New camera

Name
Ken
Edit My Images
Yes
Seems as if everyone is getting new cameras, so as not to be left out, i have to inform you that i too have recieved my new camera today. Canon eos 300d with 28-200 lens, means absolutely nothing to me yet and have already been playong. can't wait until the weather picks up. Pics coming soon, i hope.
Ken.

cool,
u dont have to wait for good weather tho m8, some v-good shots can be taken on rainy days etc, just turn em to black n white on the pc for the right mood

happy snapin

MyPix

MyPix said:
cool,
u dont have to wait for good weather tho m8, some v-good shots can be taken on rainy days etc, just turn em to black n white on the pc for the right mood

happy snapin

MyPix
Or invest a couple of quid in a tripod, and take photos of things indoors :)

Well unfortunately my camera had to go back, firstly there was quite a large hair in the viewfinder which was bugging me, it came without the canon strap which was supposed to be included in the box, there was a very small chip on the very front edge of the flash housing flip up thing, the cf card had images on and I started noticing small faint circles in plain light to grey background. So I took it back and they were all right about it and exchanged it after spending about 30 mins examining it.

I do have a tripod but I not much fun taking the same old shots in the house. Sunday was quite fine so I went out then and got some reasonable pics which I’ll post soon. It was then that I noticed these circles. Hopefully going out today with the new camera so fingers crossed.

Ah!, the old lets sell him this second hand tat as new scam eh??? glad you got it changed Kenco.

damn buggers! Glad you got it sorted though

Hey Ken I am glad that you finally got it sorted and got your mitts on a camera that will do your photography justice. I'll look forward to seeing your results.

Its great getting a new toy to play with isn't it?

Steep said:
Ah!, the old lets sell him this second hand tat as new scam eh??? glad you got it changed Kenco.
I did get the impression it wasn’t new, especially with so many things wrong. Anyway they replaced everything with a whole new kit but with different specs. So this time the specs are: Canon 300d, 18-55 lens, battery grip, skylite filter and samsonite bag. I am already getting to grips with were all the buttons are and what they do, just got to put it all into practice.
Steve said:
Its great getting a new toy to play with isn't it?
Oh yes, she’s a beauty and a world away from the Olympus I was using. I’m happy, very happy. Just got to keep on top of the chores around the house now and maybe the wife will buy me a telephoto lens.
Ken.
:D :D :D

Would also like to thank CT. which I have been meaning to do in previous posts for having a friendly ear, I’m sure I have been the bane of his life the past couple of weeks. Thanks mate for all your help and advice.
Cheers.
Ken.

The new camera has had to go back, again. I started to notice a few dots in some pics and followed Matts instructions in this thread http://thephotographyforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=741
and took a few shots with the suggested settings and low and behold, you got it dust all over my pics and much worse than the first camera. Not very happy to say the least. So back it went and although I stood around waiting for 2 hours they did eventually give me a refund in full. My dilemma now though is prices have fallen and I could get the Canon 350D with grip and remote switch and controller from Argoose for £694.99 BUT they also have the Nikon D70 for £629.89 both lens kits and now I’m not sure what to do, can you please help.

350D Ken all the way. The D70 is a great camera, but the 350D has the jump on it being much newer in the market place. 8 megapixels and it has the Digic 11 processor which is the same as in the 20D. Canon's noise reduction is simply the best too. :wink:

I don't think you could go wrong with either camera.
At the end of the day you need to think about what sort of photography you will persue,
then decide if a manufacturer can supply you with the kit for your needs.

At the moment Canon lead the way in the lens market, but Nikon are bringing a lot of fantastic new lenses out.
Price will also come into it when purchasing new accesories.

Cheers lads thanks for the quick reply, and thanks matt for your ccd tutorial that, without which i'd still be none the wiser and would be to late to do anything once i was wise enough.

LOL

Well.... I meant just to compare both as a 'potential' buyer. :wink:

At least you got your money back. The advantage of buying over a counter is you can at least get an eyeball to eyeball confrontation with someone if something goes wrong and they can't ignore you. You could have a lot more difficulty with an internet purchase, where many of the places don't even have a contact phone number and it's easy for them to ignore your e-mails.

I'd be looking for the best internet prices in your present position and perhaps looking for a shop who'll price match?

KenCo1964 said:
the last was from a camera shop.....
Yes but you don't have to buy one there, just go in and have a play with both. Get a feel for which one you like. Make the sales people believe you're going to buy one or the other and they'll be falling over themselves to help... then just say 'Thanks', walk away and get whichever you have decided on elsewhere :)

You have a mail order shop close(ish) to you Cameramarts
You could always give them a try. Not used them myself personally though.

I would recommend Warehouse Express
I have bought a lot of kit from them, on only one occasion have i had to return anything.
I received the replacement 2 days after sending the item back.
Now thats what I call good service.
You don't just have the email option from them, just pick up the phone and speak to one of the freindly sales people.

Dabs.com have the 350d for £629.80 with lens and the local high st. retailer will price match it so looks like the 350d.
thanks for all your help.
Ken.

KenCo1964 said:
Dabs.com have the 350d for £629.80 with lens and the local high st. retailer will price match it so looks like the 350d.
Ken.

Hope you enjoy it.

You'll hate the small size and weight, but you'll love the quality once you get used to it. Unless you got tiny hands.. then you'll love it all-round.

Pook said:
KenCo1964 said:
Ken.

Hope you enjoy it.

You'll hate the small size and weight, but you'll love the quality once you get used to it. Unless you got tiny hands.. then you'll love it all-round.
Cheers Pook, read about the size difference, going to have a look today and purchase all being well. just sick of all the running around, costing a fortune in petrol and parking.

Try not to break this one Ken. :LOL: I think most people would say you need the battery grip with the 350D unless you have very small hands. It's definitely the case with the 20D too.

CT said:
Try not to break this one Ken. :LOL: I think most people would say you need the battery grip with the 350D unless you have very small hands. It's definitely the case with the 20D too.
According to the shop, they reckon that the battery grip is impossible to get hold of. Otherwise I’d have gone for the one at argos I think. I had the grip for the 300d but never used it really. As for breaking it, this will be the 3rd time from the same company, although different branch and hopefully 3rd time lucky, although luck should not come into it when spending nearly £700 on a camera. I deliberately never once mentioned the company in question but I will say I am becoming increasingly fed up with them. at least they have replaced and then refunded me in full after a considerable wait each time.

The 300D was a huge success for Canon and they had to up production numbers several times to keep up with demand. They're already pitching their monthly quota of new 350D's way over what it was for the 300D at it's peak, such is the demand they're expecting for this camera, so I suppose that quality control has to be something to think about.

Give it a thorough checking over mate and use it as much as possible straight away. Good luck with it anyway!

If it's the company I'm thinking of which you've been dealing with, they've become a virtual monopoly in recent years in high street photographic retail, by merciless undercutting of the opposition and either seeing them off or taking them over. It's tragic really that so many smaller retailers just couldn't compete and have gone to the wall. Having said that, I've never really had a bad experience with this company, so I reckon you've just been unlucky.

Further on the saga of receiving a clean ccd on a new camera:
Went to the shop yesterday to pick up the 350d, having explained the situation as this was a different branch, they agreed to let me pay for the camera and take it out for a couple of shots of the sky, then to take the card back and view the pics on there computer in store. 3 cameras later I eventually found one that looked okay but the pics were more of clouds rather than sky. Anyway brought it home to a nice blue sky, just waiting for me. So took some pics checked on the puter only to find a number of small black dots on the pics.
I don’t know if I am just being paranoid or should really expect a little dust inside the camera and on the ccd. I know it could be cleaned, should I clean it or would you expect getting a clean one in the first place after spending over £700 cash in total?
I am becoming very disheartened with the firm in question and just as disappointed in dslr. Knowing the need for cleaning equipment and products and that someday I should prepare for there use but not expecting to have to purchase this equipment immediately to enable me to take unblemished shots. I am not blaming this company and do have to give them credit for exchanging and refunding, especially the amount of times I have, loosing count now, I think this is the 6th camera I have tried but only the 3rd I have brought home. The staff at each shop seemed very surprised themselves and one guy told me that he had only ever seen 1 camera in all his life like that and I’ve had 6 in 3 weeks.
It’s seems it’s impossible to buy a camera that does not have dust on the ccd in my experience.
Please don’t get me wrong I am not a difficult customer or very hard to please but can ill afford to be pulling money out to make better a new purchase.
Here are some pics from some of these cameras, please let me know what you think.
This was the first camera.

The second.
The third.

This last one only has 2 dots visible on that shot, hopefully at some point today I will manage to get out and take more shots.
I will also go and buy one of them blower things and try clearing the dust with that first rather than purchasing digi pads, the lass on the counter said that I can take the camera back anytime within 30 days for exchange or refund, so not a great rush.

Ken the last thing you want to do, is use a blower to clean the sensor.
You will end up with more debris on the sensor than what you started with.

My recent purchase had dust all over the sensor and had to be cleaned, and I paid a lot more than £700 for it.
This is my 3rd digi body and I've had dust on all of them.

What you need to remember is that even though the camera may be made in a controlled environment, not all dust can be eradicated.
You've also got the vibration during the logistics of getting it to the shop were you and I purchase them from, this is bound to loosen minute particles which eventually end up on your camera sensor.

Dust has always been a problem with digital, and the manufacturers are looking at ways to reduce it..

For now though, You will have to invest in the sensor cleaning gear and enjoy taking your photos.

To follow on from what Matt said, plus you have to put the lens on in the shop as well, which wont be exactly a dust free environment either !

At least dust is easily removed, it may be fiddly and a pain on a brand new camera, but its not fatal for it ! :)

I think we are all bound to be infested with dust at some point, so a cleaning kit will be essential ! :)

Ken, I have one spot on some of my sky pics which is about as big as one of those on your 350D. It's been like that since I bought the camera, and for now I'm just touching it out in PS where it's visible in the shots. I know that sooner or later I'm going to have to clean the sensor anyway. I wouldn't be concerned at all about a couple of spots like that if the camera is otherwise OK.- others may disagree. Dust on the sensor is a fact of life we have to live with with digital photography, and the more you change lenses, the more you're going to be prone to picking up dust however careful you are.

Dust has always been a problem even with film, but of course the dust was carried away as you wound on and it didn't appear in EVERY shot as it does with a static sensor. I'm not a big fan of using a blower/puffer brush inside the camera. They tend to blow any dust all over the place and just re-arrange it. Once you get dust and hairs etc on your focusing screen it's very annoying, although of course they have no effect on your shots. I have a mini vacuum cleaner thing powered by one AA battery which I use inside the camera, although you have to be careful where you're poking it.

i have been reading this thread with intrest, and it is surprising to me how many Canon users are experiencing dust and accept that dust will get in the camera and stick to the sensor infrared non-pass filter ,
My D70 has no spots at all, nothing, and to be honest i take the lenses i have off all the time and change em around ??

as i mentioned above, the sensor is protected by a filter that limits the infrared light passing through , this is because it will mix with the normal light and have strange results in normal photography , so the bit you are all cleaning and getting dust off is a filter and not the actual sensor , this is why the manufacturer states it has to sent back to have the sensor cleaned, as thay take the camera apart ( as shown in another thread of mine about the D70 IR conversion ) to clean the correct parts.

Its also astonishes me that you can buy a new Canon and have all those particles inside the camera already ?? and i to would be taking them back untill i found a ' good ' one ,

either that or buy a Nikon :wink:

hope u get it sorted soon

MP

just had a thought.......

do you think this could be a static problem from the packaging the camera is in, as you unpack the body gets a static charge attracts particles of dust and hey presto a dust magnet ??

i know the Nikon was surrounded in an anti-static bag and packaging ( as simple as pressed cardboard )

just a thought

MP ?

Well I’ve taken a couple more shots and there does not seem to be anymore than the 2 shown in the third shot. At least this is far better than the first 2 pics which is a far cry from 1 or 2 spots which incidentally were both from the 300d’s I had purchased first.
The 350 is a superb camera, although noticeably smaller and have already after 1 day hit buttons accidentally, although this was also the case with the 300d. but the main noticeable difference with the 350d over the 300d is the speed at which it takes pics, displays on the lcd and writes to the cf, lightning quick. I am impressed and can only imagine what the 20d and higher spec cameras respond like. Don’t think I’d want to go back to my Olympus camedia.

Manufacturers do not disassemble cameras to clean the sensor - not routinely anyway. The sensor is manufactured and installed in the camera in the most dust free environment possible. The likelihood of dust on the sensor itself is remote. When they refer to sensor cleaning, they are in fact referring to the glass which covers the sensor, and that is the bit they would normally clean.

There is no logical reason whatsoever why a Nikon camera should be any more free from dust problems than any other brand. As Matt said manufacturers are currently developing self cleaning sensors, but until we get those, dust will continue to be a problem regardless of brand.

MyPix said:
just had a thought.......

do you think this could be a static problem from the packaging the camera is in, as you unpack the body gets a static charge attracts particles of dust and hey presto a dust magnet ??

i know the Nikon was surrounded in an anti-static bag and packaging ( as simple as pressed cardboard )

just a thought

MP ?
Previous 300’s had nothing other than bubble wrap, the first didn’t even have the neck strap nor the 2 pin power lead which was included with the second. The 350’s I have seen and I’ve seen a few :LOL: , have all had a sock type cover pouch thing and then bubble wrap. The 300’s time and dates were all 00000’s yet all the 350’s have had there time and date set????? [smilie=c: I’m not happy hector with the company but love the camera.
Ken.

All very odd. No spots on my 350D. I find it very unlikely that the dirt is UNDER the filter, as that would suggest Canon are assembling them in dirty conditions.. which doesn't sound like something a world leader like Canon, Nikon etc would do. The ingress is probably happening after manufacture I would imagine.

my point was that there is a filter protecting the sensor ( ccd in a nikon and cmos in a canon i think )

peeps who worry about ' touching the sensor ' shouldnt worry , as it has the filter in front .

MP

Back