New laptop

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_8546.PNG Hi, I'm after a new laptop just for use for photography I currently have a Lenovo g500 for general and photography but it's not the best for processing...would this be any good?

Cheers

Or there's this on Groupon, or do you think my Lenovo g500 will do?, the only thing I find I have to look on my iPad at the final picture to see the real sharpness, or is there any at pc world brand new at around £600 that will be good?, any help would be greatly appreciated!!.

CheersIMG_8547.PNG

What specs does your Lenovo G500 have and what software do you use?

Things you could do to improve it. Replace the hard drive with an SSD and up the RAM to 8GB. Use a fast 7200rpm hard drive in an external caddy with USB 3.0. As suggested by Kodiak get an external monitor and calibrate it. You would have to work out whether it's cost effective to do these upgrades or to buy a better specified computer.

When I process a photo in lightroom it looks ok but when I send it my Ipad or even my phone the picture looks sharper.

When I process a photo in lightroom it looks ok but when I send it my Ipad or even my phone the picture looks sharper.

Get a laptop with a glossy screen, I find them much better than the matt ones designed to be anti-reflective.

The dell studio laptops used to have them and they were noticeably nicer for viewing multimedia indoors, such as videos / photos.

That more to do with the screens than the processing of the photo. If you print the photo out you will be able to see it's true quality.

It is pointless saying "that you need a better" laptop" when the issue is viewing.

It appears to me that you seek a better viewing experience rather than more processing power (also lightroom is always slow). If so you need a laptop with a high resouloution screen.That means more pixels per inch.

But it is a struggle to find a proper photographers laptop. The manufacturers have consentrated on gamers for the last few years now. I am very disapointed with the screens on laptops considering the technology available.

Link ti info. https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/laptop-screen-resolution-ripoff

Yes I think I agree thinking about it....think I'll save my money and waste it on something else for photography....

Cheers

Yes save your money until- Lenovo maufacture a laptop with a 13 inch IPS, 300 pixels per inch, 4:3 ratio matt screen with SSD and 16Gb ram with a battery that really lasts 5 hrs under constant editing. I have my money ready but I think I will be waiting a long time!

Laptop screens are generally a compromise for editing. Horrid glossy things, terrible viewing angles etc.

Get a decent ips monitor and calibrate it using a hardware device.

Get a laptop with a glossy screen, I find them much better than the matt ones designed to be anti-reflective.

The dell studio laptops used to have them and they were noticeably nicer for viewing multimedia indoors, such as videos / photos.

Nicer looking <> better. Gloss generally tends to introduce a false sense of contrast. And reflections from light sources need careful consideration.

Personally I'd always prefer and recommend a good matte ips and calibration device. Then I know the colours be accurate rather than just looking nice at my desk.

I have a Lenovo with a Matt IPS screen but it is low on resolution. It is difficult to find a high res IPS Matt screen let alone the dream of a 4:3 ratio screen.

And they say capitalism supplies what people want! No we are all having to use gaming laptops like it or not. It's astounding that no manufacturer produces a laptop with a 4:3 ratio screen.

All this 16:9 ratio business started with our Euorpean freinds as usaul " The 16:9 Action Plan" to make all TV screens 16:9 ratio.

http://ec.europa.eu/smart-regulatio...hc3KFLp096nYn7BSPD!1601440011?documentId=2695

I have a Lenovo with a Matt IPS screen but it is low on resolution. It is difficult to find a high res IPS Matt screen let alone the dream of a 4:3 ratio screen.

And they say capitalism supplies what people want! No we are all having to use gaming laptops like it or not. It's astounding that no manufacturer produces a laptop with a 4:3 ratio screen.

All this 16:9 ratio business started with our Euorpean freinds as usaul " The 16:9 Action Plan" to make all TV screens 16:9 ratio.

http://ec.europa.eu/smart-regulatio...hc3KFLp096nYn7BSPD!1601440011?documentId=2695

The 16:9 aspect ratio was brought in to consumer screens for films and television (16:9 is a worldwide TV standard, and the film industry has used this and 2:35:1 amongst other variations for many, many years). It's absolutely nothing to do with the EU [emoji3]

The EU action plan was wasn't to "make all our screens 16:9", most of the UK had already adopted it. The 'action plan' was only an efficient way of bringing the EU up to this worldwide standard and absorbing the associated costs. The report even states the U.K. was already up to speed with widescreen TV use as were our broadcasters, so had no effect whatsoever on the UKs adaption to the format, and it was the rest of the EU that lagged behind us.

Hardly any of these screens or laptops are made in the EU anyway...

Last edited:
Back