Netbook for tethering/controlling camera?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I use a wheelchair, and the solution I am using to take photos, means I want to control the camera through software on a laptop/netbook.
I want to be able to alter settings such as iso, aperture, shutter speed, etc, through the laptop/netbook.

Currently I have a high spec laptop (i7, 16gb ram, 128gb ssd, 1tb hdd) for all the intensive tasks, however the battery life is awful, and i am wanting to take photos where i wont have access to power points.
I was hoping a sub £200 netbook would have the battery life (i've read 10-12 hours on some - which i assume means 6 or 8 hours in real life) and the capability to tether/control my camera?
A recommendation for a netbook and if this is even doable would be much appreciated.

The camera i will predominantly be using is a canon 60d, but will occasionally be using a nikon d810.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

It is not the computer that will tether and remotely
control the camera but an interface software like
Capture One Pro and Capture Pilot on an iPad that
would be the extended solution to your mobility

issue

I used to have software that worked on a tablet that did that a quick google bought up this (http://digicamcontrol.com/ ) but you can control a canon via USB with the canon software but from memory its a bit difficult to install on a netbook due to screen resolution

If your netbook runs Windoows, you can use Canon's free software EOS Utility which came with the camera or can be downloaded for free from Canon's web site. I cannot see why screen resolution should be a problem, although I have not tried it.

If your netbook runs Windoows, you can use Canon's free software EOS Utility which came with the camera or can be downloaded for free from Canon's web site. I cannot see why screen resolution should be a problem, although I have not tried it.

From memory it comes as part of the Canon EOS utility which needs a minimum screen resolution in order to install that is/was higher than the res of most netbooks.
It is some years since I tried it and things will have moved on ,its worth doing the homework as if it will work it answers the OP's question

I recall reading of this one http://dslrcontroller.com some time back.

Never tried it but did (does?) have good reviews

HTH

PS oooops! In the time it took me to check the site and copy it Chris beat me to it :)

Last edited:
I have DSLRController on my £150 Lenovo yoga3 10" tablet, tethered via a mobile hotspot, see their site for details, as my5d3 isn't controllable any other way. Haven't tried it in earnest but seems to work ok over a short distance. Tablet has phenomenal battery life. The s/w uses live view so you can also control focus point. You need to flash upgrade the additional hardware but it's easy enough if you follow the comprehensive instructions, not sure if you would need the additional hardware, I also control my 50d in the same way, using the same hardware/software.
Matt
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/wi-fi-linking-5d3-to-android-device.650032/

Last edited:
I have DSLRController on my £150 Lenovo yoga3 10" tablet, tethered via a mobile hotspot, see their site for details, as my5d3 isn't controllable any other way. Haven't tried it in earnest but seems to work ok over a short distance. Tablet has phenomenal battery life. The s/w uses live view so you can also control focus point. You need to flash upgrade the additional hardware but it's easy enough if you follow the comprehensive instructions, not sure if you would need the additional hardware, I also control my 50d in the same way, using the same hardware/software.
Matt
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/wi-fi-linking-5d3-to-android-device.650032/

:plus1: for the extended battery capacity of the Lenovo Yoga tablets. I was so impressed with my wife's that I bought one for myself when Argos had them on offer a couple of months ago. I haven't used mine to control the camera other than as a quick play (Fuji X-T 1 & 2) but it does work as a remote viewer and shutter button. I'm sure that there are pieces of software that will allow you to control most modern bodies, although you'd probably need an OTG (on the go) adaptor to allow you to plug in a full size USB plug.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
I have DSLR controller on my phone, but i find the phone difficult to hold for long periods, and it is actually quite hard to see on a screen that small.

I did think a tablet might be a solution. With those tablets, could i use a bluetooth keyboard? I find the screens on tablets too difficult to use, which is why i mentioned a netbook, but if I could use my bluetooth keyboard/touchpad then that would work in a similar manner.

For nikon, would controlmynikon or digiCamControl be suitable? Would either of these work on a tablet, or netbook?

Thanks again

Any suggestions would be really appreciated
:plus1: for the extended battery capacity of the Lenovo Yoga tablets. I was so impressed with my wife's that I bought one for myself when Argos had them on offer a couple of months ago. I haven't used mine to control the camera other than as a quick play (Fuji X-T 1 & 2) but it does work as a remote viewer and shutter button. I'm sure that there are pieces of software that will allow you to control most modern bodies, although you'd probably need an OTG (on the go) adaptor to allow you to plug in a full size USB plug.

How long does the battery last for? This seems like a good alternative too

Mine lasts all day without a problem, so realistically 12 hours of internet use would seem likely. No idea if you can get a bluetooth keyboard to work with it, either when tethered or not, but when in landscape mode the normal keyboard seems fine, although you dont actually have to touch the screen to activate it, close proximity seems enough.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated

How long does the battery last for? This seems like a good alternative too

12 hours of being awake. Unlike most tablets that are thin and flat, the Yoga has a significant bulge along a long edge which contains the battery. Another bonus for the thing is that it has a stand built in which makes it ideal for watching films on flights or in bed.

12 hours is definitely enough!
The Lenovo looks to work with bluetooth too, so hopefully would work with my keyboard.

The only thing now, is compatibility!

I have seen software called DSLR Dashboard, has anyone used this?

If this set up works, it would mean I can actually use my camera properly!!! This is definitely exciting!

Sorry to keep bumping the thread, just trying to get all the equipment I'll need so that I can build the rig this weekend.

Would a refurbished Ipad 2 work just as well? I have seen them online for £120-140. I just wondered if an apple OS (I have never owned an apple product before) would be more likely to run live view/camera controlling software than an android?
If not, the yoga looks like I should try it!

Looks like Android only, so Lenovo, cable and keyboard and you are good to go. Alternatively get a wi-fi module and go wirelessly remote.
Matt

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to update this thread as I purchased the Yoga, and have now used it and taken some photos!

I did a photoday last week, and used the lenovo a good 4 or 5 hours, and the battery was still over 50% at the end of the day, so it has proven itself to have the battery life!
I have updated my other thread here: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/recommendations-for-a-tripod-around-%C2%A350-60-to-hold-4-5kg.657511/ which has photos of my set up, and some photos I took using it.

Many thanks again

My wife and I are Yoga fans! We both have the Android tablets and now also have the multi format foldable laptop/netbooks as well. Oh, and Mrs Nod has her own Yoga studio too - but that predates the purchases!!!

Glad the recommendation proved to be suitable and that it's helping you to get out shooting. (y)

Back