Beginner New Lens Coming Tomorrow.

Name
Denis
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi have a Tamron 150-600 coming, hope I made the right choice. At first will I get good results in Auto?
I have lots of lovely wildlife places to shoot here in Devon so auto until I get use to it as not an expert :rolleyes:

Heard it is a good lens. Why not A mode other then Auto mode..

Wildlife photography requires readiness at all times.

A bird may land into the scene or just take off. A buch of
deers may cross a clearing very suddenly.

Everything, anything may appear with notice and could be
worth shooting… one has got to be ready.

Two points to consider here in terms of readiness:
  1. precision
  2. flexibility
Precision.
When it will time to shoot, it's already too late for any kind of
adjustments unless your subject is sitting like a dead duck.
Your setup must permit precise exposure and focus.

Flexibility.
This comes with prefixed
functions that will leave others to
react, adapt to the shooting situation, condition; only that
one to support predictable results.

I saw that you work with the devil's tools ;) but I speak in
Nikon terms… so you will have to translate my setup:
Aperture priority, ISO 800, AF-CH single central point, BBF.
These are my prefixed functions, leaving SS to react, adapt.

Last edited:
Have you got a tripod Denis?

I prefer using mine on a tripod, to help ensure there's no blur, I also mainly use the settings that Daniel has listed above.
I've never used it with the auto setting, always been manual or aperture mode.

It's a great lens, when you get a good image it shows that the equipment is fine and it's yourself that's not perfect, well I speak for myself, lol

I prefer using mine on a tripod

Of course! Both my long lenses are mounted on a "beefy" CF tripods
and gimbals: Canadian made Black Widows from JOBU Design.

Is that your new avatar Tom? I kinda liked your hat! :)

Last edited:
I saw that you work with the devil's tools ;) but I speak in
Nikon terms… so you will have to translate my setup:
Aperture priority, ISO 800, AF-CH single central point, BBF.
These are my prefixed functions, leaving SS to react, adapt.

To translate from Nikonese to Canonite, Av mode. IIRC, the rest of the instructions are the same in both lingos! Not 100% sure what the H after AF-C means but AF-C is continuous AF. BBF is Back Button Focus which some find helpful but takes some getting used to IME.

Not 100% sure what the H after AF-C means but AF-C is continuous AF

Thanks Nod. kind of you! :)

AF-CH = Auto Focus Continuous High (high speed triggering).

Of course! Both my long lenses are mounted on a "beefy" CF tripods
and gimbals: Canadian made Black Widows from JOBU Design.

Is that your new avatar Tom? I kinda liked your hat! :)

Yep, just thought i'd have a wee change, still have the hat though.

I've got some cracking shoots with mine, handheld used to team it with a 1200d canon, which meant that if was front heavy, with this camera before I learnt my camera properly (went on a one to one days, course) I used to prefer the result from using the sport mode, rather than the Auto seen... I now normally use AV, sometimes I swap to TV depends on what results I'm getting.

I now team it with a 7d mk 2, which balance is so much better and makes wielding around slightly easier.

Two factors for me though, is it's an heavy set up, and I'm an average height female.... I've impressed a few when I've been out, and at times when I'm tracking over head, I've almost come a cropper and land flat on my back,:rolleyes: Another thing that must impact on my picture, I have a crushed nerve in my elbow, plus trigger finger, apart from the issue caused by the trigger finger, I have no feeling as such across half my hand, with the muscles around this area being weaker!

but yes I'm considering a gimbal to go on my tripod, my excuse for this to hubby, is that once I have my ops on elbow and hand, I'm not going to be able to do much strenuous lifting ect for around 2 months at least, so be on sick leave from work, and not able to use my lens due to weight for 2 months, is well gonna turn me from my normal harmless scatty into a psychotic wild women.... Might be wise to purchase if it enables me to take a photo the week after my ops.... :LOL:

Thanks & Good Luck with the Ops.

I've got some cracking shoots with mine, handheld used to team it with a 1200d canon, which meant that if was front heavy, with this camera before I learnt my camera properly (went on a one to one days, course) I used to prefer the result from using the sport mode, rather than the Auto seen... I now normally use AV, sometimes I swap to TV depends on what results I'm getting.

I now team it with a 7d mk 2, which balance is so much better and makes wielding around slightly easier.

Two factors for me though, is it's an heavy set up, and I'm an average height female.... I've impressed a few when I've been out, and at times when I'm tracking over head, I've almost come a cropper and land flat on my back,:rolleyes: Another thing that must impact on my picture, I have a crushed nerve in my elbow, plus trigger finger, apart from the issue caused by the trigger finger, I have no feeling as such across half my hand, with the muscles around this area being weaker!

but yes I'm considering a gimbal to go on my tripod, my excuse for this to hubby, is that once I have my ops on elbow and hand, I'm not going to be able to do much strenuous lifting ect for around 2 months at least, so be on sick leave from work, and not able to use my lens due to weight for 2 months, is well gonna turn me from my normal harmless scatty into a psychotic wild women.... Might be wise to purchase if it enables me to take a photo the week after my ops.... :LOL:

Got my Lens delivered today not had a chance to use yet, BUT :eek: when connected to my Canon 60D there is slight movement between camera and lens? tried all my other lenses and no movement at all.
Its not a lot couple of mm ish. Anyone else have this with there's??

Same with the 70-300mm, just the way they are.

Back