My Year of Portraits :) (Completed)

Brilliant photos!

Great set (of photos that is)!

Where do you get your models from? I wouldn't know where to start enquiring. Do they usually charge?

Thanks, all my models that I work with are full time professionals, so do get paid, find the through the model sites such as Purestorm, Model Mayhem, Net Model and One Model Place, also get a few through recommendation from models I already work with. Hope that helps :)

Brilliant idea for a thread Stuart.
Below are my two favourites so far.
Looking forward to seeing the May holiday images !!
Keep up the great work.

Another for March, Tina again, this one is a Natural light shot, lit by the window with a small amount of Fill from a reflector, not done a lot like this, and quite happy with the results.

IMG_8024.jpg

Another for Feb (doing well this month), another from the shoot with the Lovely Raphaella.

IMG_6733.jpg

Really lovely portraits!

as they are one area I am trying to work on this year

Are you saying you aren't good? Or just practicing... So far I'd say you're brilliant at portraits. The studio lighting is helping loads (like those catch lights).

Only thing for me is the backgrounds being changed (the green looks weird to me on the post above). Did you post process these or do you use a variety of backgrounds. If post processing, you've done a really good job (especially around the hair!), if not - then its an optical illusion :D

Keep it up!

Brilliant idea for a thread Stuart.
Below are my two favourites so far.
Looking forward to seeing the May holiday images !!
Keep up the great work.

Thanks, those 2 are amongst my favs :) working on sorting and editing the may Hol shots at the moment, not sure I would class it as a Holiday though, 4 days, 4 stunning models, 5 late night (0330 at time) and early starts (up at 0700), fun no doubt, but a holiday ;) :naughty:

Really lovely portraits!

Are you saying you aren't good? Or just practicing... So far I'd say you're brilliant at portraits. The studio lighting is helping loads (like those catch lights).

Thanks, what I am saying is I want to improve on consistansy, Feel I can get a good shot, but want to be at a point where I can do it 99% of the time (know 100% is not likely)

Only thing for me is the backgrounds being changed (the green looks weird to me on the post above). Did you post process these or do you use a variety of backgrounds. If post processing, you've done a really good job (especially around the hair!), if not - then its an optical illusion :D

Keep it up!

The colour ones (red/Yellow etc.) where done on Grey backdrop, with gels on a barn door, so all done in shot.

First from my Trip down to Wales shooting with 4 Stunning Models, more to follow soon :)

IMG_3321.jpg

A few more from the Wales trip:

The lovely Bex :D
IMG_2625.jpg

The stunning Sara:
IMG_3125.jpg

Couple more nice images there buddy.

I think the one of Bex is great :clap: nice work next to that window..

Regards Dave(y)

Couple more nice images there buddy.

I think the one of Bex is great :clap: nice work next to that window..

Regards Dave(y)

Thanks Dave, Bex is a stunning model,

The balance of flash and natural through windows etc. Is something I am working on to improve :)

June:

Here are some for June, all taken in France, used a borrowed 5D2 for these (which has worked out expensive for me), with 2 different lenses, Models are Ashlea and Tina.

1. Tina with 24-70 @ F2.8
IMG_2701.jpg

2. Tina with 85mm 1.8 @ F2
IMG_2724FR.jpg

3. Ashlea with 85mm 1.8 @ F2.8
IMG_4630.jpg

4. Ashlea with 24-70 @ F3.2
IMG_4705.jpg

And finally a fun outtake of Tina, playing Tiger :D with 85mm 1.8 @ F2
IMG_2719.jpg

1 +2 feel a little cold to me .!!! Maybe a cast not sure..

3 + 5 Are nice buddy .. But from the set 3 is the satand out image for me...

Good to see your still doing this .." It can be hard going ....!!!!!"

Regards Dave:wave:

1 +2 feel a little cold to me .!!! Maybe a cast not sure..

3 + 5 Are nice buddy .. But from the set 3 is the satand out image for me...

Good to see your still doing this .." It can be hard going ....!!!!!"

Regards Dave:wave:

Thanks Dave, am trying :) will have another look at them ove the next few days, Tina does have plae skin but will check them as wasn't using my cam, so one of the settings may be different :)

Another from the trip to France in June, Tina Kay :)

IMG_2704.jpg

Hope to do some for this month on Thursday, if I get chance with everything else that's planed :)

July:

1 From yesterdays location shoots with the lovely Tina :) may be more to follow :)

IMG_1070.jpg

Hi Stuart, a great set for June, number 3 in that one is superb. I like your location shot of Tina. (y)

Thanks Michael, that is a nice one of Ashlea from June, and I love the most recent of Tina, though I still prefer the Tina ones from France (June)

Another I like form last Thursdays location shoots with the lovely Tina,

IMG_1127.jpg

Another from the shoot on the streets of Birmingham with the stunning Tina :)

IMG_1013.jpg

Couple more for you, one from the Birmingham Street shoot, the other from the morning shoot in Kidderminster area at the ruins :)

1. Kidderminster area. (I may re-edit this one :) )
IMG_0788.jpg

2. Birmingham.
IMG_1072.jpg

Couple more for you, one from the Birmingham Street shoot, the other from the morning shoot in Kidderminster area at the ruins :)

1. Kidderminster area. (I may re-edit this one :) )
IMG_0788.jpg

2. Birmingham.
IMG_1072.jpg

Dont think the 1st image titterstone needs much doing to it to be honest Stu

I like the 2nd good use of [ non eye contact] IMHO.

MD(y)

It's not always what you see but how you see it... :wave:

Would you mind me asking what a typical lighting setup is? I've noticed that most are shot with shutter speeds under 1/200 with the exception of the 85mm f1.8 work so that rules out HSS flashes; most of Tina for example look to be shot with natural light (which I guess is the ambition of any strobist?). Feel free to ignore this post or reply by PM to avoid thread clutter, I just really admire your work and would appreciate an insight :)

Thanks Dave, think k am being slightly fussy on the first, not overly keen on the stray hairs, 2 I do like the lack of eye contact.

Dont think the 1st image titterstone needs much doing to it to be honest Stu

I like the 2nd good use of [ non eye contact] IMHO.

MD(y)

It's not always what you see but how you see it... :wave:

Don't mind at all, sorry for the delay in getting back, been busy, lighting wise, in the studio type shots, use studio lights, have a pai of Bowens 500R heads, and the studios I use have studio heads I use, so all in manual, the location stuff, again try to use manual, as prefer it that way, do us speed lights for fill if needed, but usually on lowish power, and the flash in manual mode. Will use relectors if I can instead of flash, as trying to improve natural light shots.

Would you mind me asking what a typical lighting setup is? I've noticed that most are shot with shutter speeds under 1/200 with the exception of the 85mm f1.8 work so that rules out HSS flashes; most of Tina for example look to be shot with natural light (which I guess is the ambition of any strobist?). Feel free to ignore this post or reply by PM to avoid thread clutter, I just really admire your work and would appreciate an insight :)

August:

Well will kick of August with these 2, yep, know they where taken in July (just) but hey, from a shoot on Sunday the stunning Victoria :)

1. Know it wont be to everyone's taste , straight from Cam crop wise.
IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

Incredible work here. Really, incredible. The ones you shot in France, and some of your earlier shots really stand out for me...but it's incredible. I think anyone interested in portraiture/fashion photography should aspire to work and shoot at this level. Fantastic! :)

Thanks to you both, the BG colour was done with a Gel on a grey wall :)

Wow that a background colour....brilliant

Victoria wow the eyes really stand out....loving the project :)

GJUK

Well been a long month, and not had much time with this sort of thing, this one is from a shoot this week, again I give you Tina :)

IMG_2209.jpg

Last edited:
Just seen August's images matey ;) :clap: Very nice indeed.

Love the sharpness and colours your getting also the expressions your getting from the models..

Good work buddy always a pleasure to look at your threads.

Dave:wave:

Back