New Lencarta product @ focus *cleaned*

Jerm said:
If it was Phil Mitchell in his younger years, lean, mean and good looking, then it will have been Jonathan.

If it was the current Phil, gone to seed, looking like he's been at the Jack Daniels since breakfast, then that'll have been me.

Lol, have Lencarta draughted in the Mitchell brothers for a bit of "persuasion selling"?

Like the Safari, it's made by Jinbei to Lencarta spec (or at least the pack is, the head is unmodified because the Jinbei head is perfect as it is.)

Does that mean that you could buy the Lencarta version of the pack and then buy the heads from Jinbei (assuming that they would be cheaper)?

Does that mean that you could buy the Lencarta version of the pack and then buy the heads from Jinbei (assuming that they would be cheaper)?
Yes, but they may not be cheaper. And they will be a different colour.

Daryl
Will call next week then Garry. Can always get bits n bobs off Bowens. Lencarta is 'S' fit?
Yes, same fit as Bowens

So is the Discovery pack an addition or is it replacing the Safari? The Safari seems a better setup from what I have seen so far although I didn't go to Focus (I ended up spending all the money I saved up to take there on Mrs_C's birthday present!)

So is the Discovery pack an addition or is it replacing the Safari? The Safari seems a better setup from what I have seen so far although I didn't go to Focus (I ended up spending all the money I saved up to take there on Mrs_C's birthday present!)

Looks like a smaller lighter version which seems a bit more Strobist then the Safari :).

Will be getting one over the safari for the size and weight :), 400w Ring is still plenty of power :) looks a bit more controllable too (fingers crossed)

I don't know yet. Either is possible, depending on whether or not there are enough sales of the Safari to make it economical to produce the large batches that have been produced so far.

Looks like a smaller lighter version which seems a bit more Strobist then the Safari .
Personally, I see it as a direct competitor to the Quadra. IMO it's better than the Quadra in every respect (battery life, modelling lamp, direct fit S-fit accessories, price) except for flash duration

Will be getting one over the safari for the size and weight , 400w Ring is still plenty of power looks a bit more controllable too (fingers crossed)
Yes, it is more controllable with 4 stops (1 - 1/16th) but it's 400 Ws from socket A and 200 Ws from socket B (with both heads attached) or 600 Ws from socket A if only 1 head is attached, so it has 50% more power than 400Ws alternatives, so has enough power to overwhelm the sun.

Garry,

We need another Lencarta training day specifically about Safari lights/ring light :) I'll sign up for it.......

Personally, I see it as a direct competitor to the Quadra. IMO it's better than the Quadra in every respect (battery life, modelling lamp, direct fit S-fit accessories, price) except for flash duration

Yes, it is more controllable with 4 stops (1 - 1/16th) but it's 400 Ws from socket A and 200 Ws from socket B (with both heads attached) or 600 Ws from socket A if only 1 head is attached, so it has 50% more power than 400Ws alternatives, so has enough power to overwhelm the sun.

The only other thing is the RX has a built in skyport.

Just hopeing I can squeeze one onto my credit card this month so i can take advantage of the 10(15%)off who needs a new cooker anyway :p(microwave meals havn't lost there taste yet)

Garry,

We need another Lencarta training day specifically about Safari lights/ring light :) I'll sign up for it.......

Funny you should say that. I've been checking out a very cool location ;)

So is the Discovery pack an addition or is it replacing the Safari? The Safari seems a better setup from what I have seen so far

I've thought about this a lot over the course of talking to people for 3 days about them....Although the Discovery looks like a Safari killer I don't think it's that clear cut.

If the numbers stack up then a Safari battery could last as long as 3 Discovery batteries. If you start running 2 heads from one pack then I can see plenty of situations where you'd want 2 batteries for a Discovery but only one for the Safari.

Also, although the head is pretty solid I'd be wary of hanging the really big modifiers from a Discovery. I know the Safaris can take the big stuff.

Perfect for me would be a Discovery with extra battery and a choice of heads - small or strong.

[BTW the Discovery battery is said to deliver 350 full power pops which would be plenty for most uses. But I shoot a lot ;)]

I'm not looking to run anything big off the Discovery but then how do you define big?

What will & wont it take in your opinion?

My needs would be a 70cm BD with Grid at most with the Ring on axes & possibly 120cm Octa.

I don't run and gun so much anymore so 350 would most likely be enough and for the weight and size another battery wouldn't hurt.

Can the power of the Discovery be turned down lower than the Safari??

Yes, the Discovery goes down to 1/16th power, the Safari goes down to 1/8th.

I'm not looking to run anything big off the Discovery but then how do you define big?

My needs would be a 70cm BD with Grid at most with the Ring on axes & possibly 120cm Octa.
Just opinion, haven't had time to try it for myself yet, but I think that the 70cm beauty dish might be pushing it a bit - it's a heavy beast.

Garry beat me to it....but bear in mind the head bracket is made of plastic and is a "standard" Jinbei product rather than one that's been reengineered by Lencarta. I'd suggest a big beauty dish is too heavy for safe use. Biggish softboxes will probably be OK but I'd expect a bit of drooping if it gets windy.

The risk is that you put so much pressure on the locking bracket to hold the weight that it eventually cracks. It may work fine for a while and then break. That's a risk with any plastic mount flash head (and I'd include the Samrtflash in that). Safari has a completely different bracket with metal components - very similar to the Elite Pro one.

But I'll stress that I haven't tried this at all - there was one in the country and I didn't fancy being the person to break it.

Garry beat me to it....but bear in mind the head bracket is made of plastic and is a "standard" Jinbei product rather than one that's been reengineered by Lencarta. I'd suggest a big beauty dish is too heavy for safe use. Biggish softboxes will probably be OK but I'd expect a bit of drooping if it gets windy.

The risk is that you put so much pressure on the locking bracket to hold the weight that it eventually cracks. It may work fine for a while and then break. That's a risk with any plastic mount flash head (and I'd include the Samrtflash in that). Safari has a completely different bracket with metal components - very similar to the Elite Pro one.

But I'll stress that I haven't tried this at all - there was one in the country and I didn't fancy being the person to break it.

Hmmm I'll wait and see then see who breaks one first :), I use a 70cm BD on smartflash head its fine i do tighten them up quite a bit lol and they've not broken (touch wood).

Luckily I've still got a 500R + travelpak but its weighty was looking at these cause discovery is Cheap and lightweight :) more emphases on cheap mind lol :p

Well, we had a SmartFlash with a 70cm beauty dish on it at Focus, and it did creep a bit - which it wouldn't have done with the ElitePro, which has a more positive locking action. The Discovery has a similar locking action to the SmartFlash, which is why I'm not going to recommend anything as heavy as a 70cm beauty dish.

Mind you, I could just be being over cautious, the weight was bearing down on the head for 6 days:)

BTW, hope you all like my new avetar - people seem to be aiming at me sometimes:LOL::LOL::LOL:

A couple of the new products from Focus have now wandered onto the website:)
A small product shooting table that folds completely flat in seconds (Darren, eat your heart out):)
And a small boom arm with a telescopic top bar, complete with stand

Garry, you said that your batteries cannot be delivered by air - are they not safe for air travel at all?

many LI-ION batteries are made to some certain spec so that they can be taken by air, even in hand luggage, and you can get certificates or documentation as such - is this something that you'd be able to provide for the discovery?

Coming from the profoto website, the particular regs:
The battery is licensed to travel and has been tested and certifed according to UN manual of Test & Criteria, Part III, Sub-section 38.3. Making the battery flight approved all over the world.

Would you be able to shed any light on this? Technical and nitpicky question I know, and not trying to catch you out or anything, but re-evaluating my equipment options at the moment and the discovery does look like a cool product, and would let me be able to have a ring flash too... Need to be able to fly with it though.

more info here from the TSA... http://safetravel.dot.gov/larger_batt.html

just seen this:
All dangerous goods including perfumery products and lithium batteries are prohibited
to be sent to overseas destinations by air mail.

in this document: http://www.hongkongpost.com/eng/publications/guide/content/6.3.pdf

presumably this is the issue that you're facing and my fears are ungrounded? Availability of a certificate of compliance for air travel would be awesome if you were able to supply one though...

Last edited:
A good question, but there is absolutely no problem as far as 'normal' air travel is concerned.

The only problem is with air transport of commercial quantities, which simply isn't allowed. Strangely, it is allowed if sent via a courier such as DHL (even though it probably travels on the same passenger aircraft) but I don't yet know whether this is economically viable.

That's rules and regulations for you:crying:

A good question, but there is absolutely no problem as far as 'normal' air travel is concerned.

The only problem is with air transport of commercial quantities, which simply isn't allowed. Strangely, it is allowed if sent via a courier such as DHL (even though it probably travels on the same passenger aircraft) but I don't yet know whether this is economically viable.

That's rules and regulations for you:crying:

gotcha, sorry for the waffling post with lots of edits :p

And yes, hell may be freezing over ;) Contemplating my options...

Will you be doing a head extension cable for the discovery?

Last edited:

Having been messing with the Safari now for about a year I would say that it goes low enough other than with the ring light BUT I just bought 1 sheet of ND gel and cut two giant polos out of it!

I like the boom but I already have a product table :)
I know you have - I remember you saying how good it was, once you'd done your physics degree to work out how to put it together:)

So is the Safari definitely staying? I need another power pack

Having been messing with the Safari now for about a year I would say that it goes low enough other than with the ring light BUT I just bought 1 sheet of ND gel and cut two giant polos out of it!

That is what I did but its such a faf would be nicer just to power it down.

Also whats the chances of having a modifier to make the ringflash a little bigger like you can get on some of the other makes (only one that springs to mind is the AlienBee softbox)

Hensel do one that fits the Eli/profoto ect.. i know someone with one and it gives a great light!! id have one tomorrow if i could!

That is what I did but its such a faf would be nicer just to power it down.

Also whats the chances of having a modifier to make the ringflash a little bigger like you can get on some of the other makes (only one that springs to mind is the AlienBee softbox)
I did try to get some accessories, similar to the AB ones but nothing ever happened, I'll try again.

Hensel do one that fits the Eli/profoto ect.. i know someone with one and it gives a great light!! id have one tomorrow if i could!

Same :) well along with another ring :p was a bit silly of me to flog the thing but I'm am still seriously considering putting a discovery on the CC :p lol although I think I'm running out of time might need to push it back till the 2nd batch come over :).

I did try to get some accessories, similar to the AB ones but nothing ever happened, I'll try again.

I did have a ponder at how it could work as in some sort of clip like the diffuser then maybe use the screws on the back to secure it further so it its a bit more solid :) has to be a market for something or other manufacturers wouldn't have them.

Back