New visitor

Red in tooth & claw....for sure.

It looks like one less Blackbird!

Nice set. I don't know this birds ID for certain, I'm really not familiar with them, but I'm guessing it's a sparrow hawk???

Nice set. I don't know this birds ID for certain, I'm really not familiar with them, but I'm guessing it's a sparrow hawk???
Yes, it is a Sparrow Hawk

AFAIK only likely raptor to be seen with prey in UK gardens......as we have seen over the years. In our cases, it was taking Collared Doves and even a Wood Pigeon.

Though I think on one occasion it took on a flyby a Blue Tit!

IMO having a Sparrow Hawk around is s sign of a healthy bird population, afteral you only get an apex predator where there is (it's) food.

@Box Brownie I've seen them take a wood pigeon in my garden too - dragged it into the hedge - couldn't lift it!
Yes, a wood Pigeon is too much to carry away whole....once it was disturbed and failed to return. I ended up having to bury the remains in the garden.

Collared Doves on the other hand, once plucked they get carried off.

I've seen one fly off with a wood pigeon from my garden

I wonder whether it was a female because AFAIK they are that bit larger (and stronger) than the Male?

Last edited:
I've seen one fly off with a wood pigeon from my garden
Yes, it can fly off with woodie. Female Sparrowhawk. Flew off with one of my bantams in the past, but she escaped and came back (as I’ve told before) — somehow the hen was on her back so could engage her feet I guess.

Around here (20 miles east of Stansted Airport) we have a pair of sparrowhawks. Male seems to like starlings and female (much bigger bird) takes wood pigeons. Having said that, we've other raptors too, buzzards galore and, recently, a pair of ofkites. Two types of owls too, tawny and barn (although I haven't seen the barn owls this year). I tend not to see the tawnys either but they make a hell of a racket in the trees!

Oh and great captures OP

Last edited:
Back