have right now. It's been a killer the last couple of months.

When I first joined the forum I mentioned I lived in the Loire Valley. i'm not sure who exactly translated it but it should actually be the Vale of the Loire. There are certainly no deep gorges and valleys round here. We do have the famous châteaux though and my local one is seen at the end.

Sorry for not being as enthusiastic as I should be in this one. Had a bad night's sleep which certainly comes through in the 1st section at dawn.

Evening all

Had a pretty good day out yesterday starting at Sully-sur-Loire. Went exploring but it was a shame the wether closed in during the late morning.

All comments welcome and a huge thanks to those on here that have subscribed :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSnTDaHmINw

I thoroughly enjoyed that, Julian...thanks. I've subscribed now and will catch up with 1-4 over the next few days.

Bob

I thoroughly enjoyed that, Julian...thanks. I've subscribed now and will catch up with 1-4 over the next few days.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

So I can continue putting out material that keep people like yourself coming back, what is it that you found enjoyable?

When I edited it yesterday I thought it maybe too long and not paced better. But then I can be my own worst critique!

My primary interest in the Vlogs is probably a little different to the majority as I'm just down the road from you and hence it has a "local flavour" in addition to the compositional lessons.

I'm no expert in video clips but the your elocution and presentation seem very clear without it being too formal.

Bob

My primary interest in the Vlogs is probably a little different to the majority as I'm just down the road from you and hence it has a "local flavour" in addition to the compositional lessons.

I'm no expert in video clips but the your elocution and presentation seem very clear without it being too formal.

Bob

Bob

That is really nice, thank you! When I'm talking, I'm only being me and talking as if someone was there with me.

I see you're in Poitou Charente. Where exactly are you? It's likely that at some point I'll be in your area as it's not too far away.

I'm about 30km south of Poitiers and a few km's off the N10 near Couhé. We had a brief conversation by PM (on another forum) 7-8 years ago when you were just settling in.

I'd happily meet up somewhere if it suits you.

Bob

Really enjoying these and it's not usually my kind of thing. The presentation is really good and clear and your to the point and not talking endlessly at us.

Nice work

Really enjoying these and it's not usually my kind of thing. The presentation is really good and clear and your to the point and not talking endlessly at us.

Nice work

Thank you!!!

I'm very aware of how TV works and that our attention spans are quite limited. There was a whole sequence shot but removed because I thought that I was just yacking!

In a way the editing is almost like I do for my images at Getty. You start seeing what is good to keep and what isn't.

One sequence took a while to shoot as cars kept going past. It certainly isn't easy doing this and trying not to miss a shot too!

I'm about 30km south of Poitiers and a few km's off the N10 near Couhé. We had a brief conversation by PM (on another forum) 7-8 years ago when you were just settling in.

I'd happily meet up somewhere if it suits you.

Bob

Bob, that's great! You're not a million miles away so I'm sure we can find a mutually agreeable time and place :D

A quick question if I may, Julian. For your final shot you chose to shift the lens down rather than lower the tripod.....what was behind that decision?

Bob

A quick question if I may, Julian. For your final shot you chose to shift the lens down rather than lower the tripod.....what was behind that decision?

Bob

I think it all comes down to when you're checking out a scene. Standing up. Kneeling down etc. The thing with the TS is once you've levelled it off you may then need to shift up or down.

Maybe I should do a video where I take someone out...hint!

Phraseology like that makes you sound like a hired assassin.....but yes, I'm up for anything.

Awesome! We'll work on something and how it can be done :)

Got a good idea of where you are and kind of an idea of things around you so I'll have a think and PM you over the next couple of days to get an idea of logistics. It may be in March but I'm sure we can work on it :)

I've watched the first 3 Julian and subscribed... and will go on to watch the others. I turned captions on for the first two. Noticeably better sound in the third one, and more interesting for being out in the field (although I can't deny I was interested in what was in your camera bag :D )

The channels I subscribe to are predominantly ones where I'm learning something, or else I start getting to know the presenter, like their style and find them entertaining. They don't have to be perfect.

Keep it up!

Thanks @Bebop!

Those first two aren't the best and it was only after I filmed them I discovered just how I should set the microphone input level.

Being out in the field is definitely better. It is what I do after all! Usually, I would film on a Thursday and edit it on Friday. But the weather predicted for this week was, and has been, dreadful so I decided to out on Sunday.

Strangely enough, there has just been a documentary on TV over here showing some of the locations I went to :)

It does baffle me why I and others like watch them.

I too have just started vlogging my landscaping trips and I totally understand on how un-easy it is at first. The couple things I've learned, look at the lens not the screen and good audio. Bad audio will kill any video no matter how great it looks.

Last edited:
Hi @MrDrizz !

Yes, I have thought about a channel intro. I need time to do that though as amongst everything else it's a lot of work.

You should see a definite improvement on both the audio and the looking at the camera. It took a little to get used to looking at the camera. It's also kind of weird at times as you are out there talking to yourself!!!

I've not been to Saumur for nearly 25 years, thanks for the reminder.

No worries! It had been a good 6 months for me! Last time I was there was an accredited photographer for the Tour de France :) But I do love that particular area. It's a lot more hills etc than where I am.

Morning all

I would have got this out on Saturday but trying to rely on a hotel wifi was disastrous.

Currently, I'm in Salisbury and the weather for most of the time has been dire. The weekend was spent up in the Peak District and also York yesterday but no filming took place as I just didn't have time.

Hoping to some landscapes this week but it's not looking good with the weather at all!!!

I'll have a look later. Salisbury has some lovely views, although one time I was there I had little time for photography & could only go out late at night or early in the morning.

Back