New Lencarta product @ focus *cleaned*

Name
Morgan Lee
Edit My Images
No
Will it be reported on the site & here also as some of us aren't attending Focus?

I'm sure someone will spill the beans on the first day :) I'm not going till tuesday or wednesday and I expect to know whats there by then

It's a competitor to the Quadra then, LED modelling lamp, tiny heads etc. Looks good, look forward to playing with it if it's there

IF it is...it will have to be great to change my mind from a ranger rx or quadra to be fair

I'd be interested to see the ringflash. I was just about to drop over £1K on the Elli RX and that's just the head!
Suspect the Lencarta may come in around the same including battery pack.

We need Sunday spies !! :naughty:

about £750 INCLUDING the battery..

I'm going with the masses on Sunday. First time on the first day for me, and if it's as busy as some say it will be, me no appy.

Garry and Mr Lencarta will both be there I believe..

Will be interesting.

As Kris said above, my money is on it looking suspiciously like the discovery (not that that's in any way a bad thing).

We'll see. I'd like to get Mr. Ryan's opinions on it (especially if he's tested the flash duration with his h3d...)...hopefully bump into him on the stand :)

We'll see. I'd like to get Mr. Ryan's opinions on it (especially if he's tested the flash duration with his h3d...)...hopefully bump into him on the stand :)

As long as it's not Sunday. On Sunday you'll have to rough it with Garry, Mr Lencarta and (I believe) a special guest. As much as I'd love to be in a big shed with 10 thousand people I have a wedding ;)

I'll be there Monday - Wednesday. Just don't ask me hard stuff early on Monday - if I've worked it out correctly, the drive there will be longer than my "night's" sleep.

As long as it's not Sunday. On Sunday you'll have to rough it with Garry, Mr Lencarta and (I believe) a special guest. As much as I'd love to be in a big shed with 10 thousand people I have a wedding ;)

I'll be there Monday - Wednesday. Just don't ask me hard stuff early on Monday - if I've worked it out correctly, the drive there will be longer than my "night's" sleep.

haha, no, I have nothing to do on sunday but I'd rather sit around all week at the 'new baby' trade show than take one step into focus on the sunday ;)

Will we have any news from focus soon i wonder!!?? its been open for hours now and id love to hear whats new...

Any news on the new Lencarta products?

Holding off on buying the Bowens 400 Travelpak kit until I know what Lencarta have to offer. Wish I could make the trip to Birmingham, unfortunately I can't get the time off work.

btw, Ive changed my mind on the Bowens travelpak, they weigh an absolute tonne. Very surprised at how heavy they were, even the smallest. No thanks, stick with my quadra.

Thank you Kris.

The Bowens kit is heavier all round compared to the Elinchrom kit, but it is also £500 cheaper from what I can see on CPB.

I'll have a look at the Discovery. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahem....

btw, Ive changed my mind on the Bowens travelpak, they weigh an absolute tonne. Very surprised at how heavy they were, even the smallest. No thanks, stick with my quadra.

I use Bowens travelpaks and there heavier then the lencarta safari as thats all i have to compare it too but not bad, can still travel on public transport fine just need the right bag (muscles help too)

Last edited by a moderator:
Post edited due to incorrect information.

Garry has posted the correct details including weight on page 2 of the thread. Bowens details left up for those of you who would like to compare figures.

Bowens Travelpak (small):

Width 170mm
Depth 140mm
Height 205mm
Weight 5kg

Bowens Gemini 400 head:

Width 170mm
Length 310mm
Height 130mm
Weight 2.6kg

Last edited:
Does anyone have any information on the Lencarta versions of these? Nothing on their site yet.

The flash duration is pants! i would rather pay the extra for the Quadra! even though i would prefer to save my cash.. Hopfully the Lencarta ones will be better, i read the Jinbei has less components than the equivalent Lencarta.. i'll pick Garry/Ryans brains on Wed..

The flash duration is pants! i would rather pay the extra for the Quadra! even though i would prefer to save my cash.. Hopfully the Lencarta ones will be better, i read the Jinbei has less components than the equivalent Lencarta.. i'll pick Garry/Ryans brains on Wed..

It's not great is it. I'm sure I read the same somewhere on here, perhaps we'll see different figures once Lencarta update the site (or when someone spills the beans on here!).

Im sure the current Safari pack is much faster!

Im sure the current Safari pack is much faster!

I think the discovery is the to safari, what the quadra is to the ranger so to speak.

Not a replacement...but a smaller more convenient but less powerful alternative.

a-la-strobist sorta thing

OK, well. Here's what lencarta did have on their stand:

safari, elitepro heads, etc, and some pictures of new products coming shortly:

The Lencarta Discovery. The picture bore a strong resemblence to the Jinbei discovery already linked by Kris, however I'm sure that a lencarta rep will be happy to describe how it's different and the lencarta's features.

If it does share a lot of the same features, then it's essentially an upgraded safari, with LED modelling lights, even smaller flash heads (though still bowens fit) and 2 sockets.

More interesting (and apparently on a much longer timescale) was a mains power pack, LI-ION juiced (so not big and heavy like the tronix packs) that had in the rendering 3 mains sockets, and 3 sockets that appeared (and were described to me as) to be for the connector for the safari/discovery flash heads, and you could use it to power any 3 devices.

It had the sockets for the safari heads, but no controls other than a power button and a battery level meter, so I don't know if this was a very rough rendering, or what? :shrug:

Jonathon mentioned a price point of potentially even around £350, which would place it firmly a great opposition to the tronix battery pack, just smaller and with more battery life - a figure of 2000 flash pops using standard monoblocs was mentioned.

I still need another Safari power pack so if they discontinue them I'll have to be quick. Hasn't the Li-ion power packed jobby got far less flashes?

OK, well. Here's what lencarta did have on their stand:

safari, elitepro heads, etc, and some pictures of new products coming shortly:

The Lencarta Discovery. The picture bore a strong resemblence to the Jinbei discovery already linked by Kris, however I'm sure that a lencarta rep will be happy to describe how it's different and the lencarta's features.

If it does share a lot of the same features, then it's essentially an upgraded safari, with LED modelling lights, even smaller flash heads (though still bowens fit) and 2 sockets.

More interesting (and apparently on a much longer timescale) was a mains power pack, LI-ION juiced (so not big and heavy like the tronix packs) that had in the rendering 3 mains sockets, and 3 sockets that appeared (and were described to me as) to be for the connector for the safari/discovery flash heads, and you could use it to power any 3 devices.

It had the sockets for the safari heads, but no controls other than a power button and a battery level meter, so I don't know if this was a very rough rendering, or what? :shrug:

Jonathon mentioned a price point of potentially even around £350, which would place it firmly a great opposition to the tronix battery pack, just smaller and with more battery life - a figure of 2000 flash pops using standard monoblocs was mentioned.

apparently it looks like a quantuum new toy being mentioned online (no links as I was told this) a friend of mine runs quantuum lights so knew about them.

they had now when I left though John Ryan was nice to chat to (I was the slightly soberer less ********y version of my avatar :p *waves*)

The picture bore a strong resemblence to the Jinbei discovery already linked by Kris,

It wasn't a picture I saw, it was a discovery and was branded as such, though have to say it wasn't displayed prominently.

:wave:

I'm sure the discovery was on the stand on Sunday, was speaking to gary about the safari kit but he never mentioned the discovery, but it was the on the shelf and if I remember correctly a pop up display with it on.

thread cleaned. Final warning, comment all you like on quality, use, design, capability or indeed colour, then thats fine but PLEASE do not make comments that are potentially libelous or that come from an axe-grinding perspective.(that goes for EVERYONE)

Ok, my final comments on the subject. Them I'm off.

I am very sure that there are many lencarta users that are satisfied and produce excellent work. Good luck to them and keep it up.

The reason I am suspicious of some of the claims that the company make are that I know of no other lighting company that supposedly values the (relatively small) UK market so much that they are willing to produce custom specific designs which apparently have so many better attributes associated with them than the standard designs, and yet sell them for not that much more. For example, Jinbei have a lovely certificate on their site from Perkins Elmer about their business partnership, but Lencarta claim they are exclusive to them and provided to Jinbei specifically for their models. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I will continue to be so. I will happily eat humble pie.

Some Lencarta user could get one here and let us know
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=17292&cat=0&page=1

Reporting - as far as I am aware, in the several years I have been contributing, I have reported two threads in total that appeared to me be simply manufacturers touting their wares rather than specifically answering the posters questions, sometimes specifically about competing brands. I don't regard that as 'all the time' at all. I have several e-mails that prove that the OP was not aware that Gary was a Lencarta employee when recommending Lencarta products.

Anyway, thanks for the all the private mails gents.

Adiós amigos...

Ok, my final comments on the subject. Them I'm off.

I am very sure that there are many lencarta users that are satisfied and produce excellent work. Good luck to them and keep it up.

The reason I am suspicious of some of the claims that the company make are that I know of no other lighting company that supposedly values the (relatively small) UK market so much that they are willing to produce custom specific designs which apparently have so many better attributes associated with them than the standard designs, and yet sell them for not that much more. For example, Jinbei have a lovely certificate on their site from Perkins Elmer about their business partnership, but Lencarta claim they are exclusive to them and provided to Jinbei specifically for their models. Until I see evidence to the contrary, I will continue to be so. I will happily eat humble pie.

Some Lencarta user could get one here and let us know
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/product.php?productid=17292&cat=0&page=1

Reporting - as far as I am aware, in the several years I have been contributing, I have reported two threads in total that appeared to me be simply manufacturers touting their wares rather than specifically answering the posters questions, sometimes specifically about competing brands. I don't regard that as 'all the time' at all. I have several e-mails that prove that the OP was not aware that Gary was a Lencarta employee when recommending Lencarta products.

Anyway, thanks for the all the private mails gents.

Adiós amigos...

Don't go far Kris. I enjoy your posts and respect your knowledge ;)

thread cleaned. Final warning, comment all you like on quality, use, design, capability or indeed colour, then thats fine but PLEASE do not make comments that are potentially libelous or that come from an axe-grinding perspective.(that goes for EVERYONE)

I understand where you are coming from with regard to legalities but to be honest the thread cleaning looks more like you are removing stuff that was showing you in a bad light.

In my opinion you were wrong to reveal that Kris had been reporting and regardless of the other issues I would say he was due an apology for that part. Being able to accept that a mistake was made in one part wouldn't lessen the effect of a ruling made with another part. Quite the opposite; it shows integrity in my opinion.

I've no interest with the argument regarding Lencarta but the moderating style did interest me on this instance because it means I'll be thinking twice should I want to use the "report post" button. That's all really. :)

I hope you are not going permenantly Kris as if I remember correctly you have good knowledge from the HMR&C side of things, which is always handy for members especially on the business side of things.

i apologise to Kris for revealing that hes reported posts in the past - that was not called for or necessary.

Im not sorry for my moderating style though. We get criticised for allowing people to post libelous remarks, we get criticised when we edit, remove or delete posts, we get criticised for not doing anything, and we get criticised when we do.

I'll put the other thread back as it was, thats not a problem at all, I stand by my decision. When all is said and done, WE get the letters in the post (unless certain people use certain lawyers) and have to deal with them, so we have to moderate where necessary.

2 points

Garrys signature clearly states he is associated with lencarta, he also mentions it in several threads
Lencarta have a particular marketing strategy that may or may not involve OEM parts and 'off the shelf' parts, where they make it, who makes it, why its made are all Lencarta's business, I dont see what the big deal is with 'outing' the manufacturing origin of products, as I said before, it happens in all industries, car, electronic and others, but it seems only this lighting forum is obsessed with it.

Well said Matt, IMO you do a necessary, although sometimes unappreciated job.

i apologise to Kris for revealing that hes reported posts in the past - that was not called for or necessary.

Im not sorry for my moderating style though. We get criticised for allowing people to post libelous remarks, we get criticised when we edit, remove or delete posts, we get criticised for not doing anything, and we get criticised when we do.

I'll put the other thread back as it was, thats not a problem at all, I stand by my decision. When all is said and done, WE get the letters in the post (unless certain people use certain lawyers) and have to deal with them, so we have to moderate where necessary.

2 points

Garrys signature clearly states he is associated with lencarta, he also mentions it in several threads
Lencarta have a particular marketing strategy that may or may not involve OEM parts and 'off the shelf' parts, where they make it, who makes it, why its made are all Lencarta's business, I dont see what the big deal is with 'outing' the manufacturing origin of products, as I said before, it happens in all industries, car, electronic and others, but it seems only this lighting forum is obsessed with it.

Matty, you're right on one thing - you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't ;)

But aren't Team Lencarta pretty good at defending themselves? They seem to give at least as good as they get, and are not immune to making rash statements about opposition products either. And it's right that they get picked up on it when they do. For the record, I don't think it is sufficiently clear to newcomers exactly what Garry and Jonathan's association with Lencarta is.

This was the moderating style I was talking about and not the Lencarta stuff etc. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

(unless certain people use certain lawyers)

This would also be one of those "sly" remarks which you criticised others for doing in this thread? (deleted). You were also sarcastic with the Sony stand comment (deleted) - yet you had a pop at me not so long ago about sarcasm.

So it's not always easy for both moderators or members to be perfect. But I do feel you are a bit quick to draw a broadsword when a pen would suffice. But everyone is different I guess and with so many members it can't be all that easy.

Regarding Lencarta, I can only suspect it's because they advertise here (that's non of my business), Garry pushes sales here a lot (business is business after all) and moderators are fairly quick to step in (for reasons as you've already said). They may get bashed a little but it's not even a drop in the ocean compared to the positive feedback they receive so mods stepping in quickly upon negative comments may have a detrimental effect in some people's eyes.

I don't know and don't have an opinion of my own regarding it to be honest because I'm happy with my lights from a 'certain' company ;) and wish Lencarta all the best as they are after all a British Company and that's what is important in my eyes.

That's just what I would assume but I don't have any desire to drag this out as it's unnecessary and serves no purpose. :)

the fact that they advertise makes no difference other than it allows them the priviledge of being able to post here, we do moderate threads/posts that garry has posted that we feel are outside of advertisers remit. You'll notice that we dont stop people posting negative comments on threads about the service they may or may not get for any of our advertisers.

I felt that some comments made by kris (not only in this thread) were either trolling or designed to provoke a reaction. clearly some of you dont agree with that, but as previoulsy noted, its up to us to make the decision on that. 9 times out of 10 the majority will agree with a decision thats been made, obviously this is the 1 in 10 that falls outside of that, but looking at past posts I stand by it.

the comment about sony was not sarcastic, it was meant to illustrate a point, they buy other companies componants and supply their own and have them assembled in other peoples factories. Sony dont make the PS3, its assembled by another big company that make electronic products (i think im right in saying Foxconn, which makes products for other companies such as apple?) the way that lencarta say they operate is exactly the same. The comment about the other company was though.

Back