Clicking a image takes you away from your website, Why?

Hey guys, I'm graduating from uni in a few weeks and I'm going into full time photography/film production with a friend. We've got our website up and running and a showreel to show off the sort of footage we capture. Feedback would be appreciated! Enjoy.

www.escapade7.com

That's a nice showreel. Nice combination of shots - different styles, aerials, fast and slow. There's a lot of mountain biking videos about now and it's great to see top quality stuff from your reel. That last show it particularly epic.

The showreel seems very impressive. There were a couple of times I felt like there were shifts in colour tone that were a touch jarring - but I'm looking for faults really.

I wonder if having a shorter edit too would be worthwhile - maybe closer to 60 seconds? Some of (IMO) your most impactful work is in the second half and I'd worry that as a new company people may not give you three minutes of time before forming an impression.

The showreel seems very impressive. There were a couple of times I felt like there were shifts in colour tone that were a touch jarring - but I'm looking for faults really.

I wonder if having a shorter edit too would be worthwhile - maybe closer to 60 seconds? Some of (IMO) your most impactful work is in the second half and I'd worry that as a new company people may not give you three minutes of time before forming an impression.

Cheers Mark. I have to admit, I come from solely a photography background and I'm slowly getting my head round colour correction, not as simple as Lightroom thats for sure!

Our plan was to release that showreel as our original one then bring out minute long ones a couple of times a year in future to keep it fresh with more specific focuses.

Our plan was to release that showreel as our original one then bring out minute long ones a couple of times a year in future to keep it fresh with more specific focuses.
Sounds like a good plan - look forward to seeing them!

Very professional looking showreel, I certainly enjoyed watching it.

An interesting show reel, very much enjoyed it.
A great mixture of settings and methods, a good taster of what you can do.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about video; I stumbled across this thread and was intrigued.

It's very impressive work but a fair few sequences strike me as underexposed. I'm sure it's a stylistic thing but maybe it's gone too far in places?
e.g. the mountain climber at the start, the first bit of the motorbike in the woods, the whisky collector, the urban cyclist, the van, the first part of the concert, the first shots of the canoeist and lots of other places. Basically anywhere the lighting is fairly low contrast has come out too dark; I've checked on a couple of different screens.

Or maybe the problem is that I'm looking at it on screens set up for photography and you're targeting consumer devices which most folk tend to have brighter? Even if that is the case it seems rather darker than comparable videos on Youtube.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about video; I stumbled across this thread and was intrigued.

It's very impressive work but a fair few sequences strike me as underexposed. I'm sure it's a stylistic thing but maybe it's gone too far in places?
e.g. the mountain climber at the start, the first bit of the motorbike in the woods, the whisky collector, the urban cyclist, the van, the first part of the concert, the first shots of the canoeist and lots of other places. Basically anywhere the lighting is fairly low contrast has come out too dark; I've checked on a couple of different screens.

Or maybe the problem is that I'm looking at it on screens set up for photography and you're targeting consumer devices which most folk tend to have brighter? Even if that is the case it seems rather darker than comparable videos on Youtube.

Cheers for the heads up Simon, we're learning about colour correction more and more all the time, I think the hardest thing is anticipating the difference in the footage after rendering because shots which look fine when editing can come out really overly contrasty or dark when rendered. Top of our list is to get the colours nailed because we're targeting clients who expect perfect colours.

In one or two of the individual clips of the showreel, it appears there is dust on your sensor eg from 45 seconds to 50 seconds theres two blobs, one near top right corner, another about a third from the left and about quarter up. And around 1.53 there's a couple. Also find it a little odd that on some scenes you can hear what is happening in the background (such as the guy with the big grinder wheel) but not in others.
Other than that I like it :)

Last edited:
In one or two of the individual clips of the showreel, it appears there is dust on your sensor eg from 45 seconds to 50 seconds theres two blobs, one near top right corner, another about a third from the left and about quarter up. And around 1.53 there's a couple. Also find it a little odd that on some scenes you can hear what is happening in the background (such as the guy with the big grinder wheel) but not in others.
Other than that I like it :)

Yeah sensor cleaning is in the diary, probably the thing i hate most about it haha. Sound design is an interesting one because it works well for some clips and not as well for others, depends on loads of factors but we'll be aiming to improve that for our next showreel for sure

Video has a reference screen and environment which you use to colour grade. If you stray too far from this, you can't be sure of how it will look on any screen.

The black level shifts between shots which suggests to me you didn't PLUGE the screen.

Back