new scam ---- be careful

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
just had a extremely good scam attempt ,while my guard was down ,,
as with most people I have stuff on order at this time of year , expecting a parcel from EVRI so when I got a e/mail this morning re attempted delivery from EVRI I started to fill in my details for re-delivery didn't suss it till they asked for payment details to re-deliver ...
it all appeared legit till then .. and checked with the official EVRI site my actual parcel is out for delivery today ... I suspect it was either very clever phishing at this time of year or someone in the organisation is working a major scam
BE CAREFULL my guard was down due to personal factors sick wife /sick dog/ lack of sleep take care people

There's nothing new about this particular scam, it's been doing the rounds for years, with small variations.
I suspect it was either very clever phishing at this time of year or someone in the organisation is working a major scam
Probably just random. The large couriers make thousands of deliveries each day, so there's always a chance that the victim is expecting a delivery and may fall for the scam. If the scammers send out 10,000 emails in a day and one in a thousand people fall for it, they can empty 10 bank accounts per day, and the police won't do anything about it . . .

I get occasional scam emails "from" well-known banks that I don't bank with. I never get any "from" Coutts & Co though, because the scammers know that very few people have an account with them.

As I said I’m normally extremely careful but this caught me when my guard was down and it was extremely good

I get lots of those delivery scam emails but it's usually/always easy to see they're a scam from the senders details. Easy to be taken in and click a link though and I can't really blame anyone for doing this. We have to reserve our criticism for the scum sending them.

Such 'scattergun' scams rely on a combination of social engineering & psychology :(

A pity the scroats that perpetrate the crimes go uncaught & unpunished,!

A pity the scroats that perpetrate the crimes go uncaught & unpunished,!
Usually because many of the scams originate in another country and aren’t therefore subject to U.K. law ;)

I’ve heard that the scammers deliberately insert speeling or grammatical mistakes into a lot of these emails. Anyone that doesn’t notice is more likely to be daft enough to fall for the scam.

Usually because many of the scams originate in another country and aren’t therefore subject to U.K. law ;)
Or because there's a lack of funding and will, with fraud complaints filtered by a hopelessly inefficient "National Fraud Intelligence Bureau" before passing a tiny percentage of them to the police. See this thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/online-fraud-problem.755017/
I’ve heard that the scammers deliberately insert speeling or grammatical mistakes into a lot of these emails. Anyone that doesn’t notice is more likely to be daft enough to fall for the scam.
Maybe, but the more common reason, used with the 419 scams, is to convince the potential victims that the scammers are just honest but poorly educated people, which gives an assumed advantage to the victim. These scams rely on the greed of the victim, so do "investment" scams.

Maybe, but the more common reason, used with the 419 scams, is to convince the potential victims that the scammers are just honest but poorly educated people, which gives an assumed advantage to the victim. These scams rely on the greed of the victim, so do "investment" scams.

That doesn't really work for all the courier and bank scams, for example. An email from. a bank is not coming from an honest but poorly educated person.

just had a extremely good scam attempt ,while my guard was down ,,
as with most people I have stuff on order at this time of year , expecting a parcel from EVRI so when I got a e/mail this morning re attempted delivery from EVRI I started to fill in my details for re-delivery didn't suss it till they asked for payment details to re-deliver ...
it all appeared legit till then .. and checked with the official EVRI site my actual parcel is out for delivery today ... I suspect it was either very clever phishing at this time of year or someone in the organisation is working a major scam
BE CAREFULL my guard was down due to personal factors sick wife /sick dog/ lack of sleep take care people
Strangely enough I had scam text message from Evri regarding a parcel I returned to Amazon using them (evri). It makes me wonder how secure their data protection is.

Strangely enough I had scam text message from Evri regarding a parcel I returned to Amazon using them (evri). It makes me wonder how secure their data protection is.
I does make you wonder .. wouldn't be hard to get someone on the inside feeding out info ..I didn't twig mine till nearly to late as it came through on my phone and as before my guard was down due to personal problems

Back