NEED HELP PRICING A WEDDING

Edit My Images
Yes
View attachment 6723 View attachment 6724 View attachment 6725 View attachment 6726 View attachment 6727 Alright guys I need some advice. I got asked by a friend to photograph his wedding but I have NO CLUE what to charge for one, I have only photographed 2 other weddings (which I think 1 turned out great, and my clients loved so thats what matters) Anyways I will have to travel 200-250 miles and get a room (so gotta factor that in) I don't want to charge for a certain amount of hours b/c I still have learning to do and so sometimes I can be a little slow to make sure I have all the perfect shots. I attached some of the wedding I did. I know there are things I could have done better and I can still fix some in editing, but this was 2 years ago, I have learned A lot since this and I know what I would do different.
Anyways Wedding Details
May 31st
200 miles possible 1 way travel
100 guest
12 in wedding party.

Here is some of the images from the Wedding I did.

Last edited:
You've got to work out what this is going to cost you and I mean everything, travel, accommodation, tax, kit, even utilities, then once you've that figure, add on how much you want to make for the time your expecting to spend on the job, pre wedding, wedding day and post wedding and you'll have your figure...

On a forum note, please don't adjust the default font size for standard text, it makes it damn hard to read

This sounds like a favour for a friend, more than a business decision. So, just have a chat with your friend and come to an agreement that you are both happy with.

You've shot two weddings, one turned out great. That gives you a 50% hit rate so far, yes you may have improved a lot since then - but it doesn't give you a great base to start charging from.

From the images you've posted, and bearing in mind that I haven't seen any of your work in the last two years - I would suggest using this as another learning experience if your friend is happy for you to shoot their wedding. Get them to put you up for the night and feed you, give them the photos as a gift.

I agree with James on the not charging/gaining experience front, but I also wouldn't be travelling 250 miles to a friends wedding if I hadn't been invited either.

I think you may get more useful input if you ask this in the business section of the forum.

To be honest, I'm a little unsure of if specific pricing assistance from UK pro's would be of much use to someone in the USA - also, lets face it, it's a big country, and travelling distance is approached with a different attitude over in the US to here - lets face it 250 miles from home would cover half the country for me, whereas in a country where you measure distances in days, it's not quite the same.

As to your actual Question Lesleigh, I think frankly I'd echo James on this one... Shoot it for Experience, Gift them the Images and whatever else you do, Try to enjoy Your Friends Wedding Day.

Friend or facebook-friend? It kind of echoes Paul's statement about whether you've been sent an invite. A genuine friend would surely send the invite, and then take you out for a meal to suggest that they'd love it if you could do the photographs for them because they love your style - they'd also offer to cover the accommodation costs, knowing how much being the photographer would put a crimp on your enjoyment of the event,leaving it to you to decide how much of the printing/album costs you want to provide as a wedding gift.

If you're considering charging from the outset, how good a friend? - if the answer is "not that good a friend" it's time to brush up your latent business/project planning skills and put together a budget from scratch, covering every cost and eventuality (remembering insurance, etc.). And realistically, you've about two weeks maximum to do this. Take any longer and you're backing them into a corner for an alternative - although, if you've only just been asked you can be fairly certain you're second choice at best, and probably third or fourth choice after others have either quoted more than your friend wants to hear or already let them down. Unless your friend is the type to leave organising major life events to the last minute.

500 miles travel, food and hotel are the basic expenses. You must know what they are.

Then add insurance, gear wear and tear costs for a day. Then think about your time (wedding day + editing (2-5d)). Are you OK with minimum wage or would you rather charge more in line with your job or more?
Your friend probably thinks you get perfect images out of camera, and the working time is actually the sum of shutter speeds, so you may need to educate them.

Don't forget to make a contract and enter a clear agreement with friend. Many of the so called "friend" weddings come back to seriously bite the photographers.

Heres my take. i would think that the couple have made enquires and found that it is expensive for what they want. so lets ask a friend and see if we can get cheaper.
Now it amazes me how much people spend on a wedding but when it comes to photography they want it cheap, it is the only record you will have of the day in years to come. rant over
I would look at what locals charge then you have to add your travel charges. my guess would be $3000 - 4000 depending on how they wanted them presented and the cost of travel

You've got to work out what this is going to cost you and I mean everything, travel, accommodation, tax, kit, even utilities, then once you've that figure, add on how much you want to make for the time your expecting to spend on the job, pre wedding, wedding day and post wedding and you'll have your figure...

On a forum note, please don't adjust the default font size for standard text, it makes it damn hard to read

Sorry about that hun! I am new to this site. The small font is harder for me to read. lol :)

This sounds like a favour for a friend, more than a business decision. So, just have a chat with your friend and come to an agreement that you are both happy with.

You've shot two weddings, one turned out great. That gives you a 50% hit rate so far, yes you may have improved a lot since then - but it doesn't give you a great base to start charging from.

From the images you've posted, and bearing in mind that I haven't seen any of your work in the last two years - I would suggest using this as another learning experience if your friend is happy for you to shoot their wedding. Get them to put you up for the night and feed you, give them the photos as a gift.[/quote

I guess that was what I had to figure out, Although he is a friend, I would say a distant friend, therefore I need to set aside the friend part and realize it is a Business decision.

I agree with James on the not charging/gaining experience front, but I also wouldn't be travelling 250 miles to a friends wedding if I hadn't been invited either.

I have not been invited, I would not say we are that kind of friends, we use to be (LONG STORY) but My husband told him about his wives affair and I knew the details so by the end I am the one who confirmed it. So kind of distant friends I hope that makes sense

Hah, yeah good point, me neither. Depends how much you want the experience / folio I suppose.

I do REALLY want the experience and folio that is why I do not want to charge to much but also do not want to charge to little and it label me as the Cheap photographer

Friend or facebook-friend? It kind of echoes Paul's statement about whether you've been sent an invite. A genuine friend would surely send the invite, and then take you out for a meal to suggest that they'd love it if you could do the photographs for them because they love your style - they'd also offer to cover the accommodation costs, knowing how much being the photographer would put a crimp on your enjoyment of the event,leaving it to you to decide how much of the printing/album costs you want to provide as a wedding gift.

If you're considering charging from the outset, how good a friend? - if the answer is "not that good a friend" it's time to brush up your latent business/project planning skills and put together a budget from scratch, covering every cost and eventuality (remembering insurance, etc.). And realistically, you've about two weeks maximum to do this. Take any longer and you're backing them into a corner for an alternative - although, if you've only just been asked you can be fairly certain you're second choice at best, and probably third or fourth choice after others have either quoted more than your friend wants to hear or already let them down. Unless your friend is the type to leave organizing major life events to the last minute.

Well Dave that is kind of a hard answer, lol we are more than fb friends but not close friends. As I mentioned in another comment I am the one who confirmed his now ex-wives affair, so it kind of changed a lot for both of us, so now we are more facebook friends but even more so because I moved back home and no longer live near him.

I agree that t is defiantly time I brush up on my business plan and put together some packages and budget ideas! I do not think they have talked to any other photographers, they just got engaged in Dec (end of)

I am just so unsure and what not.

500 miles travel, food and hotel are the basic expenses. You must know what they are.

Then add insurance, gear wear and tear costs for a day. Then think about your time (wedding day + editing (2-5d)). Are you OK with minimum wage or would you rather charge more in line with your job or more?
Your friend probably thinks you get perfect images out of camera, and the working time is actually the sum of shutter speeds, so you may need to educate them.

Don't forget to make a contract and enter a clear agreement with friend. Many of the so called "friend" weddings come back to seriously bite the photographers.

That is why I plan to have it a contract deal, the pictures from the above wedding I attached are from a friends wedding and it ruined 17 years of friendship b/c she was a huge Bridezilla and everything turned horrible, and that is why I am being professional.

Heres my take. i would think that the couple have made enquires and found that it is expensive for what they want. so lets ask a friend and see if we can get cheaper.
Now it amazes me how much people spend on a wedding but when it comes to photography they want it cheap, it is the only record you will have of the day in years to come. rant over
I would look at what locals charge then you have to add your travel charges. my guess would be $3000 - 4000 depending on how they wanted them presented and the cost of travel

I do not know if they have contacted anyone else, The day they posted the picture of their wedding announcement on FB, I commented on it and said Jamie if you need a photographer let me know. He responded with He had thought about asking me but wasn't sure if I would travel that far b/c it was in North Alabama, I commented back with. lol Well have camera will travel. If you would like to talk with me about it feel free to msg me, so later on he sent me a msg asking me about doing it and what I charge.

Whatever you do; make sure you get it all in writing (a simple agreement / contract). He sounds like an acquaintance rather than a friend, which is were things can get ugly if something doesn't go 100% to plan. (y)

Just as another quick note on forum usability - if you click quote on multiple posts, it will add them all to your reply. You can then separate them in your reply post and respond to many people at once. Saves you having to make a lot of posts in a row (which floods people's notifications).

Whatever you do; make sure you get it all in writing (a simple agreement / contract). He sounds like an acquaintance rather than a friend, which is were things can get ugly if something doesn't go 100% to plan. (y)

Just as another quick note on forum usability - if you click quote on multiple posts, it will add them all to your reply. You can then separate them in your reply post and respond to many people at once. Saves you having to make a lot of posts in a row (which floods people's notifications).

Jay Thank you. I have seen that done but was not sure how to do it! :) I do have a wedding contract that I plan to put into play. I received some advice from another forum that I should get my website back up post my wedding images and post a pricing page and then direct him there and possibly go down a little so He see's he is getting a deal.

I think the crux of the pricing issue here is 'value'. Pardon my bluntness.

I appreciate you're saying that you produce better work 'now', but why would a customer pay travel and accommodation, on top of a reasonable price for work they could get from hundreds of local inexpensive photographers.

For a destination type job I'd expect someone to be hiring 'unique' and a cut above the local competition.

So the only way you become good value is underpricing your work, which is fine if you really want the job.

As a note..

If you would normally charge $3000 and did it for free that is a $3000 wedding gift...

as an amateur (UK) that's done similar, remember to look after your expenses.
so travel and accommodation, yes...but what about insurance? I now have PI and PL insurance on the basis of a recent "helping out a nice person I know on the cheap" basis.
if you are semi-pro/part-time and shooter for any sort of pay or covered costs then in England, you need PI/PL insurance to be on the safe side.
Factor that into your costs too and look after yourself. :)

I think the crux of the pricing issue here is 'value'. Pardon my bluntness.

I appreciate you're saying that you produce better work 'now', but why would a customer pay travel and accommodation, on top of a reasonable price for work they could get from hundreds of local inexpensive photographers.

For a destination type job I'd expect someone to be hiring 'unique' and a cut above the local competition.

So the only way you become good value is underpricing your work, which is fine if you really want the job.

PHIL Blunt is good. I Like Blunt, I am a very blunt, cute throat to the point kind of person. and Yes I agree Value is the issue b/c that is my biggest down fall, I don't really know my value. On another note though, I have done a research of the small area and can only locate 6 photographers and I have seen that only 2 of them photograph weddings, one of them seems to be more of a landscape photographer! In comparison I would rate my work up to theirs and Their starting package range from 1300-1500 which Is around what I was planning to quote him.

I guess My biggest problem is my value, but also I was going to take a 2nd shooter so that I could make sure not to miss anything and I am paying that photographer. I am thinking to that I will show him the 3 packages I have and offer a 500 discount.

As a note..

If you would normally charge $3000 and did it for free that is a $3000 wedding gift...

Well I have a few packages created First is 999 2nd 1599 and 3rd 1999 (that I created a few months back by approached by a potential client) I was thinking of showing him 2nd and 3rd and offering 500 off.

as an amateur (UK) that's done similar, remember to look after your expenses.
so travel and accommodation, yes...but what about insurance? I now have PI and PL insurance on the basis of a recent "helping out a nice person I know on the cheap" basis.
if you are semi-pro/part-time and shooter for any sort of pay or covered costs then in England, you need PI/PL insurance to be on the safe side.
Factor that into your costs too and look after yourself. :)

DizMatt I do plan to inquire and obtain insurance for the event. :)

Last edited:
As I've mentioned before i don't believe in mates rates - if someone is a good friend then I'd do the job for free - i'd be travelling to their wedding anyway so i wouldn't factor in the expenses (although as a good mate they might decide to pay my hotel bills or give me a present or whatever to say thanks but that would be their call)

If they arent a good mate, but "someone who used to be freinds with my partner but arent anymore who we sometimes talk to on facebook" (see also people i was at school with, distant family, ex girlfreinds, freinds of friends, work colleagues etc) then sorry but they pay the full rate - including travelling expenses if applicable - if that makes me uneconomic because they are 500 miles away then that's tough... hire someone more local then, sorry

You say you are thinking of offering $500 off - if you weren't a photographer would you give them 500 dollar wedding present ? - if the answer to that is no, then don't give it as a discount either would be my call

Last edited:
As I've mentioned before i don't believe in mates rates - if someone is a good friend then I'd do the job for free - i'd be travelling to their wedding anyway so i wouldn't factor in the expenses (although as a good mate they might decide to pay my hotel bills or give me a present or whatever to say thanks but that would be their call)

If they arent a good mate, but "someone who used to be freinds with my partner but arent anymore who we sometimes talk to on facebook" (see also people i was at school with, distant family, ex girlfreinds, freinds of friends, work colleagues etc) then sorry but they pay the full rate - including travelling expenses if applicable - if that makes me uneconomic because they are 500 miles away then that's tough... hire someone more local then, sorry

You say you are thinking of offering $500 off - if you weren't a photographer would you give them 500 dollar wedding present ? - if the answer to that is no, then don't give it as a discount either would be my call

Thank You Moose! I agree with you

Alright guys. So just in case you all are curious. I sent them my Pricing today! It took a lot for me to come to this pricing, but after looking over prices for their area and including everything I sent him this
Wedding Pricing Package A: $899 4 hours of coverage CD of high resolution images with License to Print (100 edited photos) Travel 50 miles or less

Package B: $1599 Up to 6 hours of coverage Online Web Gallery to view & order photos CD of high resolution images with License to Print (250 edited photos)

Package C: $1999 All day coverage (up to 8 hours) Additional photographer Online Web Gallery to view & order photos CD of high resolution images with rights (400 edited photos) Engagement Session w/ cd of high resolution images with rights (100 edited photos) Additional Hours: $200 Online Web Gallery: $500 100 edited photos: $200 Additional Photographer: $500 Engagement Session w/ CD of 100 edited images: $500 Travel Expenses Depend on Mileage and Hotel Cost Mileage 0.75c a mile

Also told him that I was bringing a 2nd shooter (normally would cost 500) and That I was not charging extra travel expenses or mileage. I was going to take it out of the package price of Package B or C (estimated about 200, if just calculating for just gas and hotel) so me losing 650-700 off my profit.

Needless to say! He DID confirm I was not the only one they talked to ( for those who thought he might have)
Anyways this is his reply

Jamie: Oh wow. Lesleigh I'll be completely honest with you. We have had several quotes around here that were a lot less expensive. We even had someone tell us they would do it for $350. Spending this much on wedding photos definitely wasn't n my budget. I'm sorry Lesleigh, but I just can't do any of these packages. I hate that you went through all that time just for me to tell you no. I apologize for that, but there is no way I can afford paying this much. We r just having a small wedding on an even smaller budget. Lol. Again Lesleigh, I am sorry and you know if I had the money I once had I would hire you in a heartbeat. Unfortunately that's gone and I'm paying for this wedding out of my pocket. I'm sorry Lesleigh.

THEN HE THREW THIS IN!
Jamie: I'm still gonna send you guys an invitation. I would love to see you guys here. Aubrey would love to c u as well. I know its a long drive, but if u can make it then it'd b nice.

I kind of expected some sort of reason why they couldn't use me, I guess he wanted a BIGGER discount! I did check the area for other photographers and everyone of them prices Started at 1300 So I still stick firm to my price d feel like it was a fair price considering I would be taking 650-700 out of it to pay the 2nd shooter and to cover my gas and hotel.

Anyways. On another note I did get my website up and my pricing IS NOW on it and so for now on I wont have to go through this stress! :( Thanks for every ones input and comments!

Last edited:
Well done, Lesleigh (y)

I'd accept the invitation as a guest and not take any camera gear with me = no problem! :)

THEN HE THREW THIS IN!
Jamie: I'm still gonna send you guys an invitation. I would love to see you guys here. Aubrey would love to c u as well. I know its a long drive, but if u can make it then it'd b nice.

I kind of expected some sort of reason why they couldn't use me, I guess he wanted a BIGGER discount! I did check the area for other photographers and everyone of them prices Started at 1300 So I still stick firm to my price d feel like it was a fair price considering I would be taking 650-700 out of it to pay the 2nd shooter and to cover my gas and hotel.

Sound plan - I wouldn't say anything further about it, he's using someone else deal done - no need to feel guilty or pressured to lower your price

one note if you attend as a guest I'd be inclined to leave the DSLR at home so you don't wind up being an uncle bob, and theres no expectation that you'll provide shots as you are there as a guest so your role is to be in the pictures, get drunk and leave early with a completely unsuitable member of the oposite sex .

Well done, Lesleigh (y)

I'd accept the invitation as a guest and not take any camera gear with me = no problem! :)

LOL I responded apologizing that it was not low enough, that I did cut corners by 650-700 and that I understood etc. I then said I would love to be there and would love to see them that I miss them and I left it at that! IF I get an invite (he hasn't asked for an address yet) then I will attend and will not as much as even take my cell phone. lol.

Sound plan - I wouldn't say anything further about it, he's using someone else deal done - no need to feel guilty or pressured to lower your price

one note if you attend as a guest I'd be inclined to leave the DSLR at home so you don't wind up being an uncle bob, and theres no expectation that you'll provide shots as you are there as a guest so your role is to be in the pictures, get drunk and leave early with a completely unsuitable member of the oposite sex .

Moose Totally AGREE! I DEF will NOT be taking any camera gear with me and if asked then I will speak on it! I asked him from the get go his budget and he would not give me one, told me to give him my price and we would go from there. If he had just told me from the damn get go he had someone offer to do it for 350 I could have told him that he needed to go with them, that I could not do it for that low. I do not have a lot of wedding work under my belt which is why I struggle with pricing but I know that I am not doing it for 150 (which what i would make after travel expenses)!

to be honest even $350 sounds low - I don't know what the going rate is on your side of the pond (i'd hazard a guess that theres a big variation by state) but that is £210 sterling which in the uk would be insanely low for a proffesional (although you do get people charging that little or less - they often arent very good though)

I'm a part timer but the lowest i'd go for a full day would be £750 (that's 1250 USD) and that doesnt include travel expenses and accomodation or a second shooter - and many full time pros would charge a K or more, so your prices seem reasonable to me

Judging by those photos I wouldn't charge him a thing.

The rings are out of focus, and the processing is well, let just say not to my taste. If these are the pick of your wedding photos I don't think you are ready to charge to shoot a wedding.

I'm shooting a wedding for a friend I've told him I don't think I'm good enough but he seems to think so, I told him I'll do my best and won't charge a penny but he has to realise I'm not a pro and results may vary. IMHO if you can't guarantee pro results don't charge pro prices.

to be honest even $350 sounds low - I don't know what the going rate is on your side of the pond (i'd hazard a guess that theres a big variation by state) but that is £210 sterling which in the uk would be insanely low for a proffesional (although you do get people charging that little or less - they often arent very good though)

I'm a part timer but the lowest i'd go for a full day would be £750 (that's 1250 USD) and that doesnt include travel expenses and accomodation or a second shooter - and many full time pros would charge a K or more, so your prices seem reasonable to me

Thank you. I def felt my price was fair and when compared to other photographers that I felt matched my skill level there starting rate was 1300, So I feel confident in my decision. A little sad b/c I would have liked the exposure and experience to add to my portfolio but It is obvious now after learning he spoke with others that he was just hoping for a free photographer or cheaper than 350 and truthfully that is what I am more annoyed at, If he had stated he had someone at 350 then I would have known from the get go my playing field and would have been able to factor in whether or not I wanted to go that low for the Portfolio, but now I just feel going that low will make me look desperate so I am leaving it a lone! I will BOOK the next one :D

Judging by those photos I wouldn't charge him a thing.

The rings are out of focus, and the processing is well, let just say not to my taste. If these are the pick of your wedding photos I don't think you are ready to charge to shoot a wedding.

I'm shooting a wedding for a friend I've told him I don't think I'm good enough but he seems to think so, I told him I'll do my best and won't charge a penny but he has to realise I'm not a pro and results may vary. IMHO if you can't guarantee pro results don't charge pro prices.

If you can't guantee acceptable results you shouldnt be covering a wedding at all paid or unpaid in my opinion (at least not as first camera) - my advice to you would be to get something in writing with your freind confirming that he understands what he's getting (not a contract as you can't have a contract without a consideration, but at least an agreement) Its amazing how many friendships go south when wedding photos turn out sub par - I think threads on that on here must be in double figures at least.

As regards Lesleighs photo's she didnt ask for crit and this isnt a crit thread so I refrained from commenting - also i think we have to remember that the US market may be different to the uk on processing tastes as regards colour popping and such - I do agree that the rings are a tad soft , although its amazing how much this kind of thing goes unnoticed by non photographers... ages ago I did my sisters wedding and I remember her looking over my shoulder while i was processing and going "oh I love that one"... and me saying "erm , thats the rejects folder"

Pete, professional has one single f and one double s mate..............;)

I'll have another word and reiterate, they don't have lots of money and I am assuming they are trying to save money. I know I'll get at at minimum passable results I'm confident in gear and my technical knowledge but concerned about a lack of experience, having never shot a wedding before and usually too drunk to notice what any photographers are doing at any i've been too!

I'm confident in gear and my technical knowledge but concerned about a lack of experience, having never shot a wedding before and usually too drunk to notice what any photographers are doing at any i've been too!

The biggest problem is usually crowd control - this goes double when the half cut posse see you as one of them , not as 'the proffesional' - my advice would be

- don't try and build up to the everybody shot - by that point half the guests will have got bored and gone to the bar , do the everybody shot first and then pare down to just B&G
- Get the ushers to help you assemble groups and stuff (or the mother of the bride), basically someone who won't get told to eff off and who will recognise great aunt flo
- don't ask groups to say 'cheese' it don't work - best bet is to maker them laugh (one option is to get them to shout 'wheres my pig' and then shoot imediately afterwards while they are giggling) also with a group where you know someone won't take offence you can try "lift your chin madam, and the other one" - don't try this with strangers
- Don't try to stop uncle bobs from shooting its pointless and they won't , instead ask them to give you first dibs on a group then give them time to shoot. If someone is a complete pain in the ass ask an usher or the best man to have a quiet word , don't bother the B&G with such issues.
- try and get about half and hour minimum with the B&G away from the guests - that gives you some uncle bob free time to nail the must haves
- get a list from the B&G of the shots they want (and also any must have info like that the brides parents are divorced and shouldn't be photographed together)
- change cards and batteries and go to the toilet during the wedding breakfast - don't eat with the guests as this is the only down time you'll get in the day , make sure you are back for the cake cutting and speeches though.
- check with the venue/celebrant what the rules are on shooting during the service and respect them (expect at minimum no flash, minimum of moving about)
- bottom line you can be the photographer or a guest but not both, so if you are the photographer getting half cut and hitting on the bridesmaids isn't an option (although i was once at a wedding where the tog got absolutely smahed and passed out on the lawn of the venue , leaving me to shoot the first dance with a compact)

Back