Never lend your camera to children

Well, at least he's holding it correctly ;)

It's probably a set up with a dud, but I suspect you might get away with it briefly provided the silly flap things were properly shut.
I expected some jaw droppingly good shot such as an adult would never have seen.

Fingers on shutter button don't look good and left eye focusing, needs more tution.

What's wrong with left eye focusing?
Invariably cameras are designed for right handed people so lots of buttons etc are on the right hand side, consequently left eye focusing puts your face etc over the buttons.
Nothing inherently wrong with LEF just less optimal that REF.

I expected some jaw droppingly good shot such as an adult would never have seen.

Maybe. I lent my RX100 to a nephew-in-law and the photos he got of his dad were completely different to mine taken at the same family gatering. Not just because of composition/etc, but because his dad looked at him differently than he looks at me. It's actually quite a revealing portrait - he looks much more stern.

(Luckily for me, there wasn't a swimming pool in sight.)

My boys are always trying to get their hands on my camera!

Henry with camera
by Lewis Craik, on Flickr

I've bought my eldest a waterproof/ruggedised camera to use though.

Invariably cameras are designed for right handed people so lots of buttons etc are on the right hand side, consequently left eye focusing puts your face etc over the buttons.
Nothing inherently wrong with LEF just less optimal that REF.

except Using your right eye if you are left eye dominant is even less optimal. There are many professional photographers who use the left eye for this very reason.

except Using your right eye if you are left eye dominant is even less optimal. There are many professional photographers who use the left eye for this very reason.
Agreed.

My daughter managed to wreck two of mine in one night while on holiday.

Picked one up to use and dropped it on a tiled floor. Then because that didn't work, she picked up the other one and did exactly the same.

Both point and shoot cameras, but I paid more for my first PAS than I did for my first DSLR, so it wasn't cheap.

In fairness, one of them was literally held together with Duct Tape, but I loved it so was trying to eke out as much use as possible. The other was the replacement for when the inevitable happened. Just didn't expect to replace them both.

Back