'New' Nikon Fe blank frame problem

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just put a test film through a 'new' Nikon Fe. Thirty four frames have come out as expected, but I got two blank frames in the middle on the film. Both of these frames are completely blank and do not appear to have been exposed, but do have the frame numbers. I can remember taking a couple of pictures that are 'missing'. I am guessing this might mean the shutter might be sticking and did not open for these two frames? Is this a likely cause of this problem? Any suggestions great appreciated.

Thanks for the link, it was two frames next to each other, indecently (?) both taken at the top shutter speed. The issues described on the Flickr group sound exactly like the issues I have, looks like the shutter is sticking, either randomly or at higher speeds. The camera is still in warranty from the shop I purchased it from, so I guess it is going back.

It has an electronically controlled shutter, so it sounds like the 1/1000 setting may no longer be operational. That could be a mechanical issue, but could also be an electrical issue.

Yeah I agree I think it has issues, sad as it is my first Nikon film body and I really enjoy using it. Still hopefully the dealer can sort it out or swap it for another. I am sure it is a shutter issue as the frame spacing, sprockets etc are fine, Thanks again for the link very useful.

If don't have a film in it at the moment you can check the shutter actually exposes with the back open and setting it to 1/1000th. Point the lens at a plain lit surface. One gotcha is that some cameras operate at a low but set shutter speed when back open, not sure about FE, but manual will say.

Yeah I agree I think it has issues, sad as it is my first Nikon film body and I really enjoy using it.

The FE remains one of my favourite film SLRs - I 'upgraded' to an FE2 (the faster shutter speed options can come in useful.... on one or two days a year), but I gelled with the FE so well. Choose aperture, frame, focus, shoot, wind, next shot.

Back