My Year of Portraits :) (Completed)

cosmix3

David Sullivan
Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
No
Inspired by ..MD.. (Dave), hope you don't mind, thought I would start my Year of Portraits, as they are one area I am trying to work on this year and improve for consistent results, mine will be more of a monthly thing, maybe more often, depending on commitments, but hope that by doing this I can watch my improvement, and gain some Help and Crit for others, so feel free to crit any of the images I post (I may like them but if they can be improved all the better), I have thick skin so wont be easily offended. Anyway will kick the tread off with one from this month (will add more for this month as the editing is done), has been posted already, but hey, I do love this one.

January:

Taken in the studio, using my new Triflector MKII, the space was left for a reason, was done in an advertising style (and is likely to be used for a project)

IMG_5382.jpg

Same set as above, going for a different look with hair and expression, went a bit brighter to work with the expression.

IMG_5379.jpg

And a more traditional portrait from the same shoot.

IMG_5292.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice, love the lighting and the background. I don't mind the hair over the eye but guaranteed some will!

A good start, doing one a week or more?

Very nice, love the lighting and the background. I don't mind the hair over the eye but guaranteed some will!

A good start, doing one a week or more?

Thanks, the hair is a marmite point, I like it and wanted it that way, but as you say others wont like, Intend to put several a month up (should be doing atleast one shoot a month), will be adding more for Jan, but am at work, and they are on the PC at home, and some still need edited.

2 more shots added for January to OP :)

I prefer the lighting on the 2nd image matey. But my only concern is the shadow the one shoe casts onto her face.. I makes her face look like it is missing parts of it.

I will follow this thread with interest..

Best Regards

Dave:wave:

Thanks Dave, know what you mean, like the first a tad darker, to me it fits the mood, will look at ligtening it a tad (been having issues with shots on the net of late, darker than same shot on PC).

Last edited:
Well one more from January's shoot that I have just got round to editing, again a more traditional shot.

IMG_5304.jpg

Well first from Feb's shoots, may be more to come from this shoot as edited, and maybe from the other shoots this month.

In the Bath.
IMG_6351.jpg

Im a big fan of your work and I love these shoe shots. Really inspiring. I look forward to following hhis thread stuart!

Thanks Chris, kind of you to say, must say I am quite partial to the shoe shots :)

Hi,

Some more for February, this time the great Raphaella from a shoot yesterday, been awhile since I have managed to shoot Raphaella, but was worth the wait :)

IMG_6731.jpg

IMG_6762.jpg

Another for Feb (doing well this month), another from the shoot with the Lovely Raphaella.

IMG_6733.jpg

Another Feb one, from the shoot with Faye, 2 versions of it, colour and Black & White.

IMG_6186.jpg

IMG_6186_B&W.jpg

Love the idea of this. Some very good portraits there

Really liking this shot buddy . Dont get me wrong the others are good imho but this one stands out to me...:clap:

I will keep an eye on this thread matey. Keep up the good work.

Dave(y)

Really liking this shot buddy . Dont get me wrong the others are good imho but this one stands out to me...:clap:

I will keep an eye on this thread matey. Keep up the good work.

Dave(y)

Thanks Dave, she is a very photogenic model, and all going well will get chance to do some more with her on location in Wales in May :)

Thanks Dave, she is a very photogenic model, and all going well will get chance to do some more with her on location in Wales in May :)

:naughty: And there is me living on the welsh border :naughty:

If you need a hand matey ;)

Dave(y)

:naughty: And there is me living on the welsh border :naughty:

If you need a hand matey ;)

Dave(y)

If I could sort it I would, unfortunately is a group holiday thing being arranged by someone I know,

But to make you feel better, there will be 4 lovely models, 1 stunning location (including a private waterfall) and 2 lovely days of shooting :naughty:

These are all really nice. Are the backgrounds as shot or added in PP? The only thing I'm not keen on is the multiple catchlights in the eyes, but that's only a personal thing, some like it.... great work though. (y)

These are all really nice. Are the backgrounds as shot or added in PP? The only thing I'm not keen on is the multiple catchlights in the eyes, but that's only a personal thing, some like it.... great work though. (y)

Thanks.

The BG's are shot, was using gels on grey paper roll, the catchlights I'm not sure if I like or not, they are due to using the triflector, may end up cloning at some point, just cant decide if I like or not :)

March:

Well will kick March of with these 2, they where taken yesterday (I know not technically March but hey), the lovely Ashlea, taken in London on location in a nice Warehouse Flat conversion.

IMG_6882.jpg

IMG_6891.jpg

Last edited:
The little square of red/blue on the first one is distracting, but great work once again.... :clap:

Where do you get the endless supply of hotties? :D

The little square of red/blue on the first one is distracting, but great work once again.... :clap:

Where do you get the endless supply of hotties? :D

Thanks, that is a piece of art on the wall, in 1, didn't notice it as distracting, but now you mention it see it every time :) bit to big to clone but may give it ago at some point.

As for the hotties, they are models, but most of them I have worked with several times, some even more :)

Another for March, Tina again, this one is a Natural light shot, lit by the window with a small amount of Fill from a reflector, not done a lot like this, and quite happy with the results.

IMG_8024.jpg

Well, this is the last of the March ones, this was taken on the Roof Terrace of a Villa in Cyprus, took a trip out there to scout some locations, so took the model with me, this is lit with two speedlights, one firing through a shoot-through Umbrella, to camera right, the other with a soften diffuser to lift the smallest amount of shadow, to camera left.

IMG_9530.jpg

Hope to get some more done for April, but not got much planned as yet (although am shooting tomorrow)

OK, sorry, found some more from the Cyprus trip that I like, so thought I would add them as well.

IMG_8977.jpg

IMG_8982.jpg

IMG_8984.jpg

Another for March, Tina again, this one is a Natural light shot, lit by the window with a small amount of Fill from a reflector, not done a lot like this, and quite happy with the results.

IMG_8024.jpg

:clap:

And so you should be .... I cannot belive this image had no feedback...:bonk:

I really like this Stu and for natural light with a reflector :clap:

Regards Dave(y)

:clap:

And so you should be .... I cannot belive this image had no feedback...:bonk:

I really like this Stu and for natural light with a reflector :clap:

Regards Dave(y)

Thanks Dave, is posted in Peps and Ports as well, and got some feedback there, loving Natural light, it's just a pain to work with, but well worth it :)

April:

Well here are some for April, from a shoot at a local Nightclub on the 2nd.

1. DJ Tina Kay :D
IMG_9922.jpg

2. She did a great job of entertaining us :)
IMG_9924.jpg

3. :D
IMG_9929.jpg

4. Victoria, only thing I am not happy with is the Eye, think I needed more light :)
IMG_0067.jpg

Last edited:
More for April, arranged another shoot at the Nightclub (short notice one), here are some of Charlie :)

IMG_0700.jpg

IMG_0702.jpg

Another for April, this time the lovely and stunning Natalia Forrest,

IMG_1785.jpg

Another late April one :) *Edit* OK 2 more :naughty:

Natalia Forrest.
IMG_1199.jpg

Natalia Forrest.
IMG_1753.jpg

Last edited:
May:

Not done many Portraits yet this month, will be doing more next week with luck down in Wales on location, but for now here is one from a shoot with the lovely Tina Kay yesterday :)

IMG_2301.jpg

Back