New Old Film Challenge discussion thread

Does that really matter, as long as it fits the brief? Or can be shoehorned.

Definitely fits the brief in all respects except the unwritten one (that the shot be any good!). TBH in the end I did have quite a nice candidate from the Oxford meet, but I decided to go with this entry instead.

@ChrisR

Back then they probably gave him back his gun and wished him g'day.

Now, I think he'd be on the next flight out.

I'm beginning to wonder if this was in fact on a later flight, as I already knew there was no chance of him getting his gun back while in Australia!

Poll added folks.

Fab theme idea is Designed Water - not seen that one anywhere before :)

Really interesting choice of subject, made me dig way down deep into the virtual shoebox.

Just one thing @Peter B is there any reason the entries are open for nearly 2 weeks? Standard timings are a week for entries and 3 days to vote. Of course the 7 days are open to f&c interpretation and forgetfulness but usually a week is plenty of time to dig out even the most archaic of photos.

Really interesting choice of subject, made me dig way down deep into the virtual shoebox.

Just one thing @Peter B is there any reason the entries are open for nearly 2 weeks? Standard timings are a week for entries and 3 days to vote. Of course the 7 days are open to f&c interpretation and forgetfulness but usually a week is plenty of time to dig out even the most archaic of photos.
You're quite right Nick, I had seen it as 10 days or so. Obviously that should have been 7 days plus 3 for voting.

You're quite right Nick, I had seen it as 10 days or so. Obviously that should have been 7 days plus 3 for voting.
Ok,it’s not a problem we’ve had them last for weeks before (y)

That's the poll added for 115, so 3 days for voting! :)

I can't believe I forgot to enter! I remember going through my catalogue and finding a couple of candidates, but got a bit distracted. Oh well, voted, anyway.

Well all mistakes and crappy shots are deleted from my computer...so can't find one. :(

The idea isn’t to post crappy shots. It’s shots that you like despite their problems. :)

Well I suppose I can put one up with a light leak but I only kept them for reference in case someone wanted to know what type of light leaks you can get.

Any theories on what happened to Simon ess's shot ? I really like the affect !

Yeah, I thought that too. But wouldn't the bench also be distorted in some way?

That is a point. Looks something like what happens if you put one of the lens elements in the wrong way round. Folks used to do that with the Helios lenses of Zeniths.

It looks a bit like the lens was zoomed during the exposure, but not sure.
Yeah, I thought that too. But wouldn't the bench also be distorted in some way?
Yeah, I think a zoom-burst would affect the whole image, not just the edges.

I think a zoom during exposure is most likely. Distant objects and centre of frame seem to be affected by zooming rather less, and particularly if the zoom didn't happen straight away. But these effects are quite unpredictable.

So @simon ess , welcome to the world of UICM!

It's a zoom burst, but as it's unintentional it's not a particularly extreme version. If you Google zoom burst you can see similar 'mild' examples where the central detail and sharpness is preserved. That'll teach you not to cough or sneeze when taking photos! :giggle:

Back