NEST OF WORMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will only reply to further posts in this thread that are constructive and can lead to understanding.

The posts\views here remind me of a political debate between excellent speakers or Parliamentary question time when members mention a topic and you think "that's a good point" and the reply is oh wait "that's a good answer" . I could like most of them, but nice to hear different views rather than being a "yes I agree" to every view or cameras or formats or shots etc etc "....... person

Yet, that’s how your posts came across, which is why I said that conveying thoughts via a text only forum is challenging. (I’ve been speaking to Gareth via text).

I had no expectation that Gareth would react to my post in that way, it came as an unwelcome surprise. I replied to his post at face value. I made no special concessions for the sub forum nor the writer. I considered none to be necessary. I know nothing about the background of Gareth nor any special circumstances that would require special treatment. Clearly it is a sub forum that has become a tinder box.
Give my regards to Gareth I wish him well.

Last edited:
I had no expectation that Gareth would react to my post in that way, it came as an unwelcome surprise. I replied to his post at face value. I made no special concessions for the sub forum nor the writer. I considered none to be necessary. I know nothing about the background of Gareth nor any special circumstances that would require special treatment. Clearly it is a sub forum that has become a tinder box.
Give my regards to Gareth I wish him well.

I fear that I’m also struggling to convey my point online.

The sub forum/poster is of little relevance, the context of the reply was the issue. If he’d written a post stating that he’d just played squash for the first time and really enjoyed it, then someone replied saying that tennis is much better, as they themselves previously played squash all their life and it was an inferior sport, it would be equally discourteous.

I think I’ve said everything I can in an effort to help you understand why Gareth, and many other forum members, took your posts as they did. Let’s move forward. Although, if you feel F&C is a tinderbox, I’d suggest steering clear of any of the political sub-forums!

From a wider view, the slides thread was just another example of a trend that has apparently become common in the last few weeks. Someone posts a "this looks interesting" or "this is rather fun", to be followed in short order with "why on earth would anyone do this" or "that gives a rubbish result". I've seen it done with slides, 10x8 portraits, Holga and Polaroid. That's just off the top of my head.

If we can't enjoy ourselves in our own way when it harms no one, why bother coming here?

I will only reply to further posts in this thread that are constructive and can lead to understanding.

I have no skin in this game-- in fact, this might be my first post on this forum. But you exhibit the classic signs of an internet troll:
  • Say something offensive
  • When people are offended, say they misunderstood
  • When people explain they understood, say they should have a thicker hide
  • When called on your BS, leave the conversation in a huff
If you had interest in understanding you'd have interest in figuring out how you managed to annoy so many people so quickly-- but what you really mean when you say "... can lead to understanding", is that you want people to understand why you were right and they were wrong.

Oh-- and the 40D was a lousy upgrade to the excellent 30D. ;)

PS: Film and Digital are both tools. Use the right tool for the right job.

Welcome John to what is arguably the "better" part of the forum ;)

As you say, use the right tool for the job....T'is why when my cameras won't suffice i come on here to find a suitable 'tool' ( ie one of the F&C Fusty & Crusty members :LOL:) to help me out :p

I fear that I’m also struggling to convey my point online.

The sub forum/poster is of little relevance, the context of the reply was the issue. If he’d written a post stating that he’d just played squash for the first time and really enjoyed it, then someone replied saying that tennis is much better, as they themselves previously played squash all their life and it was an inferior sport, it would be equally discourteous.

I think I’ve said everything I can in an effort to help you understand why Gareth, and many other forum members, took your posts as they did. Let’s move forward. Although, if you feel F&C is a tinderbox, I’d suggest steering clear of any of the political sub-forums!

Potentially Upsetting Texts.....
Do not read it sensitive about film.....

I often frequent the political forums. as it is one of my long term interests.
Mostly the are pussy cats in comparison.

I understand why they reacted the way that they did.
It is that they have become over sensitised to attacks.
and react like gang members who feel that they are not 'respected'
It is a well understood phenomenon,
but I was totally unaware it had taken hold anywhere here.
It is a natural reaction in groups that feel under stress.

I am sure everyone here feels nothing but respect for film workers.
Even if they do not necessarily share their views, nor see film with the same rose tinted glasses.
Film is not perfect, it does bare criticism.

Last edited:
I have no skin in this game-- in fact, this might be my first post on this forum. But you exhibit the classic signs of an internet troll:
  • Say something offensive
  • When people are offended, say they misunderstood
  • When people explain they understood, say they should have a thicker hide
  • When called on your BS, leave the conversation in a huff
If you had interest in understanding you'd have interest in figuring out how you managed to annoy so many people so quickly-- but what you really mean when you say "... can lead to understanding", is that you want people to understand why you were right and they were wrong.

Oh-- and the 40D was a lousy upgrade to the excellent 30D. ;)

May I offer some advice? Since you know neither the members here, nor have been part of recent forum activity, please keep your accusations of trolling to yourself for now. Become an active member, posting good content like all participants in this thread and your opinion will be more welcome.

Last edited:
Potentially Upsetting Texts.....
Do not read it sensitive about film.....

I often frequent the political forums. as it is one of my long term interests.
Mostly the are pussy cats in comparison.

I understand why they reacted the way that they did.
It is that they have become over sensitised to attacks.
and react like gang members who feel that they are not 'respected'
It is a well understood phenomenon,
but I was totally unaware it had taken hold anywhere here.
It is a natural reaction in groups that feel under stress.

I am sure everyone here feels nothing but respect for film workers.
Even if they do not necessarily share their views, nor see film with the same rose tinted glasses.
Film is not perfect, it does bare criticism.

Are you deliberately trolling or simply missing the point? Nobody is offended/attacked by criticism of film as a medium. It’s a thing, an object, a means to capture light. However, the original thread wasn’t a critique post, nor a “look at my work, isn’t it fantastic” statement. It was simply someone who tried something new (to them) and enjoyed it.

The fact you feel that Gareth was over-sensitive, suggests that you are aware of how your post came across as a criticism. Considering the average age of the F&C regulars, I can’t see many of them being “gang members”, or thinking like one [emoji23]

Now Terry's being picked on. I'm glad he has a thick skin! :LOL:

May I offer some advice? Since you know neither the members here, nor have been part of recent forum activity you keep your accusations of trolling to yourself for now. Become an active member, posting good content like all participants in this thread and your opinion will be more welcome.

To be fair, he did offer some good content:

ilm and Digital are both tools. Use the right tool for the right job

and his other comments were not off target tbh.

What are we on now, to rid ourselves of yet another newcomer.?

I think that maybe this thread could now do to be transfered to the OOF section of the forum as the content really is not in keeping with the typical light hearted banter that is seen in F&C

By contrast your views and choice of medium are nothing short of perfect and must be seen to be correct even if they aren't :rolleyes:

So far I have been given no good reason to change my 'Probably'
less than perfect views and understandings.

I have not had cause to use other than digital in recent times.
But am still sufficiently well equipped and qualified to do so, were the need to arise
Provided no larger than a 5 x 4 monorail was required.

My expectation is that no such need will arise.

I am not especially concerned how my views or choices are viewed.
But will consider any constructive alternatives.

Did you want to use the word "snowflakes" but did not want to offend.....................................

That indeed seems to be the current vernacular for a similar affliction, If Google is to be believed.
But I have no intention to offend anyone. Some seem more than able to do that for themselves.

I have no reason to blame or offend any film user about anything.

As you no doubt expect, some might be offended by both your own post and my circumspect reply.

MOD EDIT: if you wish to question moderation decisions kindly use the contact us option after your ban expires, do not comment in thread

Conduct and behaviour
  • Don't swear. Don't be offensive. Be polite. Don't bore everyone with drivel. Don't moan about moderation.
  • Post in English.
  • If you think someone needs to be reminded of the rules, report it to the mods and leave them to deal with it. If you retaliate then you'll be treated the same, regardless of who started it.
  • If a moderator posts with an instruction, don't ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator:
so long as your voice is heard upto the point that everyone agrees with you ......C'est ca?

Quelle con!

No doubt my voice will continue to be heard by those who want to hear it.
It is the nature of the web that words become persistent.
Whether anyone agrees or not.

Thank the lawd for that cos I am personally getting flirked off with your BS :)
By contrast your views and choice of medium are nothing short of perfect and must be seen to be correct even if they aren't :rolleyes:
so long as your voice is heard upto the point that everyone agrees with you ......C'est ca?

Quelle con!
Makes sense ....Not!
Tu deviens fatigant :rolleyes:

Anyone would think you were looking for an argument :LOL:

Anyone would think you were looking for an argument :LOL:

The juvenility of that list of comments. Is the reason it is impossible to be overly offended by them.
Even though they clearly constitute a personal attack.
They do not reflect well on the poster.

At the risk of stoking the fire... I've re-read Terry's post and I can't see what some people are getting upset about. It's an explanation of his viewpoint and it's polite. I happen to agree with much of what he wrote but even if I didn't I can't see any reason to take issue with it.

At the risk of stoking the fire... I've re-read Terry's post and I can't see what some people are getting upset about. It's an explanation of his viewpoint and it's polite. I happen to agree with much of what he wrote but even if I didn't I can't see any reason to take issue with it.
It was an explanation of his viewpoint and it was polite, and I've no doubt that no offence was intended, but it did kinda pi$$ all over gazz's enthusiasm for his new found love of slides...
I didn't think it would be a reason to leave TP though.

Last edited:

Thank you
I too have reread it a couple of times myself, and it is a good reflection of my views and at no time was an attack on anyone or any thing.
I find it almost impossible to see why it should have caused such a commotion.
But it seems the tinder was ready for any spark. I became the unfortunate catalyst.

Last edited:
I’m keeping well out of this, in fact I won’t even post in this thread :) :exit:

I’m keeping well out of this, in fact I won’t even post in this thread :) :exit:

To be honest, I think this thread pretty much ran it's appointed course after the initial post.

It's only ever going to descend further into more bickering, and probably result in someone else who's a F&C regular either also leaving, or being asked to do so. So, with that, I'm going to say one further thing and close this whole thing off...

I expect everyone to behave like the adults that your signup DOB's confirm that you most certainly all are... Please, no more of this, no carrying the arguments over into other theads, or starting new ones. I'm going to appeal to a few more "cool heads" to keep an eye on things, and RTM anything that is contrary to what i've asked - and I will take measures to ensure you realise I mean it when I say this crap stops now.

Film is good, Digital is good also, Taking photographs is good, Making Images that make people think, or care, or smile, or weep is Brilliant and Magical. Lets focus (you see what I did there) on the Brilliant and Magical folks...

with that, mind the doors...

Just to add one thing: while normally when I post in F&C i'm posting as "just another member", and I often join in the good natured banter - and - also care deeply about any percieved decline in the quality or friendliness of this section of the forum, I am also part of the staff, charged with ensuring that people stick to the rules of the forum, and, as such, while it upsets me greatly to have to treat grown adults as you would a small infant - there are basically 3 tools a my disposal - 1 giving people a "time out" on the naughty step. 2 banning them outright, either from a single thread or in extremis from the forum in total. 3. appealing to everyones better nature.

So far, In 2 related threads I've had to resort to 2 of these options - please don't shoot for a full house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back