n1kcy’s 52 for 2023 - Weeks 52 Favourite Image of 2023 (cc always welcome)

Week 12 Tunnel

20230328-FXT45599.jpg
20230328-FXT45596.jpg

I'll leave you all guessing on these for a while....

Impressive and very different.
If you held the wand (?) by hand you are very steady.

Nice round thingy pictures, both good - prefer the first.
Is it done by magic?

Well that's very nice, and not a clue how you did it (which adds something to the image for me)

Pattern - nice mono image, fits the theme well. Well done for finding something under the circumstances
Tunnel - two fab shot, absoloutely no idea what or how!

A light on a wheel?

I'll leave that as my last guess as I'll be here all night :LOL:
Got it in two, well done.

Nice round thingy pictures, both good - prefer the first.
Is it done by magic?

Interesting and effective! Curious to find out how? I prefer your chosen image, less busy.

Well that's very nice, and not a clue how you did it (which adds something to the image for me)

Pattern - nice mono image, fits the theme well. Well done for finding something under the circumstances
Tunnel - two fab shot, absoloutely no idea what or how!

Great tunnel shots. Second one for me, but both good.

Great effect, also prefer the second on, Tell us how Now!
IMG_2718(1).JPG
It's a string of led lights taped to the rim of a bicycle wheel. The handle/shaft is an exact length to enable light domes to be created when it is on the ground, and the bearings are greased to allow the wheel to spin very freely. In the tunnel image, I started with the wheel almonst touching the camera then started spinning the wheel, then triggered the camera and walked away backwards and off to one side.

Week 13 Spring

20230403-FXT45648.jpg

Created in camera. XT4 handheld with 10-24mm lens, set at 10mm.
f/22 to get star burst effect on sun, ISO 160, 1/340 shot in Aperture priority with -3 EV to epose for the sky (which has been lighten a little via Lightroom). Then off camera flash on 1/1 power in a metal reflector with grid added to light the daffodil.
Hardest part was finding a daffodil that wasn't too ragged, that I could get close enough too and had an unobstructed view/outline against the sky.

Awesome :)

Beautiful shot. A lot of work to get it, but it's paid off.

Beautiful, nice work :)
Thanks
Thanks
It's a great image.

If I was struggling to find the right daff, I'd have been tempted to pick a beautiful one from somewhere else and hold it in the right place. ;)
I considered it, but I'm trying to prevent my 3yr old from picking all the flowers so couldn't really set such a bad example in front of her lol.

Stunning image. Well worth the effort.
Thanks
Beautiful shot. A lot of work to get it, but it's paid off.
Thanks
That's a great shot. Excellent composition with the sunburst peaking out from behind the daff (y)
Thanks, I tried it in a few different places but the overlapping one stood out as the best.
Excellent shot.. great starburst.
Thanks

Great use of backlighting and flare Nicky, I like it a lot.

Have to agree with everyone its a nice image you have used the difficult light to great effect.

Great use of backlighting and flare Nicky, I like it a lot.
Thanks, once you've mastered the technique, it's a handy one to pull out now and again.

Have to agree with everyone its a nice image you have used the difficult light to great effect.
Thank you, got to make the most of the sun when we get it

Very nice image and good to read how you set it up.
Thanks, always happy to share my setup info; I've learnt everything I know off other people after all.

A really creative take on the theme Nicky. It works well.

Very Smooth Nicky, not something I have to do

Pete
lol, it's a pain for sure.

Good idea and a good angle Nicky.
Thanks, I was trying to bring the viewer into the picture.

A really creative take on the theme Nicky. It works well.
Thanks, it was hard to think of something that no one else had done.
Nice take on theme, brave using a camera with soapy hands :LOL:
Ta, taken on an iphone which are supposedly water resistant...?? Luckily I didn't have to find out.

Week 5 Snappers choice
20230414-FXT45839.jpg
I'm doing a 365 monthly theme challenge with some other togger friends and for April the theme is Looking Up, so I get double use from this image.
Prefocused on the bubble wand held at arms length, locked into manual focus, had camera on high continous shooting, and just kept dipping the wand into the solution and extending my arm up to the sky, the wind did the rest.

Smooth - nicely shot, but some risk/reward there with potential to drop the camera!
Snapper's Choice. Lovely shot - the reflections in the bubble add to the image.

Snapper’s choice is a nice shot and good to read how it was done. Like the reflections and how you have coordinated the blue of the wand with the sky

Smooth is really nicely done - The crisp edges to where the razor has passed are great.

Your bubble is another stand out image - great blue and crisp edges to the bubble itself. Wasn't sure if the reflection adds or not. I think the fact you can make out what's there does add something.

Last edited:
Snappers choice is a very cool shot, love the reflections in the bubble and colours.
Thanks

Smooth - nicely shot, but some risk/reward there with potential to drop the camera!
Snapper's Choice. Lovely shot - the reflections in the bubble add to the image.
Smooth was taken on my iphone (supposedly water resistant!).

Snapper’s choice is a nice shot and good to read how it was done. Like the reflections and how you have coordinated the blue of the wand with the sky
Coordination of colours was something that never crossed my mind lol. My 3yr old issued mummy with the blue wand so maybe she was ahead of me there :)

Thats really creative, the reflections really add to the picture too.
Funny, I never really noticed the reflections until ater I'd downloaded the images.

Smooth is really nicely done - The crisp edges to where the razor has passed are great.

Your bubble is another stand out image - great blue and crisp edges to the bubble itself. Wasn't sure if the reflection adds or not. I think the fact you can make out what's there does add something.
Thank you.

Nice one Nicky, I also appreciated your commentary on how you captured the shot.

Back