New nikon FF action camera

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Specs still seem very unsure. Friday was that it would be a d600 type body priced between the d610 and d810. New post is saying its an action camera, with many hoping for what they call a true d700 replacement.. d4s sensor and AF in a smaller body.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/08/11/t...marketed-as-an-action-camera.aspx/#more-78882

I was considering a d810 just for the AF upgrade, but will hold out to see what happens here,as if it was a mini d4s that would be interesting. If its in a d610 body not so much.

I have no idea what an 'action camera' is, but if it's a FF pro body camera with a flip out screen, Nikon has my full attention!

I was thinking the same thing.... action camera? Wouldn't that be the D4s??

Flip out screen.... Hmm.. for actually composing and shooting? Wouldn't that need live view, and therefore be really, really terrible as an action camera due to not being able to use the phase detection AF system?

Must mean action as in something you'd want to take with you when YOU are doing "action" stuff... hence small, light etc.

Last edited:
Nikons mirrorless cameras are generally pretty good in terms of AF, maybe they've learnt that a major issue with the 1 series is the tiny sensor so are targeting the Sony A7.

Will be interesting to see what it is. If it's an action camera as they say then A D810 with the 24MP sensor and an FPS that splits the difference of an 810 and a 4s would be nice. But that would almost certainly rob share from both. So would Nikon hobble something or just price it so that net they don't loose money, rather transfer users from other cameras (both up from say the D300/7x00 and down from the Dx ranges).

For me a D810, with 24MP around 7-8 FPS and a longer buffer and I'm sold. Priced rightly of course.

If it's the A7s sensor, as some suggest, I wouldn't be interested at all.

I tell you what, I'll be bloody annoyed if it turns out this new FF camera is in a D300/700 type body with 24 mpx, as this is exactly what I want my new D610 to be.

Not as annoyed as my missus as I'll have to swap the D610 for it, and find an excuse with her!

Reactions: ST4
I tell you what, I'll be bloody annoyed if it turns out this new FF camera is in a D300/700 type body with 24 mpx, as this is exactly what I want my new D610 to be.

Not as annoyed as my missus as I'll have to swap the D610 for it, and find an excuse with her!

Yep. I like my D610 and D800 but the build/layout of the 800 feels so much better and it's just nicer to use

action camera is normaly what id think a go pro and similer are

but yeah bit of how can we not kill d4s sales issue

Better start thinking of something to tell her... If it's not an un-handicapped D6xx then I can't imagine why they would be making it; there's no niche for anything else.

Will be interesting to see what it is. If it's an action camera as they say then A D810 with the 24MP sensor and an FPS that splits the difference of an 810 and a 4s would be nice. But that would almost certainly rob share from both. So would Nikon hobble something or just price it so that net they don't loose money, rather transfer users from other cameras (both up from say the D300/7x00 and down from the Dx ranges)

Any new camera will probably result in lost share for other models. Bringing in the D6xx would have meant less D7xxx or D8xx sales, the DF would eat into D8xx or D4 sales too.

Personally speaking I think Nikon have messed up in their thinking over the past few years. At the time the D300 was a legendary camera, with the D700 being similar. For serious amateurs or professionals they gave weather sealed solid bodies, with lots of external controls and a nice big size with great AF. The D6xx series does not interest me for those reasons. However, I do not have the £2k+ for the D8xx or D4 models. I would say that a D700 size camera, with good AF and 18-24MP is the perfect choice and would make me seriously tempted to upgrade.

D300 replacement but full frame? Would seem to make sense, with MPs as they are now they can add a perfectly useable DX mode in and give people the best of both worlds, a fast DX 'action' camera with a wide spread of AF points, along with an FX body for general use. Rugged, weather sealed, lots of external control, job done.

I would have gone with that niche quite happily.

If it's a 16-24mp FX, with 51pt AF, in a similar body to D810 then I'd seriously consider one.

The only thing lacking (for me) in my D700 is a 100% view finder & the sensor. The sensor is still very good, but in comparison to current FX sensors it's showing its age particularly with DR. Even having a nice bright detailed LCD screen (like my D7100) would be a god send as D700's seems woeful in comparison.

The D700 can't compete with the newer cameras in terms of DR and colours but the AF is still better than the D610 in my experience. I bought at D610 as the colours were closer to those of my D4 which made for easier editing. The D610 wasn't the camera I wanted but I find it more practical than the D800. A D710, basically a D810 with a 16/24mp sensor would be everything I want in a camera. I wouldn't even need it to be cheaper than the D810.

................................oh don't go telling Nikon that for goodness sake!!!

haha! It's true though. I've shelled out for D610 and D800 bodies when I didn't want either. I'd happily pay the price of a D810 for a camera with the same specs/body but smaller sensor.

from NR - 'Very light body (probably similar to the D610 and Df, maybe even lighter)'

with a flip out screen, suggests either a new body design or D610 adaptation to me, rather than a D810 with D610 sensor (which would be nice, but kill off many D810 sales). If I hadn't have read what was on NR I would have guessed a D610 (ish body) with D4s AF, using sony's 12mp sensor from A7S.

from NR - 'Very light body (probably similar to the D610 and Df, maybe even lighter)'

with a flip out screen, suggests either a new body design or D610 adaptation to me, rather than a D810 with D610 sensor (which would be nice, but kill off many D810 sales). If I hadn't have read what was on NR I would have guessed a D610 (ish body) with D4s AF, using sony's 12mp sensor from A7S.

So what's the point of that, surely it's barely different from the d610?

So what's the point of that, surely it's barely different from the d610?

12mp with insane high ISO capabilities, improved frame rate, improved buffering, D4s AF (as I've found with D810) is a massive step up from the D610. I'm not saying its the right camera for Nikon to release, but if the rumours are right and its a lightweight FF action camera, that's what I would guess it to be.

Last edited:
Nah, 16 was the new 12, but now 12 is the new 16, or so Sony think! Have a look at some of the A7s high ISO examples out there, very impressive, DXO rate it too (for what its worth) http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Ratings/Sports

I wonder if Nikon are going down the same route as Sony, with one camera body and several variants for different purposes (A7*), with the D610 chassis as the base, the DF is pretty much a D610 with 16mp sensor and some extra dials IIRC.

Last edited:
I think the d610 is superb but isnt quite 'pro' enough for my tastes. When used to the d4 its failings are more pronounced. With d800 af, bigger buffer, lv exposure preview and some usability tweaks it would be perfect. A d710 that improved on the d610 in those areas would get my money, or just a 16/24mp version of the d810.

Perhaps nikon has realised that they should've had a 24mp d800 and 36mp d800e originally and are redressing that now with a d710 and d810?

Pretty much sums up my views on where Nikon & Canon have been heading.
I've moved away from Nikon but really do wish them the best with this new upcoming body.
It needs to be something different in my eyes. :)

Pretty much sums up my views on where Nikon & Canon have been heading.
I've moved away from Nikon but really do wish them the best with this new upcoming body.
It needs to be something different in my eyes. :)
Seems a bit video focused. Yes I see some good ideas but not everyone wants to shoot video. I'm not saying that the big 2 should ignore it, but at the same time I would suggest it isn't the biggest deal either. The people wanting to shoot video are now moving off to proper video systems if they have the budget, if not the SLR stuff is fine still you just have a few ergonomics issues. Basically what I am saying I bought a stills camera that happens to shoot video, not the other way round.

Ultimately the true advantage of mirrorless, to me, isn't really size (all the ones I've held I find too small) it's the lack of a mirror. You can have a 5D/D800 size body for ergonomics with no mirror for speed and more accurate focus, that is possibly the future for stills. At least in the medium future.

So you all basically want 5D3 just with nikon mount? :) I suppose you have to make the use of your F mount lenses somewhow...

:exit:
For me at least, yes. I did look into swapping to a 5Diii in Feb/March but the cost of selling my 300 2.8 VR and replacing it with the canon mk2 just made it a non starter. It really came down to the cost of the big whites.

That said the D810 pretty much covers the holes I saw in the D800(E) and who knows what this will do.

I have to admit I struggle to see where it would fit in Nikon's range without taking sales from somewhere else

Its shouldn't matter that it will take sales from the d810 and d610. They'll still be nikon sales. I know 5 photographers that jumped ship to canon when the 5diii came out - i considered it. Plenty of people are still shooting d700s and waiting for something that they feel is a proper replacement.

If the rumours are right, with this camera nikon will have a superior ff lineup to everyone else and something to suit most, if not all photographers.

As steve jobs said, if you don't cannibalise your own sales someone else will.

Totally agree with Decigallen.

I've considered jumping over to Canon 5D3 as it's the one camera I wish was a Nikon as it would make a worthy upgrade to my D700. I have no interest or need for 36mp, I couldn't tolerate the D600/610 smaller AF window, less pro controls and the D4 series is just way too expensive for me. I'm sure many other D700 owners have stuck with their D700 for very similar reasons.

If the D800 had been 24mp I'd have bought one, but I'd love to know Nikon's logic in making the D800/D800E both 36mp. A 24mp D800 would've competed more directly with a 5D3 and a 36mp D800E would've offered something Canon (currently) don't.

I've considered jumping over to Canon 5D3 as it's the one camera I wish was a Nikon as it would make a worthy upgrade to my D700. I have no interest or need for 36mp, I couldn't tolerate the D600/610 smaller AF window, less pro controls and the D4 series is just way too expensive for me. I'm sure many other D700 owners have stuck with their D700 for very similar reasons.

If the D800 had been 24mp I'd have bought one, but I'd love to know Nikon's logic in making the D800/D800E both 36mp. A 24mp D800 would've competed more directly with a 5D3 and a 36mp D800E would've offered something Canon (currently) don't.

Exactly this. To bring out the d800 and the e seemed crazy when you see the gap within the range.

Yup, i said as much above. Sony was bang on with the a7 variations. Im imagining that the d710 will be what the d800 should've been while the d810 replaces the d800e. I have a d610 as a backup for my d4. Its an excellent camera but just falls short of being a pro body. Id happily pay the price of a d810 for a camera that was identical but had 16/24mp.

Yup, i said as much above. Sony was bang on with the a7 variations. Im imagining that the d710 will be what the d800 should've been while the d810 replaces the d800e. I have a d610 as a backup for my d4. Its an excellent camera but just falls short of being a pro body. Id happily pay the price of a d810 for a camera that was identical but had 16/24mp.
Nikon DF maybe

Back