New Old Film Challenge #150 - Shopping - POLL ADDED

Voting is now open for three days so please choose your favourite three entries!

• Mrs Snap - Birmingham hat shop

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • NickT - Christmas at Selfridges

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • dmb - Photoshopping

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FishyFish - Hats & Tiaras

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • AndySnap - Jewellery shop

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Kevin Allan - Redscaled shopping

• excalibur2 - Somewhere ooop north

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Simon Ess - Morrisons

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • RaglanSurf - Mmmmm, What to chose?

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • PeterSpencer - Mrs Butterworth's shop

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • ChrisR - Thessaloniki deli

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Peter B - Entertaining the shoppers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
Non-essential retail has re-opened, so let's see your photos of the same: Shops, shoppers, shopping bags etc. "Essential" retail (Supermarkets, chemists, DIY stores etc.) are also allowed.

As usual the following rules apply:

Must be taken by you
Must be on film
Must have been taken, developed and scanned prior to the start date.​

Please include details of the camera, lens, emulsion and anything else of relevance if you can possibly remember that far back.

One Entry per person

Entries will close Tuesday 20 April and voting will be open for 3 days after that.

Entries only in this thread. Discussion in the new composite discussion thread: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/new-old-film-challenge-discussion-thread.698995/

somewhere ooop north on a meet:-
rQszDxP.jpg

This is going back a while, possibly 1963. I had a friend at school whose parents had a corner shop near where I lived. I took this almost certainly with my Halina 35X on HP4, home processed in an Ensign daylight developing tank, similar, if not identical, to a an Agfa Rodinax. Here is Mrs Butterworth serving a customer maybe with a big lump of lovely Lancashire cheese. Ed's sister is hovering in the background. The shop is surprisingly very spartan, compared to shops nowadays.
Old_5and6_002_JPEG5.jpg
The photograph is almost a complete technical disaster not the least because I didn't look after the negatives. I didn't have a light meter so I just guessed, focussing as well, I wasn't hung up on those sort of technicalities when I was in my teens, just go out and shoot some pictures . My dad wouldn't let me use his Weston Master II, which I |would have preferred, as I think it must have cost a relatively large amount of money in the 1950's and he especially wouldn't lend me his Voigtlander Vito I. Ha, ha dad! I've got it now and the light meter!
If I remember rightly there was a dining room at the back of the shop with a range. Quite an austere existence and long hours I imagine. I was there once just after closing when they counted the takings at the end of the day, lots of copper, enough to cover the dining table.
Ed's dad though wasn't too badly off. He owned a Rolleiflex which Ed finally inherited, that's the f&c hook for this essay. About the same time this picture was taken, Ed decided to use it to make a picture of his grandma when she was laid out in one of the upstairs bedrooms but Mrs Butterworth forbade it. I used the Rolleiflex once to document an inter-school tiddlywinks contest between Bolton School and Bury Grammar, never gave a thought to how wonderful the camera was, I can't even remember what it was like to handle. It was just an innocent matter of getting some shots. As for the match, I have no idea which team won. But I was probably indoctrinated to believe that Bolton School, being direct grant, must have automatically beaten a mere grammar school. I got my comeuppance a few years later when I played rugby against Bury and the team I played with, not Bolton School obviously, got wasted 65:3.
Surprising what you remembers from one crude grab shot, isn't it?

Never heard of Dunhills sweets probably a northern treat that didn't get to the south.........................

Ay, it's northern thing. I found a website which reveals this "Dunhills, the original maker of Pontefract Cakes, was acquired by German confectionary giant Haribo in 1994", sorry I have editied the quotataion. If Dunhills were the orginal makers then I must have eaten their confectionary, my dad was a Pontefract cake fanatic.

Thessaloniki deli, 1970... such a shock to see someone smoking in a food shop, isn't it?

Thessaloniki 11.jpg

Werra 1, ORWO NP20 film. It's largely because of this shot that I've bought a few rolls of more modern ORWO films to try!

Back