Name that Actor, please.

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I know this is probably going to be a long shot, but I am going to give it a go anyway. You will have to excuse me, but it is just the way my mind works. Once I get something in my brain, I can't shrug it off, till I find the answer. I love old British tv series and films, from the 1950s to about the 1980s. I often watch clips on YouTube, and keep a note of what I want to watch. Now and again a tv series or an actor flash into my mind, for some weird reason, and I have to look up the actor or the tv series on IMDB.

A little while ago an actor flashed into my mind, and I tried to do a search, by simply posting UK actors 1960s and 80s etc, and simply looking at the photo results. This was just so tedious, and I did not find them that way. Anyway, I managed to forget all about searching for the actor, until the other day, when he flashed back into my mind.

Trouble is, I can't remember what tv series or films he was in. Only thing I can remember him being in, is an advert. So, here is the longshot question. Does anybody remember the advert, where a man is watching his neighbour and family load up the car or caravan, as they are going off for a break. At the end when they are nearly finished loading up, the man is about to say "everything but the kitchen sink", when one of them does actually come out with the kitchen sink.

It the man who is watching, that I am trying to find the name of. I can't even remember when the ad was aired, 1980s or 1990s maybe. :thinking:

Maybe what kind of people did he play? What sort of films/series?

Maybe what kind of people did he play? What sort of films/series?

Probably a sort of cross between the two. As I say the only thing a can remember he was in, and that was the advert I was on about above.

I remember him being on tv mainly in the 1970s, he was in boring mundane things, the sort of stuff I like. I could see him in things like, A Taste Of Honey and The L Shaped Room ( edit)

Last edited:
Would the ad have been advertising caravans or something else?

Would the actor have been well known/familiar to most viewers at the time of the ad? (Which I think I might very vaguely remember).

Geoffrey Palmer.........................perhaps?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0658244/

PS apart from his film & TV film filmography I think I recall seeing him in various adverts???

Nope not him, but thanks.

Nope not him either, although in the description I would have said he plays an upper class git cad type, had it been Nigel Havers. ;) Thanks for the try though.

This actor I am not sure, but he has sort of a Northerner air about him, though I suppose he could well be a Southerner. He also puts me in mind of a sort of Leonard Rossiter type, possibly playing slimy boring dullard types.

Would the ad have been advertising caravans or something else?

Would the actor have been well known/familiar to most viewers at the time of the ad? (Which I think I might very vaguely remember).

It may not have been advertising caravans. It may have even been a public information film I remember him in. Something like get up and go maybe. There are a couple of get up and go adverts on YouTube, but not the ones with the actor in.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies so far, sorry to be taxing all your brains, it must be doing peoples heads in. :confused:

Again just to sum up, the actor is not a tough Stanley Baker type, but more of a Leonard Rossiter type, who would play greasy oily rising damp Rigsby style people. If my memory is correct that is. :)

Any idea of how old he would have been in the films and adverts in the 70's / 80's?

Well, with so little to go on...........................

Do any of these faces ring a bell???

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls000052751/

Not all from the right era but many are..........................and maybe one is the 'one' you seek???

I usually find in these cases the best thing is to stop looking/thinkig about it and the suddenly comes, maybe next day. Though in my case forgotten thing/name/face never looks like what I thought it did ;) if you see what I mean.

I Tell You It's Burt Reynolds ...

HaHa ... that was him .... Leonard Rossiter . .. classic. :giggle:

Back