• RaglanSurf

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
I've tried to think of something a bit different for this challenge. The theme is to show a photo that tells everyone something about you. Whether it's a photo of a hobby you have, something from your past or any other interesting part of your life that shows other forum members a little bit about the person behind the avatar.

Rules, as usual:
  • Must be a photograph taken by you
  • Must be on film
  • Must have been taken prior to the start date
  • Please tell us about the camera and film etc, and a small description of the photo.
Closing date is 1st March at lunch time, and I'll get a poll up for a few days after that.

Entries only in here please. the discussion thread is here

Last edited:
I have better shots than this, but given that it was my first car, it fits the theme best. Just a fairly low-quality scan of the print (I don't have the negative anymore, sadly), and while I can't be sure 100%, it was probably shot on a Canon SureShot Telemax compact. No idea what the film was - probably some own-brand 200 ASA stuff from someplace. I'd love to say it was a great car, but it had holes in the footwells, and the front brakes would sometimes lock in place and the resulting smoke-screen would make it appear you had nicked one of James Bond's gadgets from his DB5.

The central positioning of the subject and general laissez-faire attitude to composition is a deliberate pooh-poohing to the photographic establishment, and is what makes this "art". :whistle:

IMG_20150726_0053.jpg

My bike outside the Eveyman Theatre, Liverpool. I'm in the shot too and I was born in the hospital just behind the theatre. The hospital is now a student residence. There is a plaque commemorating John Lennon's birthplace, I didn't merit one!

Olympus XA3, Vista.

For me it’s going to have to be one of those gig photos I used to take, I’ve always been into good, live, rock and blues music, so I suppose that’s part of what makes me ‘me’, or should that be ‘You’?! :confused: Anyway, here’s one of Kim Simmonds of Savoy Brown, taken at Colne R&B Festival in 2003, using a Canon EOS 3, EF 28-135 IS zoom and Fuji 1600 ISO film (scanned from a print).

Last edited:
R1-04578-007A.jpg

Self portrait ;) Taken at croxden abbey. Vista and the Vivitar 35EF. That was the face I pulled at most of the potholes. It's the face I have on a lot lately as there seem to be a lot of things that are irritating me at the moment!

I've posted this here before, but it's one of my favourite shots. Taken on a Canon 600, with the Sigma Super-wide 28mm lens (noisy autofocus), on Fujifilm Superia 400. Love the oversaturated look and the almost-fisheye angle of view. My little feet and colourful trainers - taken in 2012 on a summer holiday.

... and here I am, trapped on a stone. by Charlotte Davis, on Flickr

My T4 van. Bought it nearly two years ago to use for camping. This was taken when I went to the Brecon Beacons last summer with my girlfriend. I absolutely love going away in it, waking up each morning in a stunning area of Wales, then sitting outside cooking some bacon deciding where to go for the day. Amazing.

Hasselblad 500cm, Fuji Pro 400H, Carmencita Lab.

Transporter
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

This was my entry for the 2014 postcard challenge, to illustrate a song title. I used to dabble with the guitar (no really, dabble), and like my father, increasingly need glasses, so I guess I've got his eyes. I guess I also like constructing shots like this, although I confess I don't do it very often.

EDIT: Also just realised I bought that guitar in Singapore in 1971, on a stopover on the way to Australia for a 2 year contract that turned into 20 years! At the same time I bought my first SLR, a Pentax Spotmatic that got swapped for an Electro Spotmatic then a Pentax ME (which I still have, though it's pretty much defunct) before getting the charity shop MX a year or so before this shot was taken, just after getting back into film.

CB1403PMXB08 by Chris Rusbridge, on Flickr

"My father's eyes..."

Tri-X taken on the charity shop Pentax MX, not sure what lens. Processed at Peak, home scanned.

Last edited:
For the past 35 years, holidays have been at this cabin in Assynt, NW Scotland. Great views, but the trees make it midge central when the wind dies down. :eek: Film was Fuji Sensia and the date on the mount is 2003, so either the Konica FC1 or just possibly the Nikon F80. And the problems of a polariser on a wideangle lens!

2017-02-25-0002-red.jpg

Window Selfie. Me, Blad and big Billingham!
Hasselblad 500CM, 60mm Zeiss Distagon, Ilford FP4
27596463696_c423a92fd1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Selfie in cycling gear in 1985, when I had more hair and much less weight, and the year I first became a dad. Taken on Linnels Bridge in Northumberland and must have blocked the narrow bridge with a tripod to get the image. Canon AE-1 and slide film. I still cycle occasionally and still look serious

1985 Devils Water cyclist.jpg

Last edited:
Time for a last minute entry.

It's 1989 and I had just given up work to go to North East London Polytechnic and was discovering the freedom that being a full time tax dodger brings.

Shot on an OM1 I think in the Photographers Gallery when it was still in Newport Street.

OM1n FP4 London 1989 23 by Nick Watson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well done folks, a couple of cracking shots.

Cheers all. I shall liaise with Mr R asap.

Last edited:
Well thanks everyone. Awaiting incoming from Mr Snap.

Well done you two, very good comp entries. Congrats to you both.(y)

Back