Never knew.... Norway

Norway is an incredible country, hope others don't mind me sharing!

tromso37.jpg

And the same hotel with similar position the night before!

tromso34.jpg

Northern Light selfie with the wife!

tromso33.jpg

Tromso during the winter...about as high as the sun goes!

tromso16.jpg

We went in November last year for 4 days in Oslo & 3 days in Tromso...such a magical jaw-droppingly beautiful country. We have friends in Oslo who have offered for us to return at some point to go to their family cabin in the mountains for a long weekend. Naturally we're all over that!

Anyway, hope you enjoy, more can be found of Oslo and Tromso here - http://jacobellwood.co.uk/public/norway/

Some lovely ones here with range of time of day etc ~ as you are an Olympus MFT user I would welcome seeing the EXIF and also any comments as to your PP of the files...... TIA :)

Thanks!

Will be happy to share EXIF info and PP comments! Will get on this in the next few days.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Will be happy to share EXIF info and PP comments! Will get on this in the next few days.

OK, some exif info...
Some lovely ones here with range of time of day etc ~ as you are an Olympus MFT user I would welcome seeing the EXIF and also any comments as to your PP of the files...... TIA :)

Sorry for the delay, anyway in order of the pics posted...

EXIF's:

exif1.png

exif2.png

exif3.png

exif4.png

PP wise, I have some presets all good to go for these images. The NL photos are a bit of a pig to find the right balance between getting the processing right and overdoing it then losing detail. I am not sure how my "style" developed this way but on this camera I typically shoot to underexpose (I found the EVF & Screen would cause me to blow the highlights) by .3-.7

Then I push the exposure back in processing but reduce highlights & push shadows to get the images to "pop"

HTH :)

Hi Jake

Thanks for posting those EXIF screengrabs and your PP insights.....I will digest all that in due course :)

OK, some exif info...

Sorry for the delay, anyway in order of the pics posted...

EXIF's:

exif1.png

exif2.png

exif3.png

exif4.png

PP wise, I have some presets all good to go for these images. The NL photos are a bit of a pig to find the right balance between getting the processing right and overdoing it then losing detail. I am not sure how my "style" developed this way but on this camera I typically shoot to underexpose (I found the EVF & Screen would cause me to blow the highlights) by .3-.7

Then I push the exposure back in processing but reduce highlights & push shadows to get the images to "pop"

HTH :)
Thanks for sharing.... and here I am trying to resist the Oly 7-14mm :rolleyes:

Thanks for sharing.... and here I am trying to resist the Oly 7-14mm :rolleyes:
Hehe, good luck :p

The 7-14 is an excellent excellent lens. HOWEVER, there are a few drawbacks.

- Compared to the 9-18, it is big and heavy. Thanks to the f/2.8 aperture.
- The front element is curved like a fisheye, which means you need special adapters to fit filters to it. No such thing as screw-in filters for this lens!

I would only pick the the 7-14 over the 9-18 if the f/2.8 is needed and/or weather sealing is needed as you plan to shoot in rougher conditions (super cold, rainy/wet etc) - I do not regret buying mine at all. However after having it a few years this is what I think of mine. :)

Last edited:
Norway is one of my favourite places to visit (and photograph). Nowhere else has quite the same scenery, and a cruise in the fjords is such a stunning way to see it all. We did a week's cruise this summer, which was my 3rd or 4th into the fjords. It never gets old. My favourite stop is probably Olden, just because there are so many good sights in walking distance of the mooring. The one disadvantage of crusing though is that you're only on land from 8-6, so sunrises and sunsets are out of the question. Here are a couple of my favourites...
1. Skylift

2. Olden

3. An oldie and favourite from Olden - about 30 minutes walk from mooring (also a stop on the car train tour)

The joke about Bergen is "A tourist asked a boy 'does it always rain here?', he said 'I don't know I am only 13'". Not brilliant but explains what it is like.

I was about to post that! Altho' it didn't rain while I was there......

I think it's in the Rough Guide.........

I did the Hurtigruten return trip last March. Amazing weather - clear blue skies and little wind for 7 days out of 10 - while in the UK it was the Beast from the East. In fact it got a bit boring! I can elaborate if anyone wants to know more.

Last edited:
I did the Hurtigruten return trip last March. Amazing weather - clear blue skies and little wind for 7 days out of 10 - while in the UK it was the Beast from the East. In fact it got a bit boring! I can elaborate if anyone wants to know more.

Looking to do the return Hurtigruten trip myself next March so hopefully will have similar weather especially the clear skies. (y)

Looking to do the return Hurtigruten trip myself next March so hopefully will have similar weather especially the clear skies. (y)

I wouldn't count on clear blue skies! I was very worried about the weather, but the ship route is in sheltered water most of the way so seasickness - even in rough weather - would be limited. There are one or two open stretches, notably around the North Cape, where it got quite lumpy. In fact a couple of people were thrown out of their dining chairs at one point! However that was on the MS Lofoten, Hurtigruten's oldest, smallest, but most characterful ship, with no stabilisation.

Speaking as a photographer I genuinely did find wall-to-wall blue skies rather monotonous. So it is swings and roundabouts, really.

Would love to do the Lofoten islands, they look fabulous.
They are absolutely terrific. If we went again, we would base ourselves in Svolvaer; we didn't go int he winter though so maybe that would make a difference. We too think we might like the ferry trip; we know people who have. We went in September. We didn't do the whale trip from Andenes as it was waning then and they might have been out for 7 hours and we had a long drive back down the peninsular to our hotel. In Svolvaer we signed up for the RIB ride and also a photo night; the aurora was awesome and the lights danced, coronas etc for two hours.

Last edited:
For a ship with real character book on the MS Lofoten; it's a small vessel so you tend to run into the same poeple again and again. In fact I had a great time with a few characters who hung around outside watching the world go by.

Lofoten is the only ship with a good number of single cabins as well, although I beleive they sometimes offer "no single supplement" prices on other ships.

The Lofoten is due to be withdrawn from the coastal route in 2019 as some of its facilities are no longer up to EU standards, apparently. But that wasn't an issue for me at all.

One disappointment was that in early march it was +/- dark when we passed through Lofoten in both directions.

Last edited:
We have friends in Norway, so have been twice. Once in February 2015 and once in August 2017. Both really good. Had proper snow in winter and had lovely weather in the summer, but we weren't as far north. Next time I want to head north though.
Here's a couple of samples:

An old one:

Frozen
by Alistair Beavis, on Flickr

August 2017

Quite a view

Summer stream

Panorama over Oslo, taken from the Holmenkollen Ski Jump

Oslo Fjord

Both trips were family holidays, so I didn't have any dedicated photography time. And in terms of cameras, 2015 I had the Canon 60D, and in 2017 I was using the Canon EOS M10, as my full frame 6D was in for repair, which I was most annoyed about.
Anyway, I'm sure I'll go back again.

I was about to post that! Altho' it didn't rain while I was there......

I think it's in the Rough Guide.........

It was the Rough Guide.

Back