weekly CatClick's 52 week challenge - 2022

Good strong black background which makes the subject pop.
One point to consider when shooting against single colour backgrounds, especially black, is that the subject can sometimes appear to float.
Often fixed using a fake reflection...
However, I *think* there is a slight shadow under the pages (unless it's an illusion) and that's enough to ground the book to my eyes.

However, I *think* there is a slight shadow under the pages (unless it's an illusion) and that's enough to ground the book to my eyes.
Thanks Tim. I was very conscious of trying to make sure there was enough light to make a shadow, perhaps needs to be stronger? Just a plain black sheet.

Yep - nicely ticked is the box :)

Week 2 Old Trees & Tech
I must admit, I'm not a lover of ICM, maybe it is just I don't have the hang of it. Occasionally I have seen one I like, I think it is maybe just not my thing. However, that is this box ticked.
2022-01-16 414.jpg

Last edited:
Old trees work. And a good effort at ICM - the lines have held well. I'm still to try ICM, so quite nervous about trying it!

I like it Catherine, good colours, well processed. Makes the viewer wonder what it is.

I’m with you, not a fan of ICM, it needs a very special situation or interpretation and can easily feel like trying it for the sake of it so I’m not looking forward to doing that challenge. Goodwood Hotel is full of Lord March’s ICM monochrome trees, not particularly keen on them either. He often uses only a small amount of ICM which can work.

Yep that works well ;)

I think that makes a nice abstract shot. The colour blend of the tree trunks is lovely against the blue sky.

That's a nice shot and most definitely a receptacle. Nice take on the theme. Was there any option to get just a little wider and get both arches fully in?

Was there any option to get just a little wider and get both arches fully in?
Unfortunately not. There were signs and too many other distractions (and I don't think they would have taken kindly to me moving them :ROFLMAO: ). This was also the best viewpoint as there were even more distraction from other angles. I just popped in to take a look but will definitely go back with a tripod.

Bang on theme, but if you could have just taken half a step to the left, everything would have been nicely lined up.

Week 4 - Bottle
An exercise in trying to photograph glass without reflections. Helped by the fact I have lights in the bottle - yes, there is a crack in the bottle, happened when drilling the hole to put the lights in. A few textures added for a bit of practice.
Week 4 - Bottle.jpg

Last edited:
Would have made a great product shot (except for the crack... :) ). I like it.

Back